Picture or no picture? condition: Brand new, new, like new?

This is the place to discuss the QTH.com Classifieds (http://swap.qth.com). Please be constructive.
bv2tu

Picture or no picture? condition: Brand new, new, like new?

Post by bv2tu »

Just received a tuner claimed: "like new "(almost new) item which missed 2 legs, 2 screws and the inductor meter won't move at all. (After adjusted the gear, the meter is moving, purchased two legs, the tuner is sitting right)
Is that like new condition sould be 2 legs, 2 screws missed and meter non-working?
Before I made payment, I phoned the gentleman few time's and almost made the seller swearing to god it is like new condition, then when I received the tuner, the rest story you all knew it.
" No picture, becasue I don't have camera", " I can't take the picture now" , yes, not everyone has digital camera, therefore, I trust the ham callsign. When people gave me his callsign and I could find the callsign on the web, I trusted them. However, this didn't work everytime.
I have so many experiences to deal with condition "brand new" which has been open and used, "new" condition which has been use for a while,"like new" condition which missed parts and non-working.
Is it the time we should set a standard for "Brand new", "new", "like new", "used still work" condition?
Is this the time we should ask people to put picture on the web when there's item for sale?
There are many good ham and good guy out there, I just don't want the new comers feel frustrated in the ham radio world.
K4ICL

Regarding Equipment Condition Standards

Post by K4ICL »

A group of equally concerned hams pooled their experience and drafted a ten point scale of condition standards. A web site was created and the ten point scale published for all to see and use.

The response was very mixed, running from "Great" to "nobody gonna tell me how to sell my gear." After a year of site maintenance, the effort was dropped.

If you are interested in seeing the work done on these universal standards, go to http://www.k4icl.com/gradescale.htm

Cheers,

K4ICL
Last edited by K4ICL on Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
bv2tu

This is what we should follow when post your item.

Post by bv2tu »

K4ICL,

This is a very well done web. It clearly describes the condition of the equipment. This web could be a reference, maybe the classifieds home page should make a link to the the web you provided.