UPDATE WARNING N8LGL Paul Besimer sold me faulty FT-897-D

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
N9HPA

UPDATE WARNING N8LGL Paul Besimer sold me faulty FT-897-D

Post by N9HPA »

UPDATE: On 3-7-11 at 12:26 pm central, recieved a reply on my phone from Vertex Standard (Yaesu) of California . Repair tech said he'd bad news for me! the radio had not only been mistreated & abused but it was water soak inside. The main circuit board had been destroyed from water damage & to make it operational would be more than the radio worth. There would'nt be much chance of it being dependable for a period of time.

Over $600 to repair plus shipping not to mentioning my $700 & costs up til now! He'll bill me $35 & shipping on my credit card to return Yaesu FT-897-D.

Mailed papers today to Lisa Madigan Attorney General, State of Illinois, 500 S Second St, Spfld, IL phone 1-800-742-5877

Also called Ohio Attorney General office whom i've mail everything pertaining to this case for action
and response. Instead of waiting until another week as planned!

complaint # 715 645
phone 614-466-4320
address: Consumer Protection Section
30 E.Broad St, 14th floor
Columbus, Ohio 43215

This is Paul Besimer trucking company and home address, call signs If he is ripping me off I'm sure he rip people off in his business too.

Trucking Company USDOT# 1126510. Phone: 740-289-1140 Fax: 740-289-1140. PAUL D BESIMER ASTECH EXCAVATING AND TRUCKING LLC 108 BAYWOOD LANE Waverly, OH 45690 ...

Call Sign: KC8LGL, Licensee ID: L00178768
Grant Date: 11/20/1998, Expiration Date: 11/20/2008, Cancellation Date: 02/07/2004
Registrant: Paul D Besimer, 368 Woodview Dr, Chillicothe, OH 45601-9722

Registrant: Paul D Besimer, 368 Woodview Dr, Chillicothe, OH 45601-9722. Call Sign: KC8MQM, Previous Call Sign: W5PLB, Licensee ID: L01490965 ..

My friend told me seen Yaesu FT-897-D was listed on QTH.com for $700 bucks. Called and left a message and minutes later N8LGL- Paul Besimer called i told him I'd seen his radio on QTH.com and wish to purchase one. I inquired abt radio,mic,pwr cord,manuel,box & the condition of all the items.

N8LGL said several times that the radio was in "pristine" condition,& had been stored in original boxin closet for abt 1 1/2 year.

I did a careful and proper installation & 1st attempted to auto tune. Wouldn't even try-whatsoever!

I decided to try VHF/UHF,well it work a few minutes & i notice my special external meter made for this model radio wasn't receiving and signals along with the display on the radio. I check out the system and found that both meter displays performed on swr, mod,alc, pwr fine just RF signal non- functioning!

I inspected the contents, notice corrosion on the hf connector & brush it off a little. Bother me a little but couldn't spot anything more on the exterior at the moment. So decided to disconnect radio & visually inspect inside. remove cover discovered more corrosion,abnormal amount of lint & dust etc. Made me sick.

I know my equipment very well as this is my third radio. MY 1st ft-897 was the older model which i had over 1 1/2 years and only sold it to pair up 2 newer matching radios side by side.This way i could be more efficient for ham radio DXing, I'm 69 years old and I don't get around to well,haven't a whole lot money & ham radio is my personal enjoyment besides family and friends!

Called N8LGL Paul Besimer & explained radio hadn't been performed proper sense i had acquired. He couldn't understand abt the corrosion all lint and dust inside of radio. Which i told him couldn't happen appeared over night. All he said was keep in touch once in while...period. He has block my calls but i managed once the leave a message to no avail.. Refuses to answer my calls.

Now i ship it off to Yaesu in California hoping it don't cost whole lot money to fix it.[b][color=red][/color][/b] :( :( :(
Last edited by N9HPA on Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:32 pm, edited 10 times in total.
n8ulp

N8LGL

Post by n8ulp »

Yea this guy is a piece of work. He let me borrow that 897 and it was junk then.
used to work for him and found out what he was all about real quick!
would not buy a piece of coax from this guy!
And one thing he probably did not tell you about that radio, he used for a 10 meter beacon for who knows how long that's why its full of crap inside!!