What does this mean?

This is the place to discuss the QTH.com Classifieds (http://swap.qth.com). Please be constructive.
VE2AMN

What does this mean?

Post by VE2AMN »

Just saw an ad for a IC-745 in pretty good shape.
The ad states that it has "no mod, can be easily opened".....

What does this mean???
Gilles, in the great white north..
KE3GK

Post by KE3GK »

"no mod, can be easily opened" To me that means STAY AWAY - DO NOT BUY.
nova1010

Re: What does this mean?

Post by nova1010 »

VE2AMN wrote:Just saw an ad for a IC-745 in pretty good shape.
The ad states that it has "no mod, can be easily opened".....

What does this mean???
"no mod, (has not been modified)can be easily opened"can be modified to receive or transmitt on more frequencys,hope this answers your question.
Shawn(nova1010)
nova1010

Post by nova1010 »

KE3GK wrote:"no mod, can be easily opened" To me that means STAY AWAY - DO NOT BUY.
Nice straight answer Im sure that helped him out :roll:
Shawn(nova1010)
KE3GK

Post by KE3GK »

[quote="nova1010
Nice straight answer Im sure that helped him out :roll:[/quote]

Well, thanks for your very helpful comment. That straightened me out. I didn't realize that he didn't understand the English language. :shock: Thanks for answering 6 month old questions too ... God knows after 6 months - we needed your comment.
nova1010

Post by nova1010 »

KE3GK wrote:[quote="nova1010
Nice straight answer Im sure that helped him out :roll:
Well, thanks for your very helpful comment. That straightened me out. I didn't realize that he didn't understand the English language. :shock: Thanks for answering 6 month old questions too ... God knows after 6 months - we needed your comment.[/quote]

Well first of all KE3GK, if he didnt understand the english language,why did you respond in english,just because he's from Quebec does'nt mean he cant understand english,and as for a 6 mounth old question,I'm surprised it took this long for someone to answer his question,and you being a fellow ham could have given him a straight answer insted of the a lame one.,have a nice day. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Shawn(nova1010)
KE3GK

Post by KE3GK »

You must have a Canadian inferiority complex ... I said nothing about, nor insinuated that he, didn't understand english. The point that I made was for your benefit, not his. In matter of fact, I had no idea he was from Quebec when I answered his original question. It wasn't until you pointed that out, that I took notice.

To the point - he asked what that phrase meant and I told him what that phrase meant to me.

IE; "To me that means STAY AWAY - DO NOT BUY."

Let me expain in english what that means to me for you.

If someone goes through the trouble of telling you that a ham radio hasn't had any mods done to it, and that it can 'easily' be opened up. That raises a red flag to me. Especially if it is being sold by a non-ham or some unknown seller. In other words, the seller may be telling me that he has played with the radio, monkeyed with it, screwed it up, and is now trying to pawn it off on one of us.

How many times have you heard "Well, it worked fine when I last tested it" or "it worked when it left here". I have read all the complaints, and watched the finger pointing long enough to read when something 'smells' fishy.

So I hope that I gave him a good explanation of what that means to me. I would rather err on the side of caution, than play - happy go lucky - and help a fellow ham get ripped off.

So in closing, my comments may be lame to you, but I am sure to many, hold true.
nova1010

Post by nova1010 »

Ok well said and I do get you point of veiw,and now he has 2 meanings ,and there is no Canadian inferiority complex here.let leave it at that. :lol:
Shawn(nova1010)
VE2AMN

Post by VE2AMN »

Hey please, guys! Stop it! :D

Yes, I`m from Québec, and a franco, and I can read, write, speak and understand English.

My original post was meant as a sarcastic way to draw attention to the fact that some ads shouldn`t be here...
The answer I got was exactly what I wanted to read.
Had I known, I would never have posted.....
Sorry, it won`t happen again.....until... :lol: :lol:

73, and ni hard feelings!
VE2AMN

Post by VE2AMN »

Oooops! Typo.
NO hard feelings.....
:oops: