part swappers

This is the place to discuss the QTH.com Classifieds (http://swap.qth.com). Please be constructive.
w9dp

part swappers

Post by w9dp »

What is the deal with so many people that won't stand behind their equipment due to "parts swappers"?

Yes, I understand their are a few unscrupulous people that will take advantage of others if they get the chance, but the people that offer something to sell and refuse to stand behind it because of a couple of bad eggs are calling everyone a cheat. Suppose everyone buying equipment regarded the sellers in the same manner? Nothing would ever be sold.

I refuse to deal with anyone that that has so little trust in me that they would say such a thing.

That said, there are a lot of great sellers on here to deal with, in many years of buying and selling on QTH, I have never been ripped off.

NG9R
jmh

Re: part swappers

Post by jmh »

Occurs more often than most realize, especially if using PayPal. Happened to me. Sold a perfect functioning TS-450SAT to ham in Arkansas a while back. He received then one day later claimed to rig would not receive, and filed a complaint with PayScam. PayScam refunded his money, even though I provided 100% proof that the rig was operating great. Once I received the rig back, I removed the cover for inspection. The idiot had swapped out 2 PCB’s and forgot to reconnect the interconnecting cables. PayScam didn’t give a crap that I was the one scammed.
W3ESE

Post by W3ESE »

Pretty sad!
Maybe QTH needs to start a new forum, maybe titled "Parts Swappers Listing", so anyone burned by a parts swapper can (and should) list the crooks call sign, and the particulars. Is that too extreme? :mrgreen:
n5wrx

Post by n5wrx »

Its a fact of life ... there are people willing to cheat you over just about anything.
Ever post an item on Craigslist?
You will immediately get half a dozen reply's from scammers offering to buy your item.

Point is ... no matter who or where ... you open yourself to being cheated every time you sell or buy something.
Hamfests are getting real bad about being a dumping ground for equipment with issues.
The internet is crawling with scammers.
Even the well known Buy Sell Trade nets on the Ham bands are seeing some crooked deals.

Bout the only place I would buy a used radio now is from stores who are well known honest dealers.

Ham Radio Outlet bent over backwards with an issue I had with them a few years ago and that really showed their honesty and integrity.
The easy thing for them to have said was "send it back for a refund" but instead they made it more than right.
They are my first stop when I am looking for new or used ham radio stuff.
BTW .... they do take PayPal!
N4GKS

Post by N4GKS »

jmh wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:24 am Occurs more often than most realize, especially if using PayPal. Happened to me. Sold a perfect functioning TS-450SAT to ham in Arkansas a while back. He received then one day later claimed to rig would not receive, and filed a complaint with PayScam. PayScam refunded his money, even though I provided 100% proof that the rig was operating great. Once I received the rig back, I removed the cover for inspection. The idiot had swapped out 2 PCB’s and forgot to reconnect the interconnecting cables. PayScam didn’t give a crap that I was the one scammed.
I think I would pay him a visit.
N9LCD

Post by N9LCD »

Hamfests are getting real bad about being a dumping ground for equipment with issues.
They ALWAYS were bad.

Even in the 80's.

Especially if you weren't a licensed ham, just a SWL'er!

The bull crap was SOOO DEEEP, I always wore my combat boots to Fests!
KK2DOG

Post by KK2DOG »

"Part swappers"...lol. I've bought and sold numerous ham radio items over the last 20 years and have never encountered a "parts swapper" issue.
When I place my ads, I simply state that no warranty is expressed or implied. They can swap parts all day long but it's still theirs.
NK7Z

Post by NK7Z »

That is how I sell as well, and I have never met, or had a parts swapper episode...
73's and thanks,
For equipment reviews and setups see:
http://www.nk7z.net