K1MTM MISREPRESENTED EQUIPMENT

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
w4op

K1MTM MISREPRESENTED EQUIPMENT

Post by w4op »

This is the frist negative review I have had to write after many, many on-line trades. An earlier review of this same transaction has been posted on QRZ.

I recently bought a Ten Tec Paragon from K1MTM from the QRZ swap site.
The rig was represented as "collector quality 10/10"

What I got was a radio in fair to maybe good condition. Good is a stretch. Indeed LSB did not work- and I was told that. I was not told the radio had the PLL Unlock issue, that there were screws missing, the cabinet was badly scratched, the side trim pieces were in bad shape and one had epoxy smeared on it (as did the main tuning knob.. The D.C. power socket was missing, VOX/PTT switch did not function, several wires had been cut and taped, PTT did not work even after the switch was repaired, scratches on the rear panel and bottom plate, and lettering missing from several buttons.
I am probably forgetting some items- the list to correct the radio kept growing.

I wrote K1MTM listing the issues I was aware of initially and offered to return it at my shipping cost. I was told that the rig was not represented as "new" and I could sell it if I did not want it. Collector quality 10/10 is a far cry from what I received.
Now, some 19 hours of troubleshooting and repairing and cleaning and 2 parts orders from Ten Tec I have the rig fully functional. After I get the cabinets stripped, primed and professionally painted, the Paragon will be close to the description it was initially claimed to be in.

K1MTM is on my alert list- and probably should be on yours if you don't want to go through what I have gone through.
W4OP
KE3W

Post by KE3W »

Interesting - he might have known about this problem?

QRZ FORUMS: 12-17-2009, 04:22 PM - I NEED THE LOGIC BOARD FROM A M/585 PARAGON,IF YOU FIND ONE I WOULD BUY THE LOGIC BOARD,VIS-VERSA,KEEP IN TOUCH I WILL HAVE ONE SOON. K1MTM NISSAN08@VERIZON.NET
w4op

Post by w4op »

Yes, he knew about it but failed to disclose it in a phone conversation. When I got the rig, there was a handwritten note detailing the PLL issue.
However, his need for the logic board was most likely his attempt to fix the LSB issue.
The problem with LSB not working turned out to be one of the LSB enable lines out of U1 on the logic board was pinched between the RS-232 flange and ground. This was a real difficult one to find as the RS-232 connector on the rear apron is hidden from view. I could get LSB to work and then it would inexplicably stop working. My guess is that this guy pinched the wire himself while adding the RS-232 option and didn't even know it- but that is just a guess.
I now know more about the innards of a Paragon than I ever wished to know.

Dale W4OP
W4OP