Used Aluma Tower---Whats it Worth?

Let others help you to determine what a piece of equipment is worth, before you put it up for sale.
w0zs

Used Aluma Tower---Whats it Worth?

Post by w0zs »

I have an opportunity to get an Aluma Tower, beam antenna, Hustler 4BTV (I believe), and a Ringo Ranger from a neighbor at our lake home. The previous owner is now an SK, and the new owner wants to get rid of it all. What would the Aluma Tower (40 foot) two section, crank up, hinged base worth? How about the antennas listed above? I am guessing the antennas and towers to be approximately 10 to 20 years old. I will probably be taking them down if that affects the price.
Thanks!
Terry, WK0F
k4kk

Post by k4kk »

This is a tough situation that comes up fairly often. The tower is worth something. How much depends on the condition and the ability to take it down "non-destructively." If it is in a poured concrete base, there is going to be a loss of either a base section or part of a section if you have to cut it. The Ranger is of small value. The beam is worth maybe $100 (MAYBE). If there is a rotor/control box (possibly no box), it might be worth more than all of it.

The bottom line is that the new owner wants it down and gone. You might want it. It will honestly cost the new owner more to get it down than it will ever be worth and in a semi-remote lake setting, it will be difficult to sell "locally." Transportation is a problem and shipping is very expensive. Packaging the antenna is probably not going to happen without disassembly and there is probably not a manual. Climbing that tower might be a problem and it could require a bucket truck to do it right.

Offer to take it down in exchange for it. That is honestly a fair proposition for that vintage, etc. If you end up needing a bucket truck, you might even be losing a few $$. If you climb it and take it down, you will lose at least a lot of sweat!
w0zs

Post by w0zs »

K4KK,
Thanks for the reply. I kind of thought the same thing. I will not be able to retrieve the base as it is concrete, but I thought I might offer him $250 plus help take them all down. All they can say is no.
Thanks again!