WB9DNB Beware

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
k7zy

WB9DNB Beware

Post by k7zy »

I placed a "want" for a B&K 747B tube tester on QTH.COM. WB9DNB,Larry Foster of Williams, Indiana responded. He stated he had a "real nice working unit" for sale. We agreed on a price of $225.00 dollars to include shipping and insurance. I sent a money order to Mr. Foster that day.

The tube tester arrived via UPS. The shipping container was in perfect condition, and the tester was well cushioned in wadded newspaper. Upon removal I opened the tube tester and thought the meter was installed upside down. Upon closer inspection I found it was the clear plastic meter face cover that was upside down. (make and model number on top of the meter face and inverted.) I then noticed the meter needle was bent like a pretzel and broken from the movement.

I immediately telephoned Mr. Foster and asked if he had inspected the interior of the tube tester prior to it's shipment. His response was "NO". I explained what I had found and he immediately changed his story. He claims he used the tester the day before he shipped it and it was in perfect condition. During our phone conversation Mr. Foster agreed to my returning the tester to him for a refund. A short while later I received an e-mail from him effectively calling me a liar. He stated that he had decided that I had tried to do something with the meter and broken it, and was now just trying to get my money back.

I called DOUTT ELECTRONICS who service and repair the B&K products. The price for a new meter is $155.00 dollars, and they have no used ones. I again called Mr. Foster and informed him of this. He stated he would only send me $50.00 dollars and I could find my own meter and repair the tester myself. (just what I needed, a tube tester in kit form). Mr. Foster did send me a personal check for $50.00 dollars. I am now only out $175.00 dollars for a worthless tube tester. This assumes the check is good.

I have tried to give Mr. Foster the benefit of the doubt and imagine what UPS could have done to cause this type of damage. The great condition of the shipping container and the cushioning indicate to me that it's very unlikely UPS is responsible. The fact that the plastic meter cover was inverted and securely attached indicates to me that Mr. Foster had an issue with it and saw an opportunity to unload it on a sucker. "ME". No mention was made of contacting UPS, so I doubt the unit was insured.

Mr. Foster must have an extremely pathetic life to sacrifice his reputation and pull this sort of scam for $225.00 dollars. Integrity, honesty, and being good for your word are apparently not in this mans vocabulary. I highly recommend you avoid doing business with this individual.

73 K7ZY/Dale
K3ASF

WB9DNB

Post by K3ASF »

Wish you would have posted this a few months earlier. Purchased a TS-940SAT from him in February. Worked fine for a short time. Now, no rcv/xmt. He said it worked fine for him. Maybe it did maybe not but I would be skeptical to buy from him again.
k7zy

WB9DNB Larry Foster

Post by k7zy »

Well he is at it again. Check the QTH listings number 422364 and 418538, Larry Foster is back trying to cheat someone either for money or equipment. Please check the feedback on other sites, too, as there are several negative reports on this guy elsewhere. K8ERV has him posted on the "BAD GUYS" list. Be very wary of doing any business with this individual.
KA9FOX
Site Admin

WB9DNB

Post by KA9FOX »

If he claims that UPS broke it, then he needs to file for damages... meanwhile, he should have refunded you the entire amount.

I will contact Larry myself about this.. if he does not take care of this, I will block him from using the site in the future.

EDIT: 7/23/04 11PM WB9DNB says that he will refund the entire amount.

- Scott KA9FOX
Last edited by KA9FOX on Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Free Ham Radio Classified Ads: https://swap.QTH.com
Fhonnold

WB9DNB

Post by Fhonnold »

Before Scott had this feedback forum I purchased a Drake TR-4C and power supply. from Larry Foster WB9DNB. Larry just placed the radio and power supply in a box without packing material and shipped it to me. upon arival it was a piece of junk. UPS would not pay of the insurance as the packing was non existant. I contacted Larry and he would do nothing to help me out. To make matters worse the radio was overstated and not in excellent shape, infact it would not work period. After many letters, and posts within the ads on QTH.com, Larry did come clean and paid for some of the damage, but would not take the unit back. I have decided not to deal with Larry anymore and would advise others to be very careful. Also Scott was a big help getting my deal cleared up. Thanks and 73, Fred W6YM :(
k7zy

Larry Foster WB9DNB

Post by k7zy »

Update:

Mr. Foster stated he would only send me a refund on the tube tester if I returned it to him FIRST. I did. Now I get an e-mail that he wants me to apologize to him and clear his name on QTH before he will refund any money. This guy has some real mental problems. Whatever you do, don't buy or sell anything from or to WB9DNB. This is the worst individual I have had the misfortune of getting involved with in 43 years in ham radio.

73 K7ZY/Dale
k4kk

Post by k4kk »

It would seem only 'fair' that you require him to refund the money before you even 'consider' any form of apology!! If/when you are refunded, it is up to you! After a few months of delays, wiggling, and running, any apology would seem inappropriate. It sounds a lot like he is extorting an apology and extortion is a felony!!!!
K4ICL

If I punch you in the nose then you need to apologize?

Post by K4ICL »

I fail to see where ANY apology would be in order. Apparently, the man has stepped way out of the bounds of appropriate behavior. It appears HE is the offender, not the offendee.

K4ICL
n4jjp

WB9DNB

Post by n4jjp »

I hope that you did not depost or cash the check for $50.00. If you did then in many jurisdictions that would change the status from a criminal matter to that of a civil matter removing any criminal options from the table. 73
k7zy

UPDATE

Post by k7zy »

Larry Foster, WB9DNB has made good on his promise to refund my money on the B&K tube tester. The matter is now closed as far as I am concerned.

73 K7ZY/Dale
K3PZ

Post by K3PZ »

I received an e-mail yesterday from Larry Foster concerning a Kenwood TS-830S listed for sale on this site. He stated that if I still had it that he wanted to buy it. The first thing that I always do before I sell to anybody is do a search on here and on QRZ.com for references, then I do a Goggle search on the name and the call sign to find out what I can learn about a person before I sell to them. After I found this posting on Larry Foster, I kindly informed him that I would not sell to him and provided him with a link to this top. This forum is an invaluable resource and should be the first stop for any ham thinking about engaging in a transaction with somebody they they have never dealt with before. Thanks Scott, for providing this service.

Paul Zora
K3PZ
n4jjp

WB9DNB

Post by n4jjp »

If you have not already cashed the check I would not. In many jurisdictions if you accept and cash or deposit the check then it removes the criminal aspect of the incident leaving you only with a civil suit as an option. This is the case where I live. The courts here would say that by accepting the payment that you have entered into a debtor / creditor relationship. I am not saying that it is right, but that is just the way it is. I would send the check back to him with a certified letter advising that only full payment will be accepted to avoid prosecution and carbon copy the letter to your attorney. 73 Jeff N4JJP