New HAM old HAM gets ripped off - read all about it!

This is the place to discuss the QTH.com Classifieds (http://swap.qth.com). Please be constructive.
jpnorth

New HAM old HAM gets ripped off - read all about it!

Post by jpnorth »

Folks,
I want to pass along a story to you...
I recently replied to an ad in QTH.com for a Hustler 5-BTV antenna from an 86 year old ham. He bought the antenna at a ham fest a few years back. The old timer paid $125 for it. He took the antenna home and it sat in the box for a few more years until he decided to put it up for sale. I bought the antenna off the old timer for $125 with free shipping. Don, the dear old timer, drove many miles to ship it to me and he found out it would cost $67.90 UPS ground. He paid the freight costs sent me the tracking number. A few days later I got the 6 foot, 20 pound box and opened it.
Instead of a decent looking antenna, (note: this antenna sells for 159.95 with free shipping from DX Engineering) what I found was a 15 year old worn out, gouged and cut up piece of crap of a vertical antenna, missing many parts to boot! I wrote the old timer back with what I discovered and the poor old guy was dismayed and upset by the photos I sent him. He like me got screwed into thinking this antenna was “like new and still in the box”. The old timer took the sellers word and never opened the box before he shelled out $125 bucks; Actually $135 buck -$10 bucks for “handling” fee.
The old timer was so worried about his good reputation, he contacted the…let’s call him “HAM FEST HAM” who sold the antenna to Don. HAM FEST HAM, claimed all innocence in the matter and told the old timer it was not like new condition...yet HAM FEST HAM sold the antenna to the old timer for near list price!
Take a read what Don, the old timer writes me and HAM FEST HAM …
“I am an honest 86 year old ham licensed for over 56 years and never knowingly "SCREWED" a fellow ham. John and I were both taken. I am going to pay John whatever is needed to put it in usable condition and keep my good reputation”.
Later the old ham writes…
John,
Why don't I just order a new antenna and pay for it and have it shipped to you directly ????
I agreed but secretly planned to send the old timer another check to cover the difference between the $125 I gave him for the worthless antenna and the new one ($35)plus the $67.90 shipping cost for the crap antenna…
Then I get this email from the old timer…
John.
This transaction with HAM FEST HAM cost me $ 362.85 and I do not have a thing to show for it but my pride in being honest, that is the way I was brought up. I'm almost 86 years old living on social security a pension of $127.02 and one for $103.42 a month and my XYL's social security. But we have been married 42 years and still have each other.
God Bless.
So what’s my point?
As a new ham myself- I got my tech and general licenses the first part of this year; it doesn’t matter where you turn today, there are greedy creeps out there willing to screw over anyone. I only hope there is a special place in Hell for them. Bottom line: I will be sending Don the 86 year old another check for $150 bucks…so I wind up paying $275 because of despicable folks like HAM FEST HAM.
I look forward to your comments!
John
KF5UMC
km5gj

Re: New HAM old HAM gets ripped off - read all about it!

Post by km5gj »

First of all the original poster of this thread is a third party to the transaction. I did sell the antenna to the 86 year old ham mentioned but it was only about three months ago. I sold it here on QTH with a picture posted. I sold exactly what was in the picture, a used but working Hustler 5BTV antenna. I don't even know this guy and have not had any control over this antenna in over three months. No it was not brand new, I never said it was. If you want a bright shiny new antenna then buy one. The Spiders were missing but anybody that has ever used this antenna knows they don't matter anyway. Yes the U-Bolts were missing because I used straight bolts to mount it. This antenna had been used to make contacts all over the world. I never advertised a complete antenna, only the working antenna in the photograph. NO I WILL NOT RETURN ANY MONEY AFTER ALL THIS TIME MUCH LESS BASED UPON THE CLAIMS OF A THIRD PARTY.
Charlie KM5GJ
jpnorth

Post by jpnorth »

So this is how Ham Fest Hams work it...I'm the third party that got screwed along with this old man! Ham Fest Ham got caught ripping the old timer off and too cheap to man up to give the old timer at least half of the135 bucks back...

Here is what went down...
message to me from the Old timer ham Don-to me, after I discovered the sorry condition of the antenna! As I keep saying to Ham Fest Ham- how could you sell a 15 year old antenna is such sad shape and at near list price?????

John.
I am really sorry that I did not open the box. I knew coming from a ham that it was used but to what extent I did not know. I am more than willing to send you a check for whatever you honestly think it needs to get it in shape. That's twice in about 3 months that I have been taken advantage of. The last deal was on a Collins 30L-1. It is getting so you can't trust a ham anymore. I have been a ham over 56 years with the same call and have always tried to be honest as all the "old timers" have been.
Let me know what I owe you and I will get the money right out to you in the mail. Very sorry for the inconvenience.
God Bless,
Don

In a message dated 8/6/2013 9:28:26 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, johnpnorth@yahoo.com writes:

Hello Don-
Next time open the box!!!
You wrote...Selling my Hustler 5-BTV Antenna I just purchased from KM5GJ (this guy SCREWED YOU AND ME!) as the "Boss" says no more antennas in the yard. “Never opened the box”. Comes with the manual and 80 meter resonator. Works 10-15-20-40-75/80 meters.Self supporting.Had been stored inside for years.
Asking what I payed Charles for it. $125.00 SHIPPED
I received the antenna today and after I opened the box, What a SHOCK! I think you and I got taken. This antenna is at least 10 years old! Never opened the box tells me it’s almost NEW LIKE CONDITION! The tubes are scratched and gouged. They are marked with a sharpie pen for alignment…It’s missing the mounting hardware – both saddle clamps (u-bolts Saddle clamps Stainless $6.99 each) are missing and worse about a ½” piece of the u-bolt is bent inside the mounting bracket hole. Makes me think this antenna was dragged through the swap with the dirt on it!
Both spiders are missing. Spider pn HUS-4457-1 ($9.50) and Spider HUS-9471 ($22.95). All the trap covers PN HUS-TRAPCVR-P ($13.94 – 4 pack) are cracked and wrapped with electrical tape…no telling how corroded the coils are. I’m not sure I want to even hook this antenna to my radio!
At this point the replacement cost is at least $67.36.
The base 4098-1 ($53.75) is in bad shape The coax connector is corroded and the base is warped and cracked. The 80 meter option is a mess.
See photos…
A new 5BTV-5 antenna costs 160 bucks and free shipping! For 2 twenties I could have bought a new one. http://www.dxengineering.com/parts/hsr-5btv.
Link to all replacement parts
http://www.dxengineering.com/parts/hsr- ... ment-parts
In short I am very upset with this purchase and this antenna was not even worth the $67.90 shipping cost! What a way to treat a “New” ham.
John
jpnorth

Post by jpnorth »

km5gj wrote:First of all the original poster of this thread is a third party to the transaction. I did sell the antenna to the 86 year old ham mentioned but it was only about three months ago. I sold it here on QTH with a picture posted. I sold exactly what was in the picture, a used but working Hustler 5BTV antenna. I don't even know this guy and have not had any control over this antenna in over three months. No it was not brand new, I never said it was. If you want a bright shiny new antenna then buy one. The Spiders were missing but anybody that has ever used this antenna knows they don't matter anyway. Yes the U-Bolts were missing because I used straight bolts to mount it. This antenna had been used to make contacts all over the world. I never advertised a complete antenna, only the working antenna in the photograph. NO I WILL NOT RETURN ANY MONEY AFTER ALL THIS TIME MUCH LESS BASED UPON THE CLAIMS OF A THIRD PARTY.
Charlie KM5GJ

I have the PROOF on my door step...not just the claim!
John
K4ICL

Post by K4ICL »

John.
This transaction with HAM FEST HAM cost me $ 362.85 and I do not have a thing to show for it but my pride in being honest, that is the way I was brought up. I'm almost 86 years old living on social security a pension of $127.02 and one for $103.42 a month and my XYL's social security. But we have been married 42 years and still have each other.
I am confused. I thought he payed $125 for it. Is this correct?

