Linking to Ebay Ad's?

This is the place to discuss the QTH.com Classifieds (http://swap.qth.com). Please be constructive.
kc0cf

Linking to Ebay Ad's?

Post by kc0cf »

What is the offical policy on linking to ebay auction ad's?

My opinion, be it humble, and my own, is that if I wanted to browse HAM radio auctions on ebay, I would NOT go to QTH.com 1st, read the posts here that link to the ebay auction, and follow the link to ebay and join in on the bidding.
Flame away, this is only MY opinion, and I am nobody, just some one who browses QTH.com classifieds, and delibertly avoids links to Ebay auctions. :?:
VE2AMN

ebay linking...

Post by VE2AMN »

I am also a nobody, but I share your opinion.
Do two nobodies make somebody? :D
Gilles, in the great white north..
K9FI

Post by K9FI »

Count me in with a like opinion!

That makes "us" The Three Stooges!

:lol:

Next one to chime in makes "us" The Fantastic Four...

:D

Jim, K9FI (and "Curly" at this point!)
:wink:
K8YK

Post by K8YK »

I agree 100%. In fact moment's ago I saw an ad that caught my eye that was followed by me saying to myself "bah, it's on ebay".
N8PQB

Count me in on this one!

Post by N8PQB »

I totally agree with this. Ebay is Ebay.........QTH is QTH,

I read somewhere that most of the equipment on Ebay is "less than expected" and in some cases a none existent item.
That may be unfair to say as I am sure some very nice people advertise on Ebay. But as one said previously, "this is MY opinion".
Over the years I have bought several items from Ebay, and all but one was less than expected. So I don't buy off Ebay anymore.

One additional comment, The ad posting on QTH that automatically throws a RED flag in front of me is, ....
This is the last posting, if it doesn't sell by 9:00 PM its going to Ebay!!
To this I say.... GO TO EBAY WITH YOUR JUNK!
k3ich

Post by k3ich »

I am a silver power seller on ebay with over 3000 positive feedbacks at 99.7% (Yeah I know , Big Deal....) selling lots of boatanchor restoration items etc.

But I would NEVER post an ad on ANY website linking to my eBay listings.

Simply put, it's not fair to the site owner UNLESS, you make a point of donating to EACH AND EVERY one of them you used when your junk sells on eBay.

I really don't understand how some guys can justify this activity in their minds, even on a member paid site such as the ARRL .COM. At the very least, I consider it unethical.
NR9R

Post by NR9R »

I agree for the most part but with a caveat:

Although I have never sold any HAM gear on eBay, after some trying experiences I have had in response to ads I have placed on QTH.com and elsewhere I have thought about using the site in the future. I have had several experiences where I am contacted and an agreement is made about purchasing an item I have for sale only to have the check never arrive and communication cease. Meanwhile, I had informed others that the item had been sold.

With the number of ads that start out "relist" or “buyer backed out," I know I'm not the only one this has happened to. Unfortunately, such listings raise suspicion to potential buyers: "Why did the seller back out?" So there is some consequence to the seller.

For the future, I have thought about listing an item on eBay using the "Buy it now" option and linking this to a classified add. This would give me as the seller the convenience of a rigid transaction and the purchaser would benefit from buyer protection.

In this regard, there are advantages to using eBay as the final purchasing channel while using another classifieds site as the means of repsenting the equipment and communicating through.

Anthony
KA9FOX
Site Admin

eBay auctions

Post by KA9FOX »

Right now, the eBay ads are allowed... I am working on a better way to handle this situation... I appreciate your patience!!

Merry Christmas to all!

73 - Scott KA9FOX
Free Ham Radio Classified Ads: https://swap.QTH.com
WT4J

Ads from another site

Post by WT4J »

It is fine to post other sites on QTH.COM ONLY as a reference after posting here first....Exposure is a sellers greatest asset.
If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand.
N8PQB

Post by N8PQB »

IMHO, Ebay has a questionable trust issue. I have bought a few things on Ebay, all but one was "less than expected". I don't trust what is listed on Ebay, However, despite my opinion that hams are honest with other hams, there is always going to be that 1% that keeps us asking questions.
To repeat and phrase that has been printed here several times.....................
If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is!!
W5ROY

Ebay is ok for some things

Post by W5ROY »

I have purchased a few items from ebay, mostly ham related. I have only been scammed once, and that person was barred from ebay :lol: I am very careful as to checking their feedback. I do not think that this is the place for a link to an ebay listing. Just another Ham bone 8)
Central control for ENMARC storm spotters. KC5EGP master control.