Do you need a call?

This is the place to discuss the QTH.com Classifieds (http://swap.qth.com). Please be constructive.
Bicycle Bob

Do you need a call?

Post by Bicycle Bob »

I Am new to Ham ,and found this site great for used equipment. My ? is does one need to have a call sign to sell on here? I might have made a mistake and purchased a HT from a person that did not have a call. I had noticed this later There has been no contact for 3weeks/check has been chashed. I hope that this is not a learned exprience. Maybe if there is no such policy that one must have a call to post not that this might ensure that one may be taken, it does give more accountabilty . Bob W7NYC :?:
KA9FOX
Site Admin

No requirement to have a callsign here.

Post by KA9FOX »

There is no requirement to have a callsign to buy and sell here. There are SWLs, people that are trying to get their license trying to buy equipment, and people that are no longer licensed that don't want their equipment.

That said, on my Safe Trading Tips (see http://chat.qth.com/viewtopic.php?t=12 ) my #1 tip is to NOT deal with people that are not licensed hams.

- Scott KA9FOX
Free Ham Radio Classified Ads: https://swap.QTH.com
nova1010

Re: No requirement to have a callsign here.

Post by nova1010 »

That said, on my Safe Trading Tips (see http://chat.qth.com/viewtopic.php?t=12 ) my #1 tip is to NOT deal with people that are not licensed hams.

- Scott KA9FOX
I dont have a ham license,does this make me a bad dealer? I always ship first.only had a bad deal once,.I almost lost a very expensive radio ....to a ham,yes a ham this is the reason I trusted him,there are crooked people hams and non hams.
Shawn(nova1010)
KE3GK

Post by KE3GK »

nova1010 wrote:
ka9fox wrote:

- Scott KA9FOX
I dont have a ham license,does this make me a bad dealer? I always ship first. only had a bad deal once,.I almost lost a very expensive radio ....to a ham,yes a ham this is the reason I trusted him,there are crooked people hams and non hams.
Since you seem to be going around today answering year old messages with snide comments ... let me ask you ...

What do you have for sale ? :lol:
nova1010

Post by nova1010 »

KE3GK wrote:
nova1010 wrote:[quote="

- Scott KA9FOX
I dont have a ham license,does this make me a bad dealer? I always ship first. only had a bad deal once,.I almost lost a very expensive radio ....to a ham,yes a ham this is the reason I trusted him,there are crooked people hams and non hams.
Since you seem to be going around today answering year old messages with snide comments ... let me ask you ...

What do you have for sale ? :lol:
[/quote]

I have an Icon R-1,a BC350c,and might be selling my BC785d(with card),I dont find my answers snide,just answering and posting my opinion and exsperiences thats all,and there you go again with the year old thing,I'm also trying to keep the post going,if no one is suposed to reply to old post why are they not deleted?give me a break KE3GK and go pick a fight with someone else,enough said lol :lol: :lol: :lol:
Shawn(nova1010)
KE3GK

Post by KE3GK »

Great ... send me the Icom R-1 ... price doesn't matter. :D After I get done with family emergency, and being away on business for awhile, oh, and my hospital stay, I'll send you a check. Well, actually, my associate up in Kitchener will send you a large check, you deposit it and send me the difference.

It does work doesn't it ?

Of course, I'm joking ...
nova1010

Post by nova1010 »

lol :lol: thats the kind of responces I run from,nice try though,Im about 20 minutes away fro Kitchener ,I see you know how to use a map,doesnt mean your getting my R-1 lol :lol:
Shawn(nova1010)
KA9FOX
Site Admin

Post by KA9FOX »

nova1010 wrote:I dont have a ham license,does this make me a bad dealer? I always ship first.only had a bad deal once,.I almost lost a very expensive radio ....to a ham,yes a ham this is the reason I trusted him,there are crooked people hams and non hams.
C'mon man. This is a ham radio web site, where hams come to buy and sell ham radio equipment. It is a major red flag when a non-ham gets involved, wanting to buy and sell ham radio equipment.

No, it doesn't make you a bad dealer. It makes you a bad risk, compared to dealing with a ham.

Ham or not, there are no guarantees. But I'll take a deal with a ham over a non-ham anyday. The number of e-mails I receive about bad deals tells me CLEARLY you are at a much greater risk if you deal with a non-ham.

73 - Scott KA9FOX
Free Ham Radio Classified Ads: https://swap.QTH.com
nova1010

Post by nova1010 »

KA9FOX wrote:
nova1010 wrote:I dont have a ham license,does this make me a bad dealer? I always ship first.only had a bad deal once,.I almost lost a very expensive radio ....to a ham,yes a ham this is the reason I trusted him,there are crooked people hams and non hams.
C'mon man. This is a ham radio web site, where hams come to buy and sell ham radio equipment. It is a major red flag when a non-ham gets involved, wanting to buy and sell ham radio equipment.

No, it doesn't make you a bad dealer. It makes you a bad risk, compared to dealing with a ham.

Ham or not, there are no guarantees. But I'll take a deal with a ham over a non-ham anyday. The number of e-mails I receive about bad deals tells me CLEARLY you are at a much greater risk if you deal with a non-ham.

73 - Scott KA9FOX
And you probly received an email from me a while back too Scott about a deal I had with a Ham, funny how thats the ONLY bad deal I had,maybe this "HAM" thought he could rip off a nonham like me.I do get your point though Scott,it was real easy for me to track this ham down,because of his call,as it would be harder to track down a nonham,but when I deal with people Im not too sure about I provide and expect them to provide a contact number,references are always good too which I have provided to hams Ive traded or sold to in the past.,as far as Im concerned ham or non ham,theres bad in both,just that ones easier to track dowm than the other,and I dont think Im a risk to anyone if I ship first...thinking about get my Ham licence soon. alot of deals I couldnt get because of the fact of being a nonham,
Shawn(nova1010)
blake

trust

Post by blake »

you can still get stiffed if they are hams or not. i have traded with many people on here from other sites like radio reference and strong signals. and qth. ps hello nova1010.
nova1010

Re: trust

Post by nova1010 »

wendall wrote:you can still get stiffed if they are hams or not. i have traded with many people on here from other sites like radio reference and strong signals. and qth. ps hello nova1010.
hey buddy whats up. :)
Shawn(nova1010)