Radio Pricing?

Let others help you to determine what a piece of equipment is worth, before you put it up for sale.
W4LTD

Radio Pricing?

Post by W4LTD »

Why are hams trying to sell older, discontinued 2M mobile rigs for more than or equal to the cost of new, more modern versions? I am on the hunt for a decent radio for my car and all I have seen are radios that are maybe worth $90-$110 including shipping, that people are advertising for upwards of $150. Am I missing something here or are the older, used rigs more desirable for some reason?
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

I've wondered that my self not just older 2m rigs but HF also. I've noticed on E Bay that certain radios will go on a high price run then drop way off and another one becomes the hot one.Here recently on there KW 830's have become the hot radio and before them they were wanting Yaesus 901 and 902's but they seem to have cooled off for now. But what gets me is E bay pricing seems to have infected qth pricing here lately. Go on E bay and watch what DSP units are bringing. Good luck in your search.
Larry Huff K0pd
W4LTD

Post by W4LTD »

I agree Larry, I once sold a Collins 312B-5 on eBay, started at 99 cents and sold after a week to someone in Italy for just shy of $1500. -- realistically it was only valued at $750-$800. I would never have advertised that on QTH for anything more than, perhaps, $750. When I sell equipment here on QTH I try not to be greedy and if someone asks me for a price break, I will usually give in. If you happen to see a Kenwood TM-261 or 271 for a fair price, please let me know.

Thanks. :D
Jenkins

Post by Jenkins »

Hope the search turned out to be a success.
I would also recommend e-Bay anyways.
Good luck!