Beware ( W4DG )

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
N4JZY

Beware ( W4DG )

Post by N4JZY »

Here I am again. I do not like to use this forum for negetaves but just do not want to see anyone else get burnt.

I am not one for Drama so will try to keep this short why showing all details. I would have written the $150.00 off but after seeing the black resister I looked up Dennis Griffin W4DG in the QTH forums ad saw the earlier blog. I suggest anyone reading this please read the other blog. I did not have many words to say to Mr Griffin after reading the other.

Anyone wanting all original emails contact me off list.

Mr Griffin refused the return of the tuner package today and denied a refund.

73,s Randy Pence/N4JZY

Forwarded conversation
Subject: RE: QTH.COM Ad -- AT-100AMP Auto-Tuned Inpu...
------------------------

Dear Dennis Griffin W4DG,

You have received a response to your ad, titled "AT-100AMP Auto-Tuned Input (160-6m) 125w", that you have running on the QTH.COM Free Ham Radio Classified Ads.

The response is from:

Name: Randy Pence
Callsign: N4JZY
E-mail: n4jzy@arrl.net

The response is:

Hi Dennis
I would like to purchase the AT-100AMP if still available.
Thanks, Randy/n4jzy

--------------------------------------------------------
For your reference, here is a copy of the ad you are responding to:

Listing Number: 885787
Date Ad was Placed: 01/26/11
Name: Dennis Griffin
Phone Number: 727-863-0102
Callsign: W4DG
Category: AMPHF
Heading: AT-100AMP Auto-Tuned Input (160-6m) 125w
Ad Message:

For Sale: "Perfect condition" as new, LDG Electronics AT-100 AMP (includes AT-100PRO and AT-100AMP CPU. Provides your RF Amplifier an auto tuned RF amp input for 160-6 meters is rated at 125w drive input. Purchased new from W4RT and is complete with factory box, cables, manuals,etc. I aborted my amp project, so it is now excess to my needs. I paid $210 + shipping. Will sell for $150.00 (shipped USA).

----------
Date: Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 8:33 AM
To: Randy Pence N4JZY <n4jzy>

Hi Randy:It is still available. Let me know for sure you want it and I'll make it
sold pending funds.
Please send a USPS Money Order for $150.00 payable to: DENNIS GRIFFIN
Address:
18708 Lansford Drive
Hudson, FL. 34667-6479

73, Dennis Griffin - W4DG
ASM, OOC & Webmaster
ARRL West Central Florida Section
www.arrlwcf.org

----------
Date: Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 8:40 AM
To: Dennis Griffin <w4dg>

Do you still have the chip that came in the 100PRO
Randy
--
Randy Pence
N4JZY

----------
Date: Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 8:53 AM
To: Randy Pence <kd4jzy>

Yes….you now have to buy an actual ”complete” AT-100PRO tuner and purchase a separate AT-100AMP CPU chip, then remove the PC board from the tuner enclosure, switch CPU chips, then install just the PC board into your amp.

I removed the PC board and changed CPU chips and that’s as far as I got with the project. The AT-100AMP CPU chip is installed now and the AT-100PRO chip is within its static free bag, along with the original PRO enclosure, manuals and cables. Everything is there to put back together as a standalone tuner (switch CPU chips) or use as a tuned input for the amp.
73, Dennis

----------
Date: Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 8:57 AM

Thanks Dennis

I will send a Money Order to you. Should I not make it to the Post office before it closes today It will go out Monday.
I am good in qrz.

Randy/n4jzy
--
Randy Pence
N4JZY

----------
Date: Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 9:09 AM

ROGER!

I will let you know when it arrives and when I send it out to you, via email.

Dennis

Sent: Saturday, February 12, 2011 8:57 AM

----------
Date: Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Attached PDF

MO went out this morning.

73s Randy/n4jzy
--
Randy Pence
N4JZY

----------
Date: Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 2:07 PM

QSL!Dennis

Sent: Saturday, February 12, 2011 1:47 PM

----------
Date: Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 10:58 AM

Hi Dennis

Hopefully you will receive funds today. Some one in your state sent ma a money order last Saturday and I have not received it. I think they should shut the Postal Service Down and save us some Money.

Thanks, Randy/n4jzy>
73s Randy/n4jzyOn Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 9:09 AM,

Dennis Griffin w4dg@arrlwcf.org> wrote:

ROGER!

I will let you know when it arrives and when I send it out to you, via email.

Dennis

----------
Date: Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 5:06 PM

Hi Dennis
No rush on my end just want to see if the MO has made it yet. It will be one week Saturday it was put in the mail and I am not that far away from you.
Randy
--
Randy Pence
N4JZY

----------
Date: Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 5:19 PM

It arrived in yesterday’s mail (4:00PM). FEDEX package shipped today. You should be getting auto-tracking info from them, so you can follow to your QTH.

The PC board with the AT-100AMP CPU was already installed in the PC board for my amp project started, then abanded (as stated in my last email).

I removed the board from my amp project chassis and then semi-mounted it back into its original LDG enclosure but none of the leads are connected. If you want to use it as a standard tuner, remove the CPU chip (exchange with AT-100PRO CPU chip that’s also included) and re connect are wires that were unsoldered to remove the PC board.

If you intend to use as an auto-tuned RF amp input circuit, simply remove the board from the enclosure and install in you amp.

Both sets of instructions are included as well as ALL the original cables that came with the LDG AT-100PRO auto-tuner.

Enjoy!

Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2011 5:06 PM
To: Dennis Griffin
Subject: Re: RE: QTH.COM Ad -- AT-100AMP Auto-Tuned Inpu...

----------
Date: Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 5:24 PM

Sounds great.

Thanks, Randy
--
Randy Pence
N4JZY

----------
Date: Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 3:14 PM

Hi Dennis

Just got home and the tuner was here. Just wanted to say thanks. I have an old Dentron and SB-220 that this will help broaden up the input. Just got to decide which to put it in.

Thanks, Randy/n4jzy
--
Randy Pence
N4JZY

----------
Date: Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 9:02 AM

Hi Dennis

While inspecting the LDG board I see that R-17 is chard.
I work to hard to spend my money like this!
--
Randy Pence
N4JZY

----------
Date: Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 9:14 AM

I can send everything back to you or to LDG for repairs at your expense.

Randy/n4jzy
--
Randy Pence
N4JZY

----------
Date: Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 2:44 PM

Randy:

I know you work too hard to spend my money like this! You expect to receive what you paid for and I sent you what I represented to be what I had knowledge.

In nearly 54 years that I have been a ham and having sold many items, I never guarantee anything sold, as the item could be damaged during transit or by the end user (not that I’m suggesting that you had anything to do with the “discolored” R17)!!

Of the many items sold over the years, you are only my second complaint, which I can appreciate, from your point of view.

When I first got the tuner from W4RT (AT-100PRO) I tested it out using my old 100w output TS-830S. It worked on the 3 antennas I had for 80m, 40m and 20m (dipoles). The only thing that was required was to hook up was +12v & GND on the power leads and connect the transceiver and antennas. I connected each antenna to test to ant #1 port. These tests took less than 15 minutes to validate, then I move on to dissemble the PC board from its internal connections, remount it on the bottom of my SB-220 amp and connect the SB-220 input and output cables (from the old tuned coil network) onto the input and output solder tabs on the PC board.

After these cables were hooked up, NO +12V WAS EVER applied to the unit again! In fact, the SB-220 has sat idle, on the work bench, since last year with no time, or desire for me to complete the project!

I have NO idea what R-17 is or does. You have ALL the schematics and books pertaining to the unit.

Sending it back to me, to send for a new R17 (whatever it is for) seems to me, to be not the best option.

Since I had no idea what R17 is used for in the tuner, or even if it is even burnt out, (or just “discolored” by being a defective part supplied), or if the tuner still even works as an AT100PRO, I would suggest that you re-assemble the PC board and exchange the CPU and test it, to see if it works as an AT100PRO tuner, before you contact W4RT (I have enclosed my original invoice, now just a year old this SUNDAY, FEBRUARY, 27, 2011). Even If it does still work, you could check to see if he provide you with a replacement resister, since that what seems to be of concern ( again, if in fact it needs to be replaced).

Have you removed one side of this resister and measured it? Does the parts list inform you of its value?

The cost would be more minimal, if you can find out the “value”, either from the parts list or from W4RT or LDG and if it’s a common value stocked at Radio Shack store, purchased one for a few cents and replace it.

Again, I would suggest that you hook up the PC board back up in its case and exchanged the CPU and see if it indeed functions and works, as an AT100PRO tuner?

Again, I simply removed it from its case and changed CPU’s and put it in my SB-220; that project was abanded, as I was diagnosed with cancer and have undergone surgery, have an inoperative skull tumor and have other related health problems with my kidneys.

Not your problem, for sure Randy but I have little time left for ham radio!

I have been trying to reduce what items I have left lying around the shop and shack, to spare my XYL the problems of disposing with ham radio items.

Again, I had prior NO knowledge of the R17 being discolored or overheated.

Dennis

Sent: Friday, February 25, 2011 9:03 AM

----------
Date: Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 3:31 PM

The resistor on the board is black. I will not remove it for fear of it breaking. There are no schematics in the paperwork nor does LDG make them public. I travel for a living so my time at home is valuable to me. I do not purchase items to spend hours trouble shooting them when I receive them to maybe have them work or not work. What you said is what I was doing. Mount the circuit board in the case to make sure it worked before wasting my time installing the board in an amp. I need not go further with this turner as a black resistor is not a good sign of a healthy circuit board. No I have not applied power as the circuit board was never completely installed.

Your tracking number: 589293615000257

----------
Date: Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 5:51 PM
To: kd4jzy@gmail.com

Your tracking number: 589293615000257

Well Randy, as I stated to you in my below attached email, I DO NOT GUARANTEE anything that is used.

I never implied that I did!

I am refusing the FEDEX Package and having it sent back to you. If they do not accept my refusal, you can arrange to have it picked up again, from me, if you so desire, prepaid.

Your payment to me was for a USED tuner/PC tuner input board, as advertised.

My obligation was to represent this used ham circuit board/tuner as best I could, in my ad.

I did that!

I had NO personal knowledge of this R17 being “black” any more than I do not know, if YOU applied power to the board and caused R17 to burn out!

You bought this USED PC tuned input circuit board for nearly $55 less than what I paid for it, less than a year ago and it was still under warranty.

I suggested, in my last email response to you that you contact W4RT or LDG, regarding the replacement of this “black” resistor.

You apparently didn’t feel you should bother with either of my suggestions and simply are sending it back to me, expecting me to “Guarantee” your purchase.

You stated “ I do not purchase items to spend hours trouble shooting them when I receive them to maybe have them work or not work”.

Then perhaps, to paraphrase your last quote, you should not in the future, purchase USED items that may or may not require you to work on them, for either your lack of time of technical ability.

Sorry you chose that latter.

I will not guarantee any used items!

Sent: Friday, February 25, 2011 3:31 PM
Subject: Re: RE: RE: QTH.COM Ad -- AT-100AMP Auto-Tuned Inpu...

----------
Date: Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Suite Yourself

Seems there are a lot of you showing up on QTH these days!
--
Randy Pence
N4JZY
hamradman

Post by hamradman »

Yup Randy, this guy is a fraud and scam artist. He will list something and say "As new, perfect condition" and when you receive it it's broke or burnt up. What makes me laugh is that in your case a resistor is burnt and he says it mite have happened in shipment.