KJ4TOF - Ripped me off...

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
N6VMO

Post by N6VMO »

He lives in the Florida county of Escambia.... :lol:
w0bkr

Info

Post by w0bkr »

Yep, lives with mom/dad....what a low life..poor parents...
K4ICL

Question...

Post by K4ICL »

1. Scammer purchased a cashier's check from NFCU on 7/12.
2. Per NFCU (confirmed today), Scammer KJ4TOF completed affidavit swearing he lost the cashier's check (all in the same time frame).
Hmmm. What happened to the banking practice of holding refunds on lost, stolen, mutilated, etc. cashier checks for 90 days?

Is the credit union (acting as a bank) liable for your loss since they certainly knew the cashier check in question was not lost when your bank requested payment for your deposit by the credit union cashier check? Surely, they learned they had stopped payment on their cashier check for the wrong reason.

Seems it is the credit union's legal responsibility to verify such a claimed loss prior to a stoppage action since, it could leave payee's at financial risk, at no fault of their own. As sited, most bank rely on the 90 waiting period to clear up such issues before stopping payment.

Perhaps posing this question in a well written letter to that state's banking regulatory body, with a copy to the credit union, will encourage the credit union to reissue you a good cashier check.

You have nothing to lose.

AL
K4ICL
w0bkr

Re: Question...

Post by w0bkr »

K4ICL wrote:
2. Per NFCU (confirmed today), Scammer KJ4TOF completed affidavit swearing he lost the cashier's check (all in the same time frame).
Hmmm. What happened to the banking practice of holding refunds on lost, stolen, mutilated, etc. cashier checks for 90 days?

Is the credit union (acting as a bank) liable for your loss since they certainly knew the cashier check in question was not lost when your bank requested payment for your deposit by the credit union cashier check? Surely, they learned they had stopped payment on their cashier check for the wrong reason.

Seems it is the credit union's legal responsibility to verify such a claimed loss prior to a stoppage action since, it could leave payee's at financial risk, at no fault of their own. As sited, most bank rely on the 90 waiting period to clear up such issues before stopping payment.

Perhaps posing this question in a well written letter to that state's banking regulatory body, with a copy to the credit union, will encourage the credit union to reissue you a good cashier check.

AL
K4ICL
Hi Al

Yes, I sent them a letter requesting same and one to the CEO Culter Dawson, informing him of standard banking practices, regardless this criminal swore out an affidavit that he had "lost" it when he had it in hand, as that creates a very serious situation for the banking institution, by not having a wait period like many national banks do for this very reason.

Perhaps the Pensacola PD will take action (doubt it due the amount of funds), but am following up with them also.

In any event, he committed fraud, admitted same in PM's on QRZ which I have now blocked, and the bank certainly did the wrong thing by not following standard banking procedures.

I have relatives from the USN that live in Pensacola that may drive by there (bank) and check things out. Anyway, not holding my breath but have noticed like KB1LMI and others, he has gone into the woodwork and will likely appear again with another fraud scam with someone else....

K4ICL

Send a letter

Post by K4ICL »

I still think you should send a letter to the State Banking Commission or whatever the regulatory agency is in the state. You seem to have gotten the brush off from the offending "bank," to be expected. I suspect a letter of complaint to the authorities will yield much better results.

AL
K4ICL
w0bkr

Re: Send a letter

Post by w0bkr »

K4ICL wrote:I still think you should send a letter to the State Banking Commission or whatever the regulatory agency is in the state. You seem to have gotten the brush off from the offending "bank," to be expected. I suspect a letter of complaint to the authorities will yield much better results.

AL
K4ICL
That is in work also (SEC) and the state banking commissioner. I personally would not do business with a bank that allows bank, internet and mail fraud go on, even when notified. To me, they are really weak in protecting the community at large allowing a low life of this sort to steal and rip people off.

There are communications in work I just haven't finished yet. 4 have been sent off with more on the way.
W3WN

Re: Question...

Post by W3WN »

w0bkr wrote:
K4ICL wrote:

AL
K4ICL
Hi Al

Yes, I sent them a letter requesting same and one to the CEO Culter Dawson, informing him of standard banking practices, regardless this criminal swore out an affidavit that he had "lost" it when he had it in hand, as that creates a very serious situation for the banking institution, by not having a wait period like many national banks do for this very reason.

Perhaps the Pensacola PD will take action (doubt it due the amount of funds), but am following up with them also.

In any event, he committed fraud, admitted same in PM's on QRZ which I have now blocked, and the bank certainly did the wrong thing by not following standard banking procedures.

I have relatives from the USN that live in Pensacola that may drive by there (bank) and check things out. Anyway, not holding my breath but have noticed like KB1LMI and others, he has gone into the woodwork and will likely appear again with another fraud scam with someone else....

If he knowingly and willingly sent you a voided / blocked / cancelled check in the mail, with the intention that you would think it was good and valid... isn't that a violation of USPS mail regulations?

Have you talked with the postal inspectors about filling a mail fraud complaint?

Just asking.

73, ron w3wn
w0bkr

Yep

Post by w0bkr »

Yes, I have given info to the USPS Postal Inspector. Awaiting what they send me back or tell me.
w0bkr

Still no $$

Post by w0bkr »

Sept 2010: No communication since early August, and no money...hope this escalates shortly thru the appropriate channels.......

Don't buy or sell anything to this criminal that commits bank, internet and mail fraud....

KJ4TOF = Fraud
N9LCD

SORRY GUYS!

Post by N9LCD »

You're barking up the wrong tree.

NFCU IS NOT a bank. It's a credit union and state banking departments DO NOT regulate or supervise a National Credit Union".

The proper supervisory agency is:

National Credit Union Administration
1775 Duke Street
Alexandria, Virginia 22314-3428

Their toll free Consumer Assistance number is 1-800-755-1030.

N9LCD
W4LTD

Re: SORRY GUYS!

Post by W4LTD »

N9LCD wrote:You're barking up the wrong tree.
Perhaps, "You're banking up the wrong tree" would be more appropriate?
w0bkr

True...so true...

Post by w0bkr »

Gotta luv finding a bit of humor in things now and then....

so true!
W3KFQ

Ripoffs

Post by W3KFQ »

Entirely too much time and real estate has been expended on this one complaint.

Let the buyer and seller beware.

To many transactions are conducted without due diligence on the part of the buyer or seller....not a specific reference to anyone here.

A call sign is not a guarantee of the other parties honesty, that only works in an ideal world.

Treat the modest purchase the same as you would a major expenditure.

RBR
w0bkr

not sure

Post by w0bkr »

Not sure what more one can do when someone contacts them regarding wanting to purchase something...no previous callsign alerts, all appeared legit. He did comit mail and bank fraud as well as internet fraud. period.

In any event, it is a sad day that amateur operators have to scan the web for alerts on callsigns with each and every potential transaction, just what I did and still got suckered.......

Sad society we now live in is all I can say....I wasn't raised that way...so cannot comprehend such behavior....Period.
ab7r

Navy??

Post by ab7r »

I thought "maybe" if he used NFCU he may be active duty Navy. I looked up the name Billy Stone in the NMCI global but no such name exists there. There are some Williams and a Willie but nothing with a FL area code. I was thinking if he was active duty a nice letter to his commanding officer or command master chief may help.

Greg
AB7R
Retired Chief
WD8BIL

Post by WD8BIL »

Do not ship an item until the funds are safely in your possession!
Don't sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff!
busterbrown

KB2TEK

Post by busterbrown »

It is amazing how many people get involved when you post somethng. I learn do not post anything, not worth it. Everyone is a judge today and they judge everything on what they hear even on the news. I would hate to have any of you on a jury.
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

Buster Brown these are public forums open to members preferably of the Ham community. If you do not want your situation or thoughts open to others then do not post.
Larry Huff K0pd
busterbrown

Thank You Larry

Post by busterbrown »

I have or you can call it surrender my license back to the FCC because there is no way I am going to let a radio or talking on a radio ruin my health worse than what it is. Good luck to all you Judges out there and remember no matter what your religion is you will meet the maker and be judge and then it will all be evened out, because you will have no excuses or way to back paddle.Most of you guys have be on for many years and are old and senile and don't have anything else to do but mind everyone's business. Sad very Sad. Thank God i am not part of this Ham operator thing anymore. It is the best thing I ever did.. I hope you are all happy another cber's gone as you call us General's with no code.
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

Your doing a pretty good job of judging others also,so like my pappy said don't let the door knob hit you where the good lord split you on your way out.And i might add do not drown in your tears of self pity.
Larry Huff K0pd
w0bkr

They were...

Post by w0bkr »

WD8BIL wrote:Do not ship an item until the funds are safely in your possession!
They were and two weeks later, bank pulled them out...from now on, US Postal Money orders only, not some flakely bank's cashiers check...
w0bkr

Re: KB2TEK

Post by w0bkr »

busterbrown wrote:It is amazing how many people get involved when you post somethng. I learn do not post anything, not worth it. Everyone is a judge today and they judge everything on what they hear even on the news. I would hate to have any of you on a jury.
KB2TEK

Well, to be honest, others sometimes try and look out for other ops and provide guidance and recommendations based upon past experience...I think that is a good thing...adding stupid or inane remarks as some have (on many other postings also), you just have to ignore...

I appreciate the recommendations, all or which I have already pursued...

Like to see what the bank says about their stupid cancellation policy...doubt they will ever respond.... big business and the little consumer..
k8mcn

Re: Thank You Larry

Post by k8mcn »

busterbrown wrote:I have or you can call it surrender my license back to the FCC because there is no way I am going to let a radio or talking on a radio ruin my health worse than what it is. Good luck to all you Judges out there and remember no matter what your religion is you will meet the maker and be judge and then it will all be evened out, because you will have no excuses or way to back paddle.Most of you guys have be on for many years and are old and senile and don't have anything else to do but mind everyone's business. Sad very Sad. Thank God i am not part of this Ham operator thing anymore. It is the best thing I ever did.. I hope you are all happy another cber's gone as you call us General's with no code.
TROLL
w0bkr

Wierd

Post by w0bkr »

Well, have no idea what all that nonsense is about. Yeah, there are some individuals that like to jump into any post and throw something into the ring. I usually ignore the stupid and inane ones. What is the point. They crave attention.

Well, as an update, we did get the money back after applying some serious heat in the fraud department, well after I made up the loss myself. At least the funds were obtained well after a long time of working the issue.

This clown has gone into the wood work now..so who knows..may be laying in wait for another scam or perhaps got some jail time. Don't care. Won't be dealing with this loser on anything in the futue...of that I am certain...hope no one else does either..73 all and thanks to many for the help!
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

Glad to see you got your money back. Might tell us which venue of action seemed to be the one that worked in your favor ...
Larry Huff K0pd