Watch out when dealing with N1KAK, Alan Mc Cartney

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
k8tj

Watch out when dealing with N1KAK, Alan Mc Cartney

Post by k8tj »

I am a seller on eBay under the name of CW-MAN. 14 years, 100% feedback, thousands of you have my amp relay cables and mic adapters.
This character, N1KAK bids on a Drake TR-7 that I have listed on eBay that very plainly states "AS-IS for parts or repair only". Check it for yourself. The auction item number was/is 190450801581. He then pays with Paypal and manipulates his Paypal account so it shows a ship to address of someone else who is supposedly a tech. I question him and ask why him why I was shipping to a third party name/address. And that's the story he gives. "It's my radio tech". Ok fine, I ship the thing in the first week of October, I don't heard anything until 22 Dec. when this N1KAK emails me that he demands a refund because the radio was not as advertised because his tech gives him a $550 quote for repairs. Now keep in mind the buyer has NEVER even seen the radio let alone check it before he turns a tech loose on it. Well apparently the reason for the 2.5 month delay seems to be the tech was sick and in and out of the hospital for this period of time. So now the guy realizes he has bid way to high on a parts radio (432.50) to be exact and decides now the repair costs are too much for him and now he is threatens extortion. Here is a copy of his latest email to me...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just so you are aware, I have emailed all the techs on this site http://www.rldrake.com/contact.php informing them that you lied to me regarding the sale of this rig and that you have utter distain for those that you sell too.

Your word is not to be trusted. It is too bad that people like you exist in this hobby.

I am working hard to see that you and your call sign is extremely well known as someone that does not back up what they sell (via broadcasting it all over the Internet as much as I can, and that you are not someone that can be trusted. I would hope that you have learned something here and would reconsider a full refund.

Sincerely / Merry Christmas
Alan
N1KAK
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out that last paragraph... EXTORTION or not?
This bonehead started his bidding at $100, my reserve was $149.95. Why would someone continually outbid other people up to over $400 for a parts radio that's barely worth $250 when it's working.
He screws up by bidding too much then attempts to extort his sellers for his SCREW UP! Go figure... BE CAUTIOUS when dealing with this guy who has a feedback number of 28. I have 15,873 all 100% POSITIVE.
--
Tim, K8TJ
CW-MAN
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

I have bought amp cables and one radio from Tim all as advertised. In fact one time i ordered a cable and realized after i got it that i already had the same cable and Tim gladly exchanged it for one i really needed at no extra cost other than to ship the wrong one back.
Tim this is just a thought but being as your original price you were willing to accept was $149.00 why not just compromise with the person and offer him back say $200.00. That way your still a head and he would be less into the cost of repair. Just a thought mind you, not my money so easy to think that way...
Larry Huff K0pd
W4LTD

Post by W4LTD »

I have also purchased many cables from Tim and can attest to the quality of his work and his word... Top Notch!

Merry Christmas to all...

--Rich
NA6TE

N1KAK-Shame Shame

Post by NA6TE »

I'll put my $$ with Tim on this one. I have purchased cables, connectors and a 2 mtr amp from Tim and all were as advertised. Even when Tim got one of the cables backwards I had the new one before I could get the wrong one back to him. Don't worry about this flake Tim, your reputation supercedes you.

Nate....NA6TE :D
What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
K4ICL

Why is an eBay deal gone bad posted on this site?

Post by K4ICL »

Not to put too fine a point on it -- the feedback under discussion has nothing do do with QTH.com. Since the described deal has nothing to do with QTH.com, why is this posted on this site?

K4ICL
NA6TE

Post by NA6TE »

Not to put too fine a point on it -- the feedback under discussion has nothing do do with QTH.com. Since the described deal has nothing to do with QTH.com, why is this posted on this site?

You continue to ask the same question about these kind of posts. How about the reason the post is here because you can't fore warn about someone on EBAY but you can warn about them here since majority of the hams use EBAY, QTH & QRZ. No matter where the complaint is written, once propagated most search engine will ferret out the riff raff.
That means QTH is serving a meaningful service even if the transaction was not on QTH.

Nate.....NA6TE
What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
K8YZK

Post by K8YZK »

I have delt with Tim in person several times, and his equipment is always as stated in his ads.

Sounds like the other guy thought he was getting something for nothing and it burnt a hole in his pocket.
K4ICL

To Nate and perhaps others.

Post by K4ICL »

Nate (NA6TE): You seem to be a reasonable person. This site is meant to be a tool for QTH.com users wanting to exchange QTH.com related information.

Consider, if you will, what this site would look like if a majority of hams with "eBay-gone-wrong" issues were to jump on this site to air their eBay originated gripes, complaints, and issues.

Then consider the geometric expansion of the site bandwidth if QTH.com users and others, who were not even involved in the gripes, complaints, and issues of concern, were to jump in and add their 2 cents worth.

You would suddenly find this site jammed with "noise well above S9" caused by communication not relevant to QTH.com or most of the users of QTH.com.

This would not be good. Take a look at the dialogue on this site relating to "Radio Mart" to see a simple example of what I am talking about.--none of dialogue is relevant to using QTH.com--the issues are eBay related issues.

Now you know why I have to ask the same question so often. It is called attempted diplomacy. A polite call to help keep the noise to a minimum so the intended QTH.com related feedback can continue to get through.

Thanks for your understanding...

AL K4ICL
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

Al i agree with both your view and NA6TE's view. It is hard to disagree with both of your points of view. What i'm trying to say is you both make valid points. So being as we all would like to know who the scallywags are out there maybe it would be best if the mention of E bay transaction not be mentioned and one only say Joe Blows Call sign and give there statement of i had a bad experience with this person and would not reccomend them to any one. Just a thought that way if one wanted more info they could contact the person who left the negative or positive feed back for more.
Larry Huff K0pd
K4ICL

Sounds good...

Post by K4ICL »

Larry:

Sounds good to me.

Thanks...

AL
K4ICL
NA6TE

Sounds Good

Post by NA6TE »

Al,
I understand what the QTH forum is however maybe QTH should offer a HAM COMPLAINT FORUM OTHER THAN QTH DEALINGS

The heading could also have the rules that it is a notifier ONLY and should not get into the "he said she said" BS.Possibly limit it to initial post only with no threads and delete after 5 business days but would still be searchable for the ham call.

In other words QTH would be offering another service that is not offered else where. Just an idea. Happy New year

Nate...........NA6TE :)