N4ERO On the prowl again

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
N8ITF

N4ERO On the prowl again

Post by N8ITF »

Well I wonder who Ol' CARL COOK N4ERO is going to stick it to now. He has an add on QTH looking for a dead ICOM ICW32A ht.

Does he think that no one reads the posts on the chat forum.

And the other thing is he going to sell the dead piece of junk as a working radio like he did me and the SB-101 that was suppose to be working fine, the best thing it could have been was a parts radio.

WARNING DON'T BUY OR SELL anything to this guy!.

Please read the webpage I wrote on ol'CARL...

http://home.comcast.net/~n8itf/n4ero/index.html

Paul N8ITF
Last edited by N8ITF on Sun May 08, 2011 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
n5qmg

Post by n5qmg »

I hope people take time to read through your page and realize who they should really be wary of. Glad you posted.

By the way, involve is one word.

:shock:
KK7AZ

I DON'T GET THE POINT...........

Post by KK7AZ »

I DON'T GET IT...........If he's trying to buy a non working radio, who's he going to hurt?? sounds like a personal matter between two hams. Can't we cut all the hate on this site, this is getting to be all that's on here. 73's
n5qmg

Post by n5qmg »

I agree, someone wanting to buy something broken doesn't seem like much of a threat to anyone.
N8ITF

CARL N4ERO

Post by N8ITF »

Well if you want to sell the guy your broke HT go ahead. And in a couple of months we will see a perfectly ht being sold and it will be a piece of junk.This appears to be this fellas track record.

QTH does not deserve this type of person selling and buying equipment in my opinion. Take a chance, maybe you will be the next person to be skunked by him.

And on the subject on mispelling words I try my best to see, and what you don't know is am way past legally blind and headed down the path of darkness and no vision.

But thank you for bringing it to my attention.
n5qmg

Rocks, glass houses and all that

Post by n5qmg »

His track record? I see no evidence of him buying broken things and then selling them still broken but as usable. Pretty unfair IMO that you assume that he broke the slugs and then knowingly sold it that way. He told you that he never opened the radio, he just listened to it casually. Sounds completely plausible to me.

OTOH, I did see the thread about the 4-400 tube though. Please tell me the electrical difference between a 4-400A and a 4-400C and why I can't use a "C" tube in place of an "A". Also, I'd like to hear how an 866A rectifier glowing blue relates in any way to an amplifying tube showing blue corona inside the envelope.
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

Not making a charge against him here, but if you enter his call on search you will see others have had a problem with him.
Larry Huff K0pd
n5qmg

Post by n5qmg »

k0pd wrote:Not making a charge against him here, but if you enter his call on search you will see others have had a problem with him.
I see where there was another thread full of strange events involving three-way swaps on the part of the unhappy person. It looks like carl offered to take it back, but the buyer didn't want to since he'd already sent it on to someone else. Not sure how mad you can be when you decide to keep something instead of returning it when given the chance.

EDIT: I certainly don't want it to appear that I'm defending someone's bad business behavior. I'd be the last one to do that. The whole reason I originally said anything was that the evidence found didn't seem to fit with the claims being made by the OP in his post.

It would seem that allot of the problem here stems from the fact that beauty really is in the eye of the beholder. Carl appears to be satisfied that something "works", Paul seems to expect allot more even from 50 year old equipment.
N8ITF

Carl N4ERO

Post by N8ITF »

Its not a case of looking a for a brand new radio, it is the fact before I made the transaction with him.

I actually called him on the phone before the moneys were sent I asked more than one time during the conversation if there "were" any problems or issues and he insisted that the radio was fine and had no issues.

And when it got here, there were more than one Issue. He should have been truthful instead of deceiving me and the radio was a piece of junk.

The receiver was deaf and how in the heck did he hear anything.

So guess I was wrong to expect it to be what he claimed it was which was a radio with no issues. Shame on me.

You know I was buying the radio for a friend to set up his shack with his upgrage to a new general. Shame on me from wanting to help another ham and my best man at my wife and I's wedding.

Shame on me from wanting to help another human being.

You know where I made a mistake was I didn't check the feedback forum first, because if I had I never would have done the deal.

And I still would have my $225 and he would have this parts radio in my floor.

Your right. It was my mistake. So now I have an over priced parts radio. and I had to sell another piece of equipment to fulfill my promise to my friend.

At least I am man of my word to my friends and what I say, I will deliver my promise to them.

VE6WR

Damn...

Post by VE6WR »

What a bunch of kids. Can't spell, grammar is horrible. ALWAYS beware when buying over the internet. Just like in every area of life, there are honest as well as dishonest ham radio operators. Sound like a bunch of CB'ers arguing back and forth, threatening to sue and talking big language. You should both be ashamed of yourselves.

Chalk it up to experience and move on. Talk about obsessive behavior.

Just my two cents.
KE3W

Re: Damn...

Post by KE3W »

VE6WR wrote:...Can't spell, grammar is horrible...
Why did you feel it necessary to make that comment - you feel superior now? Unreal...
n5qmg

Re: Paul N8ITF

Post by n5qmg »

N8ITF wrote:
The receiver was deaf and how in the heck did he hear anything.
You say that now, but then your whole complaint starts with you hearing people talk on 7050kHz when you first turned the radio on. How in the heck could it be deaf or junk(parts only) at that point? Needing 10uV instead of 1uV to make 10dB of SNR is not deaf. It's not great, but it's certainly not deaf since you yourself admitted that you could hear people talking.
kg8lb

Post by kg8lb »

VE6WR wrote:What a bunch of kids. Can't spell, grammar is horrible. ALWAYS beware when buying over the internet. Just like in every area of life, there are honest as well as dishonest ham radio operators. Sound like a bunch of CB'ers arguing back and forth, threatening to sue and talking big language. You should both be ashamed of yourselves.

Just my two cents.
Two cents, no sense.

This forum exists primarily as a vehicle for folks to compare notes on their dealings with others. People read the reports , compare notes , then form their own opinions. These opinions are often used to guide future dealings.
Perhaps you were looking for a forum that allows you to demonstrate your wonderful command of the language arts ?
Language afffords communication VIA written words. The original posting expressed a warning , that was his intent . The intent was in line with the spirit of the thread. Errors and all, the thoughts of the originator were conveyed.
The OP already apologized for his spelling errors but should not have felt the need .

In any event your charges regarding spelling errors and grammar issues were not at all specific . It seem perhaps you were suggesting that you are the only one here that employs proper grammar and spells well. Bully for you.
You may be right. And your point is ?
OK, So where are the filters now ?
N8ITF

N4ERO Carl

Post by N8ITF »

Whether it is 50 or 100 microvolts it doesn't make any difference, having owned several HW and SB series radios from heathkit in the past, I know the difference between a properly operating receiver and a deaf one.

If it takes 100 microvolt to just hear a signal it is deaf and that is my opinion. How many dx stations do you think you work unless their signal as at least 20DB over S9.

In short the fact remains the guy won't tell the truth about the actual operating condition of the radio he is selling. And by the way he owned an Icom IC 746 at the same time as the purchase so, it wasn't like he didn't know there weren't any issues.

And by the way on the subject on the tube, the buyer wasn't truthful and tried to cover his tracks with another hams name that wasn't their to observe and confirm the tranmitters operation as he stated. Read the actual emails that were sent and received it explains the whole story.

And the post above this one is 100% correct. I wouldn't sell the guy a second of time because of what he is willing to do and mislead folks whether he is buying or selling it is nothing more than a simple warning.

In my opinion "WARNING"

VE6WR

Post by VE6WR »

kg8lb wrote:
VE6WR wrote:What a bunch of kids. Can't spell, grammar is horrible. ALWAYS beware when buying over the internet. Just like in every area of life, there are honest as well as dishonest ham radio operators. Sound like a bunch of CB'ers arguing back and forth, threatening to sue and talking big language. You should both be ashamed of yourselves.

Just my two cents.
Two cents, no sense.

This forum exists primarily as a vehicle for folks to compare notes on their dealings with others. People read the reports , compare notes , then form their own opinions. These opinions are often used to guide future dealings.
Perhaps you were looking for a forum that allows you to demonstrate your wonderful command of the language arts ?
Language afffords communication VIA written words. The original posting expressed a warning , that was his intent . The intent was in line with the spirit of the thread. Errors and all, the thoughts of the originator were conveyed.
The OP already apologized for his spelling errors but should not have felt the need .

In any event your charges regarding spelling errors and grammar issues were not at all specific . It seem perhaps you were suggesting that you are the only one here that employs proper grammar and spells well. Bully for you.

Great. Forum sherriff. Glad you found a calling in life. The spelling and grammar comments were but a tiny bit of what I tried to convey. But, thank you for the education. Glad also that you could feel superior.

73's

Have a good one. Take care. I'm out of here.
VE6WR

Post by VE6WR »

KE3W wrote:
Why did you feel it necessary to make that comment - you feel superior now? Unreal...
Why did it bother you so much?
n5qmg

Re: N4ERO Carl

Post by n5qmg »

N8ITF wrote:
Whether it is 50 or 100 microvolts it doesn't make any difference, having owned several HW and SB series radios from heathkit in the past, I know the difference between a properly operating receiver and a deaf one.

If it takes 100 microvolt to just hear a signal it is deaf and that is my opinion. How many dx stations do you think you work unless their signal as at least 20DB over S9.

In short the fact remains the guy won't tell the truth about the actual operating condition of the radio he is selling. And by the way he owned an Icom IC 746 at the same time as the purchase so, it wasn't like he didn't know there weren't any issues.

And by the way on the subject on the tube, the buyer wasn't truthful and tried to cover his tracks with another hams name that wasn't their to observe and confirm the tranmitters operation as he stated. Read the actual emails that were sent and received it explains the whole story.

And the post above this one is 100% correct. I wouldn't sell the guy a second of time because of what he is willing to do and mislead folks whether he is buying or selling it is nothing more than a simple warning.

In my opinion "WARNING"

If 50uV is by definition S9, how is 100uV 20dB over S9? This is what bothers me about your claims, they are repeatedly overstated. Again you yourself said you heard signals, it stands to reason that the seller probably didn't bother to take lab equipment to the radio to verify specs when he also was able to hear signals. I mean did Carl make specific claims as to sensitivity? Do you want to restate your claim as to how far off the VFO actually was? 100kHz seems pretty unlikely, but that's just my opinion.

As for the tube, I did read the thread. It showed signs of being a gassy tube and the buyer was well within reason to expect the 400C to work in place of a 400A. There is no electrical difference between the two.

I can't help but feel that I'm off topic on this, but I guess it is feedback with the goal of educating people during their decision to do business with someone. Just like the OP intended when he started this thread.
KE3W

Post by KE3W »

VE6WR wrote:Great. Forum sherriff. Glad you found a calling in life. The spelling and grammar comments were but a tiny bit of what I tried to convey. But, thank you for the education. Glad also that you could feel superior.
There you go - I expect no less from you Arthur.

73 to you as well.
KE3W

Post by KE3W »

VE6WR wrote:
KE3W wrote:
Why did it bother you so much?
The mere fact that you don't know why it "bother's me" - explains it all Arthur. You could have just "stayed on topic" but felt it was necessary to "zing" the ham rather then just addressing the topic...like I said - the mere fact that you don't know why it "bother's me" says it all.

kg8lb

Post by kg8lb »

VE6WR wrote:
kg8lb wrote:

Just my two cents.
Two cents, no sense.

This forum exists primarily as a vehicle for folks to compare notes on their dealings with others. People read the reports , compare notes , then form their own opinions. These opinions are often used to guide future dealings. Perhaps you were looking for a forum that allows you to demonstrate your wonderful command of the language arts ?
Language afffords communication VIA written words. The original posting expressed a warning , that was his intent . (And your intent was ?)The intent was in line with the spirit of the thread. Errors and all, the thoughts of the originator were conveyed.

Great. Forum sherriff. Glad you found a calling in life. The spelling and grammar comments were but a tiny bit of what I tried to convey. But, thank you for the education. Glad also that you could feel superior.

