When you REALLY don't want to sell it.

This is the place to discuss the QTH.com Classifieds (http://swap.qth.com). Please be constructive.
KB3RPE

Re: NO PICS...ALL CAPS ... AD OPEN AFTER SELLER EMAILS "

Post by KB3RPE »

****************** :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:****************************

Oh, I forgot a couple, people who don't use a call sign when listing items, & "I'm listing for a friend", makes me warm & fuzzy just knowing there's no good way to confirm who you're dealing with?!?!?!
eric

Post by eric »

Or put up a totaly out of this world price and refuse to take offers. I see this on Ebay all the time. There is a Drake TR7/PS7 on Ebay for $1200.00 and the seller wont accept any offer for less money. He even says it is untested sold as is. :lol:
K9FON
No BS ham radio for me. I don't play ham politics, i.e. code/no code, Cb vs Ham, ect, ect.
W1GWU

Post by W1GWU »

Edit your ad EVERY day !
I scan the red "E" on the first two pages and skip those.
I sometimes miss a price reduction, but only one out of about 50 to 100.
To me the red "E" is a flag - "I just can't sell this crap"

Bob W1GWU
w8jn

You forgot

Post by w8jn »

Al,
You forgot, "First pmo gets it". That makes me want to run to the P.O. and express mail a pmo only to be told "you're second, too bad"
73 Paul w8jn

ps,
I don't include my phone number. You can't imagine how many calls you get with hams who want to "rag chew" about their equipment. When I find someone who really is ready willing and able to purchase, I send them my cell #.
W4YG.Clarence

Post by W4YG.Clarence »

You can also edit your ad as much as twice a day to keep it at top of the listings, forcing your fellow hams to have to see it for the 50th time. This will (a) lead people to believe you are desparate to sell the item, or (b) show potential buyers that you cannot be trusted to follow qth.com editing guidelines, and therefore may not be trustworthy in describing the condition of your item.
WV4I

Re: When you REALLY don't want to sell it.

Post by WV4I »

oh well why not....

You folks forgot....

Call it a "unit", claim works 100% but no mike, keyer, manual, power cord.

Display absolutely no knowledge of the "unit", especially when it works 100%.

Works great, 100%, but will not be DOA.

Worked when last turned on.

Tell me you're on to scammers, serious only inquire, will investigate you/me.

And yes there are lots of buyers out there that hopefully are not serious about buying because they are a problem waiting to happen.
wz3o

Post by wz3o »

Yep, this thread and others have been open a while & honest hams should know better... and yet there are still "hams" that USE ALL CAPS, you have to beg for pics, can't spell (spell check!!!!)...etc, etc, ad-infinitum...

My #1, wait for it.......
................................. no price........guess they're giving it away for free.......
:D :lol: Enjoy swapping/shopping and keep entertained...
:roll:
WV4I wrote:oh well why not....

You folks forgot....

Call it a "unit", claim works 100% but no mike, keyer, manual, power cord.

Display absolutely no knowledge of the "unit", especially when it works 100%.

Works great, 100%, but will not be DOA.

Worked when last turned on.

Tell me you're on to scammers, serious only inquire, will investigate you/me.

And yes there are lots of buyers out there that hopefully are not serious about buying because they are a problem waiting to happen.
wz3o

Re: NO PICS...ALL CAPS AD OPEN AFTER SELLER EMAILS "SOL

Post by wz3o »

KB3RPE wrote::roll: My favorites *** No Pics/"Pics for serious buyers only" ... ALL CAPS ... Ad still open DAYS/WEEKS after seller's curt email response of "SOLD" ** :roll:
***** My 2 ¢, your mileage may vary, objects look closer in mirror *****
***** BOLD/CAPS intentional ***** :wink:

IMHO I like "if serious will send pictures" does that mean they're incapable of uploading one?!?!?! :mrgreen:
wz3o

Re: NO PICS...ALL CAPS ... AD OPEN AFTER SELLER EMAILS "SOL

Post by wz3o »

KB3RPE wrote::roll: My favorites *** No Pics/"Pics for serious buyers only" ... ALL CAPS ... Ad still open DAYS/WEEKS after seller's curt email response of "SOLD" ** :roll:
***** My 2 ¢, your mileage may vary, objects look closer in mirror *****
***** BOLD/CAPS intentional ***** :wink:
Just wanted to repost with my Vanity Call, reiterate PICTURES , PICTURES, PICTURES!!! IMHO it just shows ignorance, arrogance or incompetence... not some one to do business with...
OBTW, a new gripe just list item, price & as few details as you can , I ignore these like the plague. No effort on your part, no purchase on my part... :wink:
KW4HKY

