Why do some hams agree to terms on a sale and then back out?

This is the place to discuss the QTH.com Classifieds (http://swap.qth.com). Please be constructive.
kf9z

Why do some hams agree to terms on a sale and then back out?

Post by kf9z »

I have, over the last three days, made agreements via e-mail to purchase two items...a like-new MP-1 antenna with 80-meter coil and a recently posted SGC SG-2000 with PowerTalk head. Both times AFTER a price was agreed upon and the deal was all but finalized (pending payment) the buyers decided they would no longer honor THEIR agreement and took a higher price. I understand that people want to maximize their price on used gear...I want the same thing. Why would they agree on a price (both times it was THEIR counter offer to me and not my offer that they accepted) only to take a higher offer AFTER they e-mailed with confirmation the rig and antenna were mine. I have the e-mail to verify these events. Both times I was told the item was mine pending payment. This happened three days ago on the MP-1 and last night with the SGC. I guess your honor and reputation as a ham means nothing in todays world as hams are becoming more and more like everyone else...no thought of personal responsibility or care of following through. Do not agree on a price and tell someone you will sell them the gear if you do not intend on selling it at that agreed upon price. That is bad business and a quick wat to get a bad rap.

I wanted both items and made plans to get a M.O. out for the gear only to be sniped for very small differences in AGREED UPON prices! The rig was sold for $25 more after we agreed on a price! I am very dissapointed in they way hams operate these days. It is not as I agreed to buy the equipment only to string them along for weeks with no payment...it was THREE DAYS AGO and LAST NIGHT. I am a little bitter (as you can tell) but this is a serious problem for those who think they have gear being held for them only to have it swiped. I guess the small difference in price is worth ruining their name as a ham.

Darren
curt

Re: Why do some hams agree to terms on a sale and then back

Post by curt »

kf9z wrote:I have, over the last three days, made agreements via e-mail to purchase two items...a like-new MP-1 antenna with 80-meter coil and a recently posted SGC SG-2000 with PowerTalk head. Both times AFTER a price was agreed upon and the deal was all but finalized (pending payment) the buyers decided they would no longer honor THEIR agreement and took a higher price. I understand that people want to maximize their price on used gear...I want the same thing. Why would they agree on a price (both times it was THEIR counter offer to me and not my offer that they accepted) only to take a higher offer AFTER they e-mailed with confirmation the rig and antenna were mine. I have the e-mail to verify these events. Both times I was told the item was mine pending payment. This happened three days ago on the MP-1 and last night with the SGC. I guess your honor and reputation as a ham means nothing in todays world as hams are becoming more and more like everyone else...no thought of personal responsibility or care of following through. Do not agree on a price and tell someone you will sell them the gear if you do not intend on selling it at that agreed upon price. That is bad business and a quick wat to get a bad rap.

I wanted both items and made plans to get a M.O. out for the gear only to be sniped for very small differences in AGREED UPON prices! The rig was sold for $25 more after we agreed on a price! I am very dissapointed in they way hams operate these days. It is not as I agreed to buy the equipment only to string them along for weeks with no payment...it was THREE DAYS AGO and LAST NIGHT. I am a little bitter (as you can tell) but this is a serious problem for those who think they have gear being held for them only to have it swiped. I guess the small difference in price is worth ruining their name as a ham.

Darren
First of all a FCC license doesn't equate to moral standards beyond reproach.

Second. These days you mentioned have been going on since the fall and why we all need saved from ourselves. It’s my opinion that everyone should expect as much. I mean look at these boards in the feedback section, there are people praising each other for doing the right thing when in reality the right thing really shouldn’t be made into a big deal, it should just be the norm, but it’s not and why we as humans need something we all are lacking, something that doesn’t come natural, good morals.

I read posts like yours all the time, people expressing shock because another ham acted just like a normal everyday lost souls acts, which to them is absolutely normal. If you don’t believe me, ask them if they think they did something wrong, they feel like they were only acting in their own best interest which is what the root cause of our troubled world is.

Ok I am done. Sorry you got what you believe is snookered. Now you have another angle of perception.

Curt/k3ivb
KA9FOX
Site Admin

Tell us who they are

Post by KA9FOX »

Why not tell us who they are, and give us the facts on the deals. This is, after all, a Feedback Forum.

- Scott KA9FOX
kf9z

Post by kf9z »

Fair enough...but I would rather not get into a flame war with these two fellows. There was only one fellow who listed his gear on QTH.com while the other fellow listed his gear via the FT-817 Yahoo group. It was just a generalization and not an indictment on the fellows involved. I hope that makes sense. The SGC was my main problem as it was something I wanted for some time...but oh well. Nothing in life is for sure until it happens.