rci 2950/2970 what there worth?

Let others help you to determine what a piece of equipment is worth, before you put it up for sale.
hotrod

rci 2950/2970 what there worth?

Post by hotrod »

hello i got both a 2950/2970 both in working order both
have the 11meter conversion and the 2970 has the clarifer
unlocked. as for appearance id rate them only a 5 cause there
are minooir scratches from mounting brackets.id like 2 sell both
or trade for a good starter hf kenwood set
VE2AMN

CB`s

Post by VE2AMN »

Since these radios are illegal for sale in the US, they are worth exactly NOTHING!
Gilles, in the great white north..
nova1010

Re: rci 2950/2970 what there worth?

Post by nova1010 »

hotrod wrote:hello i got both a 2950/2970 both in working order both
have the 11meter conversion and the 2970 has the clarifer
unlocked. as for appearance id rate them only a 5 cause there
are minooir scratches from mounting brackets.id like 2 sell both
or trade for a good starter hf kenwood set
I've seen these units sell from $80-$250US ,of course that all depends on the condition of the radios...hope this helps. :D
Shawn(nova1010)
nova1010

Re: CB`s

Post by nova1010 »

VE2AMN wrote:Since these radios are illegal for sale in the US, they are worth exactly NOTHING!
I never knew they were ellegal to sell in the US,what about Canada ,illegal here also?and why are they ellegal because of the mods?just wondering thats all.
Shawn(nova1010)
VE2AMN

Post by VE2AMN »

Well, Shawn, just have a peek there and you`ll know... :-)

http://swap.qth.com/

scroll down to "Miscellaneous information"
and to "information from FCC regarding illegal transceivers and amplifiers".

As to here in Canada, we take in any kind of scrap, illegal aliens, terrorists, et al.
So, I suppose that illegal or not, nobody cares....

73, de Gilles
Gilles, in the great white north..
n3sfl

2950/2970

Post by n3sfl »

i have to agree both are unlawful to operate in the usa make them both worthless,
hey cheer up you can always use them as paper holders or door stops :roll:
KC3Z

Post by KC3Z »

Thought this forum was about equipment value. The RCI is a nice piece of gear whose value could be up to $300 US. It's value in the Ham community is very limited. Any radio/amplifier, FCC approved or not must be operated within the FCC rules relating to transmitter emissions, power and operator licensing (if required). CBer are not liked by Ham operators for sooo many reasons. The FCC in the US has abandoned (eons ago) any enforcement of CB activity. They have simply allowed the 11 meter band to become rogue. Money, man power, who knows the reason. Although I did read an article about some FCC Detroit agents visiting some poor smuck CB retailer in southern US 4 times over 2 years for selling 11 meter linear amps. He was prosecuted but I never heard the outcome. Gentlemen and ladies, let's see if we can help put a value on the gear and not the baggage. Dean KC9OFX
shaggy_24740

Post by shaggy_24740 »

KC9OFX wrote:Thought this forum was about equipment value. The RCI is a nice piece of gear whose value could be up to $300 US. It's value in the Ham community is very limited. Any radio/amplifier, FCC approved or not must be operated within the FCC rules relating to transmitter emissions, power and operator licensing (if required). CBer are not liked by Ham operators for so many reasons. The FCC in the US has abandoned (eons ago) any enforcement of CB activity. They have simply allowed the 11 meter band to become rogue. Money, man power, who knows the reason. Although I did read an article about some FCC Detroit agents visiting some poor smuck CB retailer in southern US 4 times over 2 years for selling 11 meter linear amps. He was prosecuted but I never heard the outcome. Gentlemen and ladies, let's see if we can help put a value on the gear and not the baggage. Dean KC9OFX
I read somewhere that it wasn't Illegal to own, and to receive, "but" It is Illegal for a dealer to sell them here in the united states , "if" he is only selling them over seas where they are legal, or another country where they are legal. So it's the seller that is violating the law not the owner.
Although I don't own either of them I have owned them in the past, The 2950 is worth between $150 and $250 depending on their condition, The 2970 is worth between $250 and $400 depending on its shape and frequency arrangement.. Some are DX models and they sell for more,,, If they have been in a Peek and tweak shop that Decreases the value sometime by about 1/2. I have bought Peek and tweaked RCI-2950 with a Single meter Sadelta mike,, For $75,, And that was because it had an echo board installed and had been in the Peek shop.. One that hasn't ever been taken off the 10 meter or 10 12 meter band and is original box will bring a better price,, But every one that buys them does so because they are Illegal CB's and for some reason most people feel like they are getting by with something if it is Illegal and they can hide it when company (FCC) comes Knocking. They seem to think no one knows they have an Illegal CB, but it is Obvious. lol
I used to run them myself, some went from 25 to 28.315 megs, but there is never anyone on the lower part so as far as I'm concerned you're buying something you'll never use so why waist your money?
Get you a good armature radio off of a local ham or AES or HRO or any other shop they also have used equipment for about the same price as the 2970, but you get 30 Megs instead of 3 megs. Bid difference in price,, And you can say hello to the Armature community and even listen or Mod to use to say hello to you CB buddies.Although CB'ing on them is Taboo, when the Mars Mods are done you can talk from Mud to the entire 30 megs.. :wink:
If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck ,Its a Duck
N8QBY

Post by N8QBY »

Those radios are nothing but glorified cb radios. Don't attempt to sell them here on this site, as your ad will be deleted, and rightfully so. Go to E-Bay and sell them, they don't care what garbage they allow someone to put up for auction.
W4KVW

????????????????

Post by W4KVW »

From the above posting PLEASE tell us all what is:ARMATURE RADIO?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

CLAYTON
W4KVW
shaggy_24740

Re: CB`s

Post by shaggy_24740 »

nova1010 wrote:
VE2AMN wrote:Since these radios are illegal for sale in the US, they are worth exactly NOTHING!
I never knew they were ellegal to sell in the US,what about Canada ,illegal here also?and why are they ellegal because of the mods?just wondering thats all.
They are not Ileagel to own, they are ileagel to sell by a dealor. Not even to ship out of the country. To make it short the Dealor is the one breaking the law. I done a lot of serching on this, also you can contact the new FCC lady Laura and she will send you the informatiion on it.
K4ICL

Post by K4ICL »

Gentlemen and ladies, let's see if we can help put a value on the gear and not the baggage. Dean KC9OFX

The value of gear is directly related with what you can do with it. If you can own it, sell it, trade it, barter, it or just give it away, but you can't LEGALLY USE IT, is it has the value of an old brick--about nothing.

There is no baggage here. There are some good reasons to invest your hard earned money into gear that YOU CAN LEGALLY USE.

nuff said...
n9emz

Post by n9emz »

The Commission's position on the RCI-2950, RCI-2970 and RCI-2990 is it's not illegal to possess or use them within the appropriate Bands you're licensed for within the permissions of your license. The owner's liabilities for their use is no different than for any other piece of equipment....especially as applied to modified equipment from other services, homebrew, etc.

However, it is illegal to sell them or transfer possession of them by any means to another person. Legally speaking, if you have them you're stuck with them....use, destroy, or surrender them to the Commission. Otherwise, the liability's upon the seller....period. This is nothing new....it's been the Commission's position as far back as the rigs became available.

If you ever wish to inform yourself as to legalities concerning anything relevant to communications and related equipment....don't guess, make your own interpretations of laws/rules, or blindly adopt what you've heard/read....go to the source.

The Commission.

Oh, yeah....respective to model numbers stated above for the 1st generation rigs....$150/$250/$450 is the common price if they're cosmetically and operationally 10 of 10 with box, manual, cord, etc. The newer models sell for a tad more.

Sam, N9EMZ
e-mail: n9emz@aol.com
shaggy_24740

Amature Radio Service Enforcement Actions

Post by shaggy_24740 »

n9emz wrote:The Commission's position on the RCI-2950, RCI-2970 and RCI-2990 is it's not illegal to possess or use them within the appropriate Bands you're licensed for within the permissions of your license. The owner's liabilities for their use is no different than for any other piece of equipment....especially as applied to modified equipment from other services, homebrew, etc.

However, it is illegal to sell them or transfer possession of them by any means to another person. Legally speaking, if you have them you're stuck with them....use, destroy, or surrender them to the Commission. Otherwise, the liability's upon the seller....period. This is nothing new....it's been the Commission's position as far back as the rigs became available.

If you ever wish to inform yourself as to legalities concerning anything relevant to communications and related equipment....don't guess, make your own interpretations of laws/rules, or blindly adopt what you've heard/read....go to the source.

The Commission.

Oh, yeah....respective to model numbers stated above for the 1st generation rigs....$150/$250/$450 is the common price if they're cosmetically and operationally 10 of 10 with box, manual, cord, etc. The newer models sell for a tad more.

http://www.fcc.gov/eb/AmateurActions/Welcome.html
There is a new lady in the FCC. She is sending out enforcement procedures and Asking the erach one give a time that they will be in compliance. And If running an Ileagel CB she is asking how long will it be befor they take it out of service, and this has to be returned in a letter in 10 Days. That includes all ileagel radios. If you have a converted Ham radio and it is bothering other peoples things you have to correct it,, However the same don't comply to Leagel Ham radios,(Unconverted) They can be converted if the owner is MARS and RACES certified, but they will have to show proof. Theres a wealth of Information on this site.
n9emz

Re: Amature Radio Service Enforcement Actions

Post by n9emz »

shaggy_24740 wrote:
n9emz wrote:The Commission's position on the RCI-2950, RCI-2970 and RCI-2990 is it's not illegal to possess or use them within the appropriate Bands you're licensed for within the permissions of your license. The owner's liabilities for their use is no different than for any other piece of equipment....especially as applied to modified equipment from other services, homebrew, etc.

The Commission.

There is a new lady in the FCC. She is sending out enforcement procedures and Asking the erach one give a time that they will be in compliance. And If running an Ileagel CB she is asking how long will it be befor they take it out of service, and this has to be returned in a letter in 10 Days. That includes all ileagel radios. If you have a converted Ham radio and it is bothering other peoples things you have to correct it,, However the same don't comply to Leagel Ham radios,(Unconverted) They can be converted if the owner is MARS and RACES certified, but they will have to show proof. Theres a wealth of Information on this site.
None of the warnings bear any relevance to what I posted. Modification isn't illegal for HAMs as long as the equipment is legally operated within license class, privileges, and the rules.
Sam, N9EMZ
e-mail: n9emz@aol.com
shaggy_24740

Re: Amature Radio Service Enforcement Actions

Post by shaggy_24740 »

n9emz wrote:
shaggy_24740 wrote:

The Commission.

None of the warnings bear any relevance to what I posted. Modification isn't illegal for HAMs as long as the equipment is legally operated within license class, privileges, and the rules.