AL
K4ICL
jpnorth

Post by jpnorth »

K4ICL wrote:
John.
I am confused. I thought he payed $125 for it. Is this correct?

AL
K4ICL
First...
Actual ad that ran by Ham Fest Ham, For your reference, here is a copy of the ad you are responding to:
>
> Listing Number: 1070113
> Date Ad was Placed: 06/07/13
> Name: Charles Wells
> Phone Number: 479-632-5656
> Callsign: KM5GJ
> Category: ANTHF
> Heading: FOR SALE: HUSTLER 5BTV
> Ad Message:
> Hustler 5BTV 5-band HF vertical antenna with 80 meter resonator and installation manual. The 5BTV is designed as self-supporting vertical to provide optimum operation in the 10, 15, 20, 40, and 75/80 meter bands. This antenna will perform well in restricted space areas. It provides for the electrical selection of bands through the use of optimum Q traps, which are individually and precisely tuned and internally sealed at the factory. The traps are parallel-tuned circuits, which provide efficient isolation between the vertical sections, permitting easy multi-band single coax operation. Broadband operation, with low SWR over the entire ham band, is possible in a proper installation. Stored dry in the top of my carport. Purchased to build a flagpole antenna then changed my mind.
> .
> Pickup at my QTH in Alma AR or Branson MO 100.00 cash
> .
> I can build a box and ship the antenna lower 48 states for 125.00 payment by USPS money order only. No paypal, sorry.
> .
FAST FORWARD...
Let's run the numbers...
$125 paid by old ham to HFH
$10 for box paid by old ham to HFH
$67.90 old ham paid to ship antenna to me
159.95 old ham bought me a new antenna as a replacement...
total out of pocket=362.85
minus $125 I sent old ham...his total
Loss is $237.85 plus crap antenna I now have...

My losses
$67.90 TO COVER THE SHIPPING COST OF THE CRAP ANTENNA- BTW OLD HAM'S AD READ FREE SHIPPING..
$34.95 DIFFERENCE BETWEEN NEW AND CRAPPY ANTENNA 159.95-125 =34.95
67.90+34.95 = $102.84 +125 (check I sent for Crap Antenna)

WHAT I WILL BE DOING...Send a check for 102.84? NO. The actual check will be made out for $150.00 to help cover the losses from HAM FEST HAM...so the old ham lost is only 87.85...which needs to be paid by the CREEP HAM FEST HAM!

I strongly urge everyone to read this...found this write up in QTH.com today...it was written back 5 years ago...and based on our experiences with greedy people like HAM FEST HAM...(the very one who said I'm a third party to this B.S.) sorry to say below still applies today!

Well I am going to say what I am sure many Hams visiting this and other swap sites are thinking. Why the hell are most of you guys selling USED, sometimes VERY USED equipment for 80-100% of new prices. Ham radio is on the decline for several reasons one of them is the access to AFFORDABLE equipment. Anyone asking 90% for a well used piece of equipment should be ashamed of themselves. They are doing themselves and more importantly the Ham community a huge disservice. I have been into ham for 30 years and it was not always like this. I can honestly say I am disgusted and the level of greed exercised by a growing number of hams. Anyone thinking of buying used equipment should do a little research and you may find that MANY of the people selling used equipment on this site are asking almost new prices. And if they say it is still under warranty, you better check that out to because the manufacturer may not transfer warranties. So is it worth it to save $50 dollars on a piece of equipment selling for just over $700 new? I can site COUNTLESS examples. One being the FT 857D which sells for around $700 (with the separation kit) new if you look around, while some on the site are/were asking almost the same price and the radio is 2 years old! If you want your equipment to be worthless in 10 years keep the prices high so no up and coming hams can afford equipment and not get into the hobby. If you are not selling antiques or collector radios/equipment chances are that prices go down. Just because you paid $500 for something 5 years ago does not warrent you selling it for the same price or more. Thanks but I think I will buy new from now on! Shame on you and you know who you are!

Thanks
Dan
VE6ZM

K4ICL

Post by K4ICL »

Ah, got it. I missed the commo that he actually sent you a new antenna. Makes sense now.

AL
K4ICL