What happened to integrity????

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
localjunkpeddler

Integrity

Post by localjunkpeddler »

N5QMG = "Protest Too Much"
www.GoEnglish.com
Send Me The GoEnglish Weekly Preview of English Idioms

Protest Too Much ( you tend not to believe a person because they insist too strongly that something is not true ... )
"protest too much"

To "protest too much" is to insist so strongly about something not being true that people begin to suspect maybe it is true. Example: "You do like that girl, don't you?" Answer: "No! I don't! Not at all! Why do you think so?" Reply: "You protest too much." "Protest too much" comes from Hamlet by William Shakespeare; the Queen speaking: "The lady doth protest too much, methinks." (Note: people do not usually use the word "methinks" when they are speaking English today.) To "protest too much" is to insist so passionately about something not being true that people suspect the opposite of what you are saying. Example: "Do you think he is telling the truth?" Answer: "I think he protests too much."

C'mon, Mikey, prove me right!!
"Always drink upstream of the herd"
n5qmg

Post by n5qmg »

kg8lb wrote: Edit, In reply to your non specific edits:

I am not surprised that the fellow took another offer and that you were not all that put off. I am just a little more surprised that a simple misunderstanding leaps to a question of character.
Well, I have my own business too. I've been doing it for more than 10 years. It's not radio related, but it is a business. So far, I've had no problems operating by taking people at face value and sealing a deal on a handshake. Some here think that freakish, but whatever. Speaking from my own value system, had I been the seller in this situation, I would NEVER have let the transaction play out like that. As the seller, I would be empowered to make that a certainty, and I would.

The integrity issue comes in when we're talking about our written word and how we go about keeping or breaking it. I'm not saying that breaking one's word is the end of the world, there are times when it can't be avoided. We personally choose how we want to handle those situations. If we choose to break our word and then try to make amends, then we can expect some people to be unhappy.

You're gonna love this, cuz I agree with you. Clarity is key, and I personally thought I had been clear, but others disagree. If I were the seller, I would have simply avoided the whole potential for unhappiness by simply answering the questions, requested payment and provided the information and told the buyer (me) that I had other interested parties so please take it or leave it, so to speak. First come first serve is fine as long as "serve" means actually communicating your intentions and giving someone the opportunity to complete the transaction. That's the integrity part.

Funny to see how the customer is king doesn't apply here. I'll say this to those that think the seller rules the roost. It's called the golden rule, "He who has the gold, makes the rules." When it's my gold, I'll continue to set the rules. :)

It has been mentioned numerous times that I "lost". I'd like to say that while the buyer may or may not buy from the seller again, I will never offer to purchase from him again. No big deal if you're an individual, one-timer. It's a whole different game when you make a living at selling and come out in public and boast about how you would have done the same things. Not you specifically.
n5qmg

Re: Integrity

Post by n5qmg »

localjunkpeddler wrote:N5QMG = "Protest Too Much"
www.GoEnglish.com
Send Me The GoEnglish Weekly Preview of English Idioms

Protest Too Much ( you tend not to believe a person because they insist too strongly that something is not true ... )
"protest too much"

To "protest too much" is to insist so strongly about something not being true that people begin to suspect maybe it is true. Example: "You do like that girl, don't you?" Answer: "No! I don't! Not at all! Why do you think so?" Reply: "You protest too much." "Protest too much" comes from Hamlet by William Shakespeare; the Queen speaking: "The lady doth protest too much, methinks." (Note: people do not usually use the word "methinks" when they are speaking English today.) To "protest too much" is to insist so passionately about something not being true that people suspect the opposite of what you are saying. Example: "Do you think he is telling the truth?" Answer: "I think he protests too much."

C'mon, Mikey, prove me right!!
I didn't expect you to be an adult about it. I'll agree with one thing you said though. Having a ticket doesn't make you a ham.

EDIT: Apparently being older than dirt doesn't make one mature either. I said I didn't come here for a flame fest, I came here to debate. But if you want, I've been on the net long enough to know how to turn up the heat a little.
localjunkpeddler

Post by localjunkpeddler »

You're just too easy, kinda like poking a mound of fire ants with a stick !!
"Always drink upstream of the herd"
n5qmg

Post by n5qmg »

localjunkpeddler wrote:You're just too easy, kinda like poking a mound of fire ants with a stick !!
Not as gratifying as pulling the wings off flies though, is it? :D
kg8lb

Post by kg8lb »

n5qmg wrote:
You're gonna love this, cuz I agree with you. Clarity is key, and I personally thought I had been clear, but others disagree. If I were the seller, I would have simply avoided the whole potential for unhappiness by simply answering the questions, requested payment and provided the information and told the buyer

And therein lies the problem. You "thought" that you had been clear. Obviously others saw it differently and have tried to clue you in. What you say you would have done as the seller is of course convenient for you. It is also of little importance.I already explained what I would have done as a buyer and have always done. Namely request payment info up front, promptly inform the seller when and how payment would indeed be made. ..Clarity ...
The seller had every chance to lose the sale had he played along with your string along style of buying. I am at this point not convinced that you were not actually weasling and keeping options open. Your patttern is IDENTICAL ro the patterns of others who jump in with both feet "I'LL TAKE IT!" only to find fault later and bow out. Perhaps a lack of experience on your part but it also seems you refuse to learn from your mistakes. That is a pity , you give yourself so many lessons !
Yes , you feel every bit the loser here . That is your main motivation for posing the tale of woe . You came seeking reinforcement and vindication , found little if any.

You have more control of your own actions than the re-actions of others. By simply changing your buying methods you certainly would have had more successful outcome in either attempts at procuring gear.

I have been trying to help out a little . But I can see even more now than I had before.

Better luck next time. Time to join the "Better lucky than good" club. You show little promise for improvement. To correct a shortcoming you must first acknowledge the problem. Denial will never lead to improvements.
Get over it . Very small potatoes. You screwed up and lost out.
There is no reason to impune the integrity of your seller over your own inability to communicate clearly your questionable intentions.

73s
n5qmg

Post by n5qmg »

I recognize that the seller must have thought that I was unclear. I guess what I should have said before, was that I thought I was clear, but others disagree, I'll be sure to be more clear next time. Does that make you feel better. Like I said before, I do get it on the point about being more clear.

I described what I would have done as a seller, because it is what I have the most experience at. Others stated what they would have done, I was just doing the same. Nothing more. Do try to calm down.

EDIT: I see that now you are calling me a weasel and effectively a liar since I've been as adamant as I can be that I was committed. I guess we're done then.
kg8lb

"You protest too much."

Post by kg8lb »

n5qmg wrote: EDIT: I see that now you are calling me a weasel and effectively a liar since I've been as adamant as I can be that I was committed. I guess we're done then.
Just when it looked like we were making progress.
There you go again claiming abuse. That is what started this whole thing.

"You protest too much." (?)
You claimed that you are glad that you read and comprehend well ?

I did not call you anything. I said clearly I was not convinced that you were not "weasling". In this case "weasling" is an ADVERB Synonyms like :
evade, escape; fool, lead astray, be ambiguous apply to this slang term.
To say that I am not convinced is to say that I (and others) find your arguments weak , insufficient to persuade , that is all.

Once again your own advice is projected and mis-directed. I am not in the least excited. I have a good success rate at closing deals. Concise communications have worked for me. Being able to read into and respond well to the communications from others pays off. Being able to recognize, acknowledge shortcomings coupled with a willingness to make changes has improved these skills markedly. I guess my second twenty years were a lot better than the first 20 so you can hope for better deals in your future ! (HI)

"Do try to calm down."

Here's to better days !

73, Gary
eric

Post by eric »

Money talks and BS walks. I dont consider anything sold until im payed.
K9FON
No BS ham radio for me. I don't play ham politics, i.e. code/no code, Cb vs Ham, ect, ect.