Post by KW4HKY »

Cap Lock. I don't even look at the ad with all capital fonts.
kg8lb

Post by kg8lb »

Actually it is quite arrogant and ignorant to conclude that by posting no pictures the seller is a slacker . If indeed it keeps responses from people like w3zo to a minimum , the lack of pics becomes a great filter . There is absolutely nothing wrong with listing a local sale only , inspect in person sale . People selling an item may set the terms for the sale fully realizing that they may be turning away potential buyers , often that is the very intent . Not wanting to deal with fraudulent buyers , a seller who lists pick up only meets in person with the buyer , the buyer inspects , tests and becomes responsible for payment and transportation .

Pretty easy stuff to understand , unless arrogance and ignorance cloud your view .
OK, So where are the filters now ?
ku3x

Post by ku3x »

Don't for those guys that post a picture up side down ! My first impression, when I see that, is if the idiot can't even take post a picture, how could he operate ham gear?
As soon as I see an up side down picture, I exit and never ever read the add.
Brarry
ku3x

Post by ku3x »

Don't forget, "Make sure the picture you post is up side down !"
Barry
N9LCD

Post by N9LCD »

"...with original, unopened manual..."

I don't know about buying something from a seller who apparently didn't bother to read the manual.

What's the electrical condition of the gear???

N9LCD
w0bkr

Post by w0bkr »

I like the clowns that advertise on many of the swap forums, you email them since there is no phone number listed, inquirying about their so called item for sale and you never hear from them...why bother posting if you really have no intention of selling anything?

One poster I encountered recently stated he had an item for sale, takes PP, etc. and I ask, "what is your PP info and will buy your item" (K6***). Of course, I never hear from this stooge. I pull up his QRZ info and reply to that email also, and finally after 3 days, tells me he sold it yesterday and that was the first email he rcvd. No big deal to me, but I let him know that i responded off EHAM and they have a default email address on file, so why are you NOT getting those emails??? I also told him, glad he sold his item, even though he never bothered to indicate such in his posting, and that I had responded prior to his sale. Go figure. I had sent multiple emails and not one response...so..what am I suppose to do? I suppose hold out and see if this character will respond or just keep looking and if I find another, blow it off? It puts potential buyers in a bad spot to "guess" what a seller is doing or not doing, has or doesn't have and not ending up with two people now telling you their item is yours. I suppose, move on and forget about it since they didn't bother to really want to sell the item anyway. Why bother posting if you have no intention of responding to buyers? Could be some are that lazy that if they sold the item posted, they can't update a posting or delete it when the item is no longer available? Or is it individuals figure, why answer an email, I sold it and it isn't available, but I didn't bother to delete or update the posting....LOL? Sure is bizarre to me....

I see lots of postings that are really really old that I Know the item was sold...there should be a time limit, say 2 weeks to 30 days and then the website erases their postings. Sure would be nice...some have it, and many don't.
n5wrx

Post by n5wrx »

Yeah when you really dont want to sell it just add any of these to the description.
Pick Up Only ... AS IS due to part swappers ... cant test it but it worked the last time I used it 10 years ago.
Dont post any photos of the equipment.
Or just price it $100 less (no warranty) that you can buy a new one for.
bmWB8CAC

Post by bmWB8CAC »

Loved reading a lot of this. This morning I saw an ad with a NEW great way to not sell an item. Here's a cut from it (Not showing the item or seller info).

##############
Ham Radio is an expensive hobby.
IF YOU CANNOT AFFORD POSTAGE, HAM RADIOS NOT FOR YOU. Try CB.
.Anyone trying to con me into paying postage will be blacklisted permanently.

If I had been looking for a particular item for years, and it showed up in an ad with this statement, I wouldn't buy it.

Bob WB8CAC
bmWB8CAC

Post by bmWB8CAC »

Loved reading a lot of this. This morning I saw an ad with a NEW great way to not sell an item. Here's a cut from it (Not showing the item or seller info).

##############
Ham Radio is an expensive hobby.
IF YOU CANNOT AFFORD POSTAGE, HAM RADIOS NOT FOR YOU. Try CB.
.Anyone trying to con me into paying postage will be blacklisted permanently.

If I had been looking for a particular item for years, and it showed up in an ad with this statement, I wouldn't buy it.

Bob WB8CAC