HONESTY OF RATING RADIO EQUIPMENT

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
wx9c

HONESTY OF RATING RADIO EQUIPMENT

Post by wx9c »

When you rate equipment please rate it correctly. I just had dealing with this following ham :

WD5FBS
ALFRED C CHOVANETZ
367 PRIVATE RD 1010
HALLETTSVILLE, TX 77964

He rated a Icom 735 as a 8 out of 10. The radio has a broken split button, goughes, scrapes on the sides, bottom and the display face, it had been modified on the rear of the radio. BE HONEST WHEN YOU STATE THE CONDITON OF A RADIO, BECAUSE IN ITS PRESENT CONDITION THIS RADIO ISN'T WORTH $ 150.00.... BE HONEST , BECAUSE IT WILL COME BACK TO BITE YOU IF YOU DON'T....

Just so everyone is aware, he is going to pay to ship the radio back to him, he is still upset that i disagree with the conditon of the radio. but i'm sorry, with a broken ( split function button ) a missing RCA jack on the rear panel and a cheap wiring job from where the jack is missing to the other RCA jack where the small 3 inch jumper should be.. I'M SORRY ITS JUST NOT A 8 OUT OF 10. ITS A 5 AT BEST ON A VERY VERY GOOD DAY...
Last edited by wx9c on Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
w1wn

Post by w1wn »

Sorry about your misfortune, but did you ask for photographs. I never purchase anything in which the physical condition is important to me without them and generally all that purchase from me request the same thing.

Dave, w1wn
K4ICL

A seller's statement is not enough...

Post by K4ICL »

Getting a sellers statement of the condition of the items he is selling a good start but it is not enough. Don't buy ANYTHING until you have seen good clear properly focused pictures showing the visible condition of the item. Pictures will not tell you much about functionality but will assure you that you will not receiver a beater when you were led to believe it is a keeper.

No adequate pictures? NO SALE! This is a cardinal rule when dealing on the internet.

Finally, don't be shy about asking the right questions about the item.

Has it been in a smokers shack?
Does it work properly on all bands?
Has it been modified?

etc...

K4ICL

There is a complete set of equipment rating standards on http://www.k4cil.com.
kb5pn

Post by kb5pn »

Equipment ratings are like rating women....one man's 10 is another man's dog!!! :roll:
kk4aq

rateing equiptment

Post by kk4aq »

its a shame how greedy people just think about the almighty dollar anymore. used to be a mans word ment something and it was his bond. but nowdays it seems quite different from when i was growing up. ive read on here this one and that one took me to the cleaners. has no one have a care about the only thing they are going to take to the grave with them? " their name ". i guess im just an old fashioned hill billy with old fashioned ways. just my 2 cents
K4ICL

Right on!

Post by K4ICL »

Equipment ratings are like rating women....one man's 10 is another man's dog!!!
More reason to insist on seeing the pictures!
kw4h

Post by kw4h »

It amazes me just how many ads here lack photos. When selling, I never post anything without a photo. And as a buyer, I skip over most things that don't have one. Photos sell!

73, Steve.
KA2CDT

Post by KA2CDT »

On the opposite side of the fence I have seen feedback left here for hams stating that the equipment purchased is "better than described". I have purchased radios that were described as "good condition" or "nice shape" only to be pleasantly surprised when I opened the box to see a "mint" condition radio. :D
Oldschool-Hams Helping Hams
Ronald G. DeAngelis KA2CDT
Marco Island,Florida 34145
25.95°N 81.72°W
www.KA2CDT.com
W1JCW

Post by W1JCW »

kw4h wrote:It amazes me just how many ads here lack photos. When selling, I never post anything without a photo. And as a buyer, I skip over most things that don't have one. Photos sell!

73, Steve.
+1 for pictures..

I don't post any item with out pics. Pics sell the item quickly.

Come on guys if you don't see pics how can you take someones word for it
even with good feed back.

If I am spending some good hard earned money I want pics no matter what.

On the other hand, I have no idea how some guys treat expensive equipment
the harsh way they do..All screwed up, scratches in places that make you wonder how the heck did that happen. It's just like other items, guys don't take care of things..I like my items to remain mint, and I am very careful around them. Items are covered up to keep them clean.
73 -

W1JCW
John
WA5JAV

Equipment Pictures

Post by WA5JAV »

Pictures are good if the buyer can trust the seller with actual equipment pictures. Stock pictures or some Photoshop massaging will bring the buyer a false positive.
K9XR

Post by K9XR »

I think pictures are way over-rated. As mentioned before stock photos and the ever-popular cut and pasting can CERTAINLY give a false sense of security. I prefer to trust the sellers description and Yes, I know some people have different opinions of what "MINT" is. If something is referred to as MINT, it better be very nice or you have a good case for something not as described. I try to never make my stuff sound better than it really is. It just isn't worth the trouble of having someone disappointed or even Pi$$ed OFF.
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

If one needs to question the Value of Pictures just think Radio Mart and also go to E Ham and read the 9 pages of experiences with him.
Larry Huff K0pd
W1QJ

Post by W1QJ »

Hey guys, what did we do in the days of the yellow sheets? Remember the days before computers, e-mail, jpegs etc? You would think that an honest guy would price something accordingly. To me, I would imagine if someone is asking the high end price of something that it is in pretty damn good shape. If he is asking the low end it probaby isn't a cream puff. However that really shouldn't play into it. You should be honest about your description no matter what the price. I bought an SB-220 on here about 2 months ago. The guy was asking $650.00. I assumed at that price it was half way decent (you would think no?) I am guilty again I guess. I bought it and it was a piece of junk, the real price should have been about $400.00 (if that) I am being generous at that price. The honesty among hams has gone into the toilet. I guess I am just too old fashion for todays ham swapping. Good guys finish last. Lou
donate life
N9LCD

EQUIPMENT GRADING

Post by N9LCD »

I DO NOT condone dishonest and misrepresentation. However, the "grading" of equipment is HIGHLY SUBJECTIVE.

Legally, a certain amount of "puffery" or "hot air" is permitted; deliberate misrepresentation is not. Who would look at or consider something sold "AS IS"?

That's why it's the sales contract or sales agreement, NOT THE ADVERTISEMENT that governs.

Let's look at the largest single purchase that most of us ever make, our house. Most previously owned residential properties are sold "AS IS" despite all representations by the brokers. And any "warranties of condition" by the seller expire at the closing. And that's on an outlay that AVERAGES about $250,000!

Think and act accordingly when buying gear!

N9LCD
K9XR

Re: EQUIPMENT GRADING

Post by K9XR »

That's not true at all about houses, especially in Illinois. Haven't you ever heard of the Disclosure law? it protects the buyer from "hidden defects".

N9LCD wrote:I DO NOT condone dishonest and misrepresentation. However, the "grading" of equipment is HIGHLY SUBJECTIVE.

Legally, a certain amount of "puffery" or "hot air" is permitted; deliberate misrepresentation is not. Who would look at or consider something sold "AS IS"?

That's why it's the sales contract or sales agreement, NOT THE ADVERTISEMENT that governs.

Let's look at the largest single purchase that most of us ever make, our house. Most previously owned residential properties are sold "AS IS" despite all representations by the brokers. And any "warranties of condition" by the seller expire at the closing. And that's on an outlay that AVERAGES about $250,000!

Think and act accordingly when buying gear!

N9LCD
N9LCD

K9XR

Post by N9LCD »

Al:

Yes, I am familiar with those disclosures. I've filled-out more than one set of them.

I found out the hard way that there's a problem with all that paperwork: you have to prove that the seller was aware of the problem and failed to disclose it. That ain't easy.

"The place looks great. We don't know of any problems with it. But if there are any, you're stuck!" IMHO, that about sums it up.

JERRY

N9LCD
w8jn

amazing

Post by w8jn »

It never stops. A sleezball permanently destroys his ability to sell ham gear anywhere on the internet because he cheats someone out of $150... chumpchange... Amazing!
Happy Hoss Trading Paul w8jn
kk4aq

rateing equiptment.

Post by kk4aq »

seems everyone rates everything differently. no 2 people see things the same. if im buying a used radio i expect it to have scratches,maybe a few dings. and so on. ive seen more complaining about trival crap on here its not funny.if you want a new looking unit then just buy a new one and you wont have anything to complain about. ive never seen a used car that doesnt have a ding or scratch.get over it. just buy new and have a factory warrenty . even new nothing man made is perfect. and thats a fact
w8jn

Re: HONESTY OF RATING RADIO EQUIPMENT

Post by w8jn »

It's understandable to make a mistake rating a 7 an 8, or a 6 a 7, however the pile of junk listed below is hamfest flea market garbage deserving no more than a 4. No one in their "honest mind" could rate it at an 8! I'll bet the seller takes the rig back and keeps the money!!!
Happy Hoss Trading. Paul W8jn
wx9c wrote:When you rate equipment please rate it correctly. I just had dealing with this following ham :

WD5FBS
ALFRED C CHOVANETZ
367 PRIVATE RD 1010
HALLETTSVILLE, TX 77964

He rated a Icom 735 as a 8 out of 10. The radio has a broken split button, goughes, scrapes on the sides, bottