An obvious scam attempt by "Walker Butt"

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
K0ST

An obvious scam attempt by "Walker Butt"

Post by K0ST »

Be aware of " Walker Butt". I received responses to several I placed on QTH.com from this person offering to buy the items and proceed to let me know that he would be having a cashiers check for $4500 delivered to me and I was to cash the check, take out for the items purchased, and an extra $100 for myself and send the rest of the money to him via Western Union. Needless to say I did not bite on this offer but I thought I should post this just in case anyone is tempted you will lose big. What ususally happens is the bank cashes the check for you and after you send off the money the check turns out to be counterfeit leaving you holding the bag.

He may not ever use the name "Walker Butt" again but BEWARE of any offer of this nature.
k3ich

Sub-Hobby

Post by k3ich »

You guys are sure putting a big crimp in a sub-hobby of mine which is collecting those bogus checks. So far I've got three of them totaling over $18 k. They're not very imaginative with their names as you probably noticed. I was to contact a Morgan Freeman in London, and the check was from Jack's brother, John Daniels. (HI HI) The sad part of all this is that I actually know someone who was taken for six large + his radio!
73 Chas
k4kk

Post by k4kk »

If you guys fall for those bogus names, you deserve to get scammed. I sold my radio yesterday to Mr Hall E Berry. He is sending me a check and I will refund the difference to his associate, Mr Robert Hope who is a resident at the Paris Hilton. I had sense enough to check them all out before I sent my new FT-9000 via FedEx air.