Refund question

This is the place to discuss the QTH.com Classifieds (http://swap.qth.com). Please be constructive.
ve3tes

Refund question

Post by ve3tes »

Here goes my question, and I hope I am not in the wrong forum for this type of information, recently I had a radio for sale here on QTH, I had exchanged several emails with a unnamed ham regarding said rig. The unnamed ham then finally after several exchanges claimed to have sent payment via paypal. you guessed it, no payment was indeed received, so I considered the rig still for sale, after all no deal is a done deal until payment arrangements have been fulfilled. To make this long story short I sold the rig to another unnamed ham and about 1 hour after posting the rig as sold, I finally received payment from 1st unnamed ham, I took it on my part to refund his paypal payment ASAP and also included his 3.20 transaction fee which I am not sure if it was required of myself, I just felt obligated to do so. My question for future transactions is this transaction fee refund required on my part or not?

Regards,

Marc Tessier - VE3TES
W4AJF

Refund

Post by W4AJF »

Hi Marc, if you "refunded" his money through Paypal and did it the proper way and within 30 days then no fees would be incurred so you would not have to pay him any fees. However, if you merely paid him back through Paypal and did not follow the REFUND procedure then there would be fees and you would owe him that. . Regards, Adam Farber W4AJF
n9vao

Post by n9vao »

I for one will never use or accept Pay Pal. I have heard too many stories about Pay Pal moving too slow or the buyer being able to call back their money after they know the item was sent. If I sell some thing I take Postal Money Orders only. I won't take chashiers checks because too many fake ones out there.
When the buyer says they sent the money I tell them that from where you live it should take x-amount of days to get to me. I'll give one more day from that and if no money, I contact them and tell them it's not here.