73's

Have a good one. Take care. I'm out of here.
Actually,no superiority issues here . Barely average perhaps.Heck I graduated at the bottom of my class ! No big deal. Then again , I wasn't the person making that particular comment about you .

73 ,OM

A point of note to would be grammar police persons:
Proper punctuation adds clarity in written communications.
OK, So where are the filters now ?
N8ITF

N5QMG MR. Brown

Post by N8ITF »

I checked the FCC database and noticed you went from a tech to a extra. But I didn't see where you had your advanced class which means you eather passed 5 words a minute code or you are a NO CODE..Or I may be wrong you may be blessed, but you will have prove it to me.

Where do you get off acting all knowing like you are god. You know the tube ISSUE is a dead subject. If you haven't figured it out yet. I have a fellow HAM friend that has T-368 transmitter that his 4-400s glow blue and work just fine . You need to ask WJ4O Jim White it is his transmitter, we can be found on 1.968 during the winter and once or twice a week during the summer. Or better yet Email him and ask him.

Being you are a new ham I will cut you some slack, A normal rx in the HW and SB series radios even on 10 meters it is a maximum rx sensitivity of .5 microvolts. Worse case is 100 microvolts. If you had paid close attention to the description it said"10 microvolts on 20 meters" and was a lot worse as you went up band. But to save myself a crap load of typing in the email I didn't list everything.

Now if you had any knowledge of the performance of the 2 series of radios would stop asking stupid questions.

I don't recall asking this post to be a poll. Are you done beating the dead horse to death or are you going to continue riding this poor animal into his or her grave?

I have been licensed over 30 years continous and had my novice 2 times, I have held all classes of ham licenses including my advanced which means I had to past the 13 word a minute code requirement, and I still don't know everything, and probably won't in the rest of my lifetime. Now if you have any other constructive comments I will invite them otherwise drop it. You are a huge waste of time and I just don't have it to spare for dumb questions. If you can't put all the facts togther I do suggest furthering your education.

Oh there is one more thing, I guess you didn't consider.

Like on your ham radio if you don't like what you are hearing you have 2 options, change the frequency or turn the thing off.

Here on the internet you have the same simular options, Click on a new webpage or turn the computer off.

I hope this solves any further questions you may have.

Whether I make a typo it is nothing more than a mistake.

Enough said , Have a good day.
n5qmg

Post by n5qmg »

Did I touch a nerve? Me a new ham, ha ha ha. I've been a ham for more than 20 years and playing with electronics and computers for more than 30,. As for having to prove anything to you, guess again.

You started this thread to warn people, now they've been properly warned. I don't see why you're so upset. about it. :lol:
N8ITF

N5QMG Mr. Brown

Post by N8ITF »

Upset ? Not me just tired of folks the have have nothing better to do then nit pick and waste valueable server space.

And unlike some I do my best to answer all questions truthfully.

And I was writing software 36 years ago in high school and working on mobile phones and two way radios in starting in 81 so no big deal.

I enjoy building repeaters out of junk, amplifiers out of spare parts and so on.

I was certified in on board repairs in dual computer 750,000 dollar church organs in 1987. I enjoy electronics in so many different fields. I have even had to repair a couple of communications service monitors of my own, it is really no big deal.

This is the best hobby a person could have .

Have a great evening.
n5qmg

Post by n5qmg »

I started learning about electronics about 40 years ago when I was a kid. I built a COSMAC ELF in '78 and became a paid programmer in '80 on Honeywell mainframes. Despite being employed as a programmer, I always continued to tinker with electronics, but I didn't become a ham until '90. I didn't upgrade again until last year. They've made it pretty easy with the public question pool and no more code requirements.

I came across PIC chips nearly 10 years ago and started making some projects that actually did useful work. Took on ARM processors so I could write in something other than assembler. Played with a bunch of other microcontrollers as well.

I'm sure the same applies to you, but there's simply way too much other stuff to even try to list like 17 years of Linux hacking and being in on the first south texas balloon launches. I construct pretty much all my own antennas and work on my own equipment now. 40 years is a long time and allot takes place. Ask enough "stupid questions" and you pick up a thing or two along the way.
:wink: