Communicate the message

This is the place to discuss the QTH.com Classifieds (http://swap.qth.com). Please be constructive.
N8PQB

Communicate the message

Post by N8PQB »

I recently wrote a bit of opinion and a lot of facts, in the form of a posting in the Classifieds. I started it off with an acknowledgement that it did not belong there but was posted to the area it applied.
My attempt at reaching amateurs who were posting item for sale, to re-direct them to read comments by other amateurs in the various forums. I was flamed by a moderator because it was not a posting for a sale item. Of course it wasn't, the intent was to reach amateurs that DO NOT read the forums. The email I received from a moderator was neither applicable nor called for, as I begin the posting with that acknowlegement. I commend Scott for his strong determination and commitment to the QTH web site, however, I think before sending out crase emails, the instance should be judged on its intent, not on where it was placed.

Regards,
Tom, N8PQB
K4ICL

Post by K4ICL »

Tom:
I recently wrote a bit of opinion and a lot of facts, in the form of a posting in the Classifieds. I started it off with an acknowledgement that it did not belong there but was posted to the area it applied.

Well, gee, Tom, if you knew it did not belong there why did you ignore the rules of our site and post it anyway?
My attempt at reaching amateurs who were posting item for sale, to re-direct them to read comments by other amateurs in the various forums. I was flamed by a moderator because it was not a posting for a sale item.
Please correct me if I am wrong but I think this is the message you received:
YOUR POSTING BELONGS ON SWAP CHAT SITE Perhaps you did not read our ad posting directions. Please do so before you post another ad. The second item shown when you posted this ad was: "2. No "Good Guy" or "Bad Guy" Reports here! - If you wish to place good or bad feedback regarding any of your dealings, please place them in the Feedback Forum." Please re-post this ad there if you have not already done so. Thanks.
Does this appear to be a "flame"? It simply tells you why your posting was deleted.
Of course it wasn't, the intent was to reach amateurs that DO NOT read the forums.
The specific gripes you aired in your posting have been posted on some of the forums for months!

The email I received from a moderator was neither applicable nor called for, as I begin the posting with that acknowledgement.
Tom, acknowledging you are going to break the rules does not make it okay to break the rules. Most users of our site know of and appreciate our attempt to keep the classified advertisements on the Classified site and the feedback and opinions on the Chat site forums. To that end, your posting (not an ad!) was deleted and you were asked to re-post it on the Chat site.

... I think before sending out crase emails, the instance should be judged on its intent, not on where it was placed.
It was judged on its intent, Tom, Your intent was to post your opinion regarding the ad writing practices of others on the Classified site, knowingly ignoring the rules, and now, since you posting was not an ad but, instead, was a opinion,and was deleted, you are upset because you were asked not to do that.

Finally, so there is no misunderstanding, there is no disagreement with your posted opinion regarding gripes about ads posted on the classified site. You will find a much longer list of almost identical gripes on this chat site.

... nuff said.

K4ICL
N8PQB

nuf said

Post by N8PQB »

If you were trying to reach out to folks that DID NOT read the excellent forums, but DID utilitize the Classifieds, where would you post it?
If I had just posted it in the forum, the target would have never been reached.
Yep, nuff said, I was making an attempt to be helpful in some small way, it didn't work, its ok. IMHO my intent and location of the posting were in line, but it violated a rule. So be it.
I am not angry, but disappointed I wasn't able to communicate properly, my opinion.
In consideration of the real estate, boats, R/C airplanes, etc that are posted and allowed to be there, I think my subject matter was more in line of the rules.

As you said, nuff said.

73 to all,
Tom, N8PQB