Item location for "pick-up only"

This is the place to discuss the QTH.com Classifieds (http://swap.qth.com). Please be constructive.
NR9R

Item location for "pick-up only"

Post by NR9R »

I cannot resist posting something about this any longer- :P

I am in the process of building a station and have been browsing QTH.com often in search of a tower available near me. In this process, I have been surprised that while these items indicate "NO SHIPPING PICK-UP ONLY," about half of these adds actually include the location of the item in the listing!

Please indicate where the item is located if it is not shippable.

Thanks,

Anthony
AB0ER

tower shipping

Post by AB0ER »

I shipped a tower last year. It wasnt very difficult
N6ATF

Post by N6ATF »

Tower business is tricky... if I had a tower to sell, I would decide to post the address depending on two things:

1) The tower is secured to its base and/or guyed down
2) The tower is laying down, unconnected to anything

There are some crazy stories I've heard out of Florida about people stealing really big things like UHaul vans and palm trees (right up out of the ground).

You never know who's reading your ads... so giving the address would probably only be advisable if the tower were secured, just as with anything.
This person is no longer a member of chat.qth.com
NR9R

Post by NR9R »

Both of you make valid points but I'm not talking about the seller including an exact address (even though I can easily find it on QRZ.COM). Just listing the state would allow me to at least determine what may or may not be a possibility.
N6ATF

Post by N6ATF »

You may easily find an address on QRZ.com, but it won't necessarily be the location of the tower or even the home address of the licensee, since the FCC only requires a mailing address where you can receive mail.
k3ich

Post by k3ich »

Come on guys, you're getting WAY off the subject.

If you have ANY sale item for pick-up only, simply specify the AREA, such: "Northern Virginia", or, "Seattle WA" , "Mid-Atlantic region" or "Central Transylvania". You don't have to give your exact address.

Give the potential buyer SOME idea where it is, THEN he can decide whether to contact you or not.

It's just a matter of common sense.
N6ATF

Post by N6ATF »

Congratulations AA9OC on your new callsign!