K5YGC Terrible Seller

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
kr5v

K5YGC Terrible Seller

Post by kr5v »

Recently bought an amp from this man. He looked me right in the eye and
said the amp did 1800 watts out. In an e-mail he claimed 2000 out. The amp
looked ok so I gave him cash. I took it home and can barely get 1200 watts out
on three bands. The other three 800. I emailed him and he says oh must be the difference in wattmeters. I am trying to get him to buy it back but not responding to my e-mails. BUYER BEWARE-- DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH Mark
K5YGC !!
W1QJ

Post by W1QJ »

Mori, you do not say what amplifier you bought from this guy. He may not be lying. He may very well be convinced by his hi swr antenna and whacked out CB meter that is telling him some crazy power output. In my years I have met MANY hams who have produced laughable output powers of many different amps. When asked how they measured the power I almost cracked up in every case. So tell us, what kind of amp did you buy from this guy? Lou
donate life
RFC558

Post by RFC558 »

k5ygc

kr5v

Post by k5ygc »

Tha amp is Amp Supply LK500ZB Im using a bird 43 with PEP kit. He has my phone number and posted this while I was at work. I dont walk around with a PC in my pocket to answer his emails, he could have been a man and called me.
I dont know who this rfc558 is but that isnt the amp he is talking about.
K4ICL

Apples vs Oranges?

Post by K4ICL »

An Amp Supply linear uses two 3-500 finals with 2,700 volts plate voltage with a maximum load current of 800 mils. At full output with a CW carrier the amp produces a maximum of 1,120 watts with 80 to 100 watts of drive. Wattage output will vary with amp's age, band, line voltage, and other existing variables.

The LK-500ZB is a basic 1,100 watt amp at less than 100% duty cycle.

The amp, in good serviceable condition, will produce nearly 2,200 watts PEP, well over legal limit into a 50 ohm load.

Is the seller providing PEP output reading and the buyer is reading CW carrier output, instead of PEP readings?

If so, is there a communication problem but not an issue of honesty?

K4ICL
Last edited by K4ICL on Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
W1QJ

Post by W1QJ »

Well, there are other facts to consider. I have owned about a dozen of these LK-500 amps and although with 100 watts of drive I have never seen much more than 1500 watts output I wouldn't say it was impossible to reach 1800 watts output with MORE than 100 watts drive. Some solid state radios have spike output power in excess of 100 watts and with a peak reading wattmeter that might be generous, you could see 1800 watts PEP out on a sharp voice peak. SInce that may be possible and not the norm I suppose it would not be a lie to say "I've seen 1800 watts output". In any case the LK-500 series amplifier is no stranger in the world of amplifiers and a simple request for information about the amp should yield tons of information. These facts could have been achieved with some due diligence. When buying an amplfier one should consider the specifications set down by the manufacturer and NOT the end user. Things like power output is much too subjective to put much weight on unless the "buyer" is convinced on his own terms as to the actual power output of the specific amplifier. One should only consider the merits of an amplfier based on the specs of the manufacturer. In the case of the LK-500 The builder Denny Hadd claimed that 1500 PEP might be obtained. That being said I would never expect to see more than that, if I did, I would consider it a plus. There were a few different variations of the LK-500 tank circuit, some better than others so some amps worked better than others, There was one model with a downgraded band switch that should be totally avoided!! Every one I have seen with that downgraded switch has failed in the same spot. This model should be avoided!
donate life
KA9FOX
Site Admin

Post by KA9FOX »

Mori KR5V started a brand new thread, instead of replying to the existing one. I've removed that new thread, and am copying his posting here just so everyone can see it.
KR5V wrote:Ok
Gang

Thanks for all the input. I do really appreciate it. I am digging into the amp to see
what I need to do to get the output up to specs since I ruffled Marks feathers and he will do nothing for me. Mark , in your defense I get that you did not know enough about this amp when you sold it since you asked me what the ati board was. Anyhow not the biggest event in my life. Since Mark will not negotiate or buy it back I have learned something here. If you have any doubts test it first and ask
if there can be any after sale negotiation or service. Mark told me he buys and sells for profit and that is fine . I will write this one off to a LARGE lack of communication
between two folks.

very 73, Mori KR5V
W1QJ

Post by W1QJ »

I might be able to make this right between both parties, If the amp works OK and Mori does not want it because it does not put out the power he wants I'll buy it from him for what he paid if it is in my price range. He has not complained about the condition, only the power. That does not bother me. Lou
donate life
W1QJ

Post by W1QJ »

I spoke with Mori off list. Unfortunately the price he paid for the amp was too high for me and I won't be buying it. It appears that Mori paid above the "going rate" for the amp thinking he would get the power the seller indicated. He is not seeing it and the seeler claims he does. There is a lesson to be learned here.
donate life
k5ygc

lk500zb

Post by k5ygc »

Ok Mori,you sent your emails and didnt wait for a response from me.I work outdoors and my days start very early .A friend of mine called me and told me I needed to go home and read your announcement on QTH.If you would have waited for a response or called me, you have my cell number and my home # and didnt attempt to call either.My respose would have been for you to bring the amp to my shack test it and if it worked the same as when it left I would have gladly refunded your money.
Instead you attacked me on QTH shame on you!!! As for your response on me selling for profit I told you I was selling it for home repairs. I mess with old tube gear in my spare time cause its a pleasure to me.I am not a professional tech by trade What I have learned Ive taught myself and from the help of the AM community.And if I remember right thats what ham radio is supposed to be. I however do sell and trade to buy better gear. That is how I have aquired most of my vintage gear.
There is a simple solution, sell the thing do your home work and buy what you really want. 73 K5YGC
W4LTD

Re: lk500zb

Post by W4LTD »

k5ygc wrote:As for your response on me selling for profit I told you I was selling it for home repairs. I mess with old tube gear in my spare time cause its a pleasure to me.I am not a professional tech by trade What I have learned Ive taught myself and from the help of the AM community.And if I remember right thats what ham radio is supposed to be. I however do sell and trade to buy better gear. That is how I have aquired most of my vintage gear.
There's nothing wrong with selling equipment for a profit. If the buyer really wants it, he'll buy it at your price -- if not, he'll look elsewhere to buy it [possibly] cheaper. Just my $0.02 worth...