Unable to contact classified sellers

This is the place to discuss the QTH.com Classifieds (http://swap.qth.com). Please be constructive.
shunky

Unable to contact classified sellers

Post by shunky »

Hi, Bob here, newly retired and getting into Ham Radio hobby. I was in the CB world many years ago. I bought a Kenwood ts820s and had it brought back to life. (like old stuff).
I started to study for my first license, obviously do not have a call sign yet, and because of that unable to contact sellers. Usually no phone # or email listed. Trying to get most of my equipment while I am studying. Any suggestions??

thanks,
Bob
n5wrx

Re: Unable to contact classified sellers

Post by n5wrx »

If you dont have a ham call I will not deal with you anyway.
Not trying to imply any thing bad about you ... its just that there are to many scammers trolling the forums looking for a quick buck.
shunky

Post by shunky »

I understand the scammer problem, but scammers do not SEND money via pay pal or postal money orders, they only take money.
n5wrx

Post by n5wrx »

shunky wrote:I understand the scammer problem, but scammers do not SEND money via pay pal or postal money orders, they only take money.
They DO send money by PayPal ... they have figured out a way to scam you using PayPal.
The buyer sends you a small percentage of what you are asking and has a friend send you the rest.
The friend later files a "never got the stuff" claim and you can not prove you sent him anything so he gets his refund.
The original "buyer" keeps the radio and you are screwed.

This is just one example of how you can get screwed by PayPal ... there are others.
NK7Z

Post by NK7Z »

n5wrx wrote:
shunky wrote:I understand the scammer problem, but scammers do not SEND money via pay pal or postal money orders, they only take money.
The buyer sends you a small percentage of what you are asking and has a friend send you the rest.
The friend later files a "never got the stuff" claim and you can not prove you sent him anything so he gets his refund.
The original "buyer" keeps the radio and you are screwed.

This is just one example of how you can get screwed by PayPal ... there are others.
No... It is just another example of how one can screw oneself using paypal... Paypal is not to blame for stupidity on the seller's part. I would not touch a deal like that, (and I would hope no one else would), with the proverbial, ten foot pole.
73's and thanks,
For equipment reviews and setups see:
http://www.nk7z.net
w0bkr

Post by w0bkr »

I run into that too. They post stuff for sale and you send an email inquiring if it (item) is still available and never receive responses. I have run into that a lot as of late. I suspect some folks are too damn lazy to delete a post or at least update it with current info. Whatever. Just move on and look elsewhere is about all one can do.