W8YG

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
WA4CQG

W8YG

Post by WA4CQG »

On May 29th I sent W8YG a PayPal payment for an Array Solutions Power Master. Since then, W8YG has not answered any of my emails. I understand that another ham also sent W8YG a PayPal payment for the same Power Meter. I hope this is simply a mix-up... but I am becoming very skeptical.

Dale WA4CQG
w7tz

Post by w7tz »

I Purchased the Power Master Meter from W8YG on 5/29/11 and paid with paypal, He has not returned my emails or send info that its been shipped. Steve
Great service.
n4pse

W8YG

Post by n4pse »

Same problem as the others: I agreed to purchase a Palstar tuner from him on 5/27. Great communications until $ was sent by Paypal. Since then all of my emails are unanswered. Still want to believe all is ok. Hopefully David will see this, respond, and quickly rectify this situation.......
W8KT

Uh OH!! Powermaster with Multiple Owners!

Post by W8KT »

I purchased the same Powermaster wattmeter on May 30th!! Sent money via Paypal also. I also have not received any communications from W8YG! Looks like we are going to require a group effort to resolve this situation.

Bob

W8KT
K9XR

OH,OH

Post by K9XR »

Yesterday I sent a PM to someone about David. I said that from my experience with him I found him to be kind of a loose cannon, but I thought he would come through. After reading this and knowing that he sold the same meter to AT LEAST 5 guys, it looks like I may be totally wrong this time. Time will tell, but it doesn't look very good right now.
HIFISWL

Post by HIFISWL »

I bought the Power Master on 5/29/2011 06:36 PDT through Paypal.
We had several email exchanges and after I paid he vanished. I'm going to Paypal now and put in a claim. He had mentioned he was selling because he was quitting Ham Radio. I think we have been taken. Do any of the Ham sites such as QRZ have his phone number?
W8KT

W8YG

Post by W8KT »

I have been in contact with my local law enforcement, the Michigan state police, and the Pontiac police department. They are aware of the situation. The best way to begin is to contact your local law enforcement, supply the information and ask them to contact both the Pontiac police and the MSP. Maybe we will get our money back.
w7tz

Paypal

Post by w7tz »

If you also was taken by W8YG Contact Paypal at 402 935-2050 and let them know you are one of others taken by him. Thanks Steve :( :evil:
Great service.
HIFISWL

Post by HIFISWL »

I just contacted Paypal and also filed a dispute. They said after four days I can escalate the claim and if Mr. Powell doesn't respond with proof of shipping and delivery to my address they will find in favor of the buyer (me) and return the money. I would suggest all do the same that paid through paypal. I have been through this only once before and Paypal did refund me . I just hate waiting five days while this guy is out doing whatever with everyones money. He was selling it for 200.00 and I even sent an extra ten just trying to be a nice guy and help with shipping. Boy do I feel like an idiot:( If you have not done this before just go to the Paypal site and go to the resolution center and open a case against him. I also called and was told I this is the proper action to be taken. I will escalate this case on 6/5/11.
W4PIG

Post by W4PIG »

i know how everbody feels this has happened to me. i saw the add i almost responded but i said to myself to good to be true. hope yall bust this dude 73s de w4pig :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
HIFISWL

Post by HIFISWL »

I thought it was a an unusually good price too. I went to his ebay feedback and he had 100 percent. I also searched his Call and found other transactions that seemed to be ok. I was told he usually sells at great prices. He also responded instantly to my emails and with all that, and with the fact that I never have been ripped off on QTH I went through with it. Must be one of these cases that proves one cant be to careful. As far as David W Powell goes. I believe what goes around comes around and he will get what is coming to him, if in fact he knowingly ripped off folks. (Sure looks that way.) Paypal can refund my money as that is one of the reasons I use them. Strange that he required payment only through paypal.
K9XR

I Missed it

Post by K9XR »

I missed the original ad or I would have been a victim also. I like everyone else am a sucker for a good deal and I would have had no reservations because I have gotten very good deals from him in the past. It's a shame that this happens.
n4jhy

any news on this situation?

Post by n4jhy »

Hi all, and sorry to hear about all of this.

Dave (Dabo) is a friend from 75 meters, and this does not sound like Dave.

However, the facts are the facts.

Anything shaking on all of this-

Thanks, Bruce N4JHY
HIFISWL

Post by HIFISWL »

So far, as far as I know, none of us that have paid him have ever heard back from him. For him to do this and to rip off five or six folks for 200.00 a pop is pretty strange considering all added up isn't a great sum of money. The fact remains though that we have never heard back, received the meter and we all paid. I must have sent him ten emails through both his paypal email address, ebay contact and his QTH address and have not heard or received a thing.
w8ns

w8yg

Post by w8ns »

W8yg,David,has sold everything,he had in ham radio..
Plus he has been evicted from his last residence,it was not Pontiac,mi,he moved couple of months back.
To bad,I think he may have had a breakdown of some type.
Don,w8ns
My word is my bond,same is true for 99 percent of all hams.
n4jhy

any news?

Post by n4jhy »

Been quiet on this one for a while. Has anyone got any news on what's the deal with Dave W8YG?

Thanks, Bruce N4JHY
k8cpa

Post by k8cpa »

I agree 100% with Don and JHY.

Something happened. David was always a straight shooter. :(

Hopefully he comes around.

Chuck K8CPA
-Chuck Adkins K8CPA
Blog: http://www.k8cpa.com
Other Political Blog: Http://www.thoughtsandrantings.com
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

Seems like we had a similar incident a couple of years back with who was at one time a highly trusted ham Tom Stack WQ5J. As any one ever heard how this one turned out?
Larry Huff K0pd
n4jhy

Report of Dabo W8YG being head 5/12/12

Post by n4jhy »

Dabo, W8YG was heard on 3.843 at 5 am eastern this morning.

Has everyone been made whole in all this mess?

Thanks, Bruce N4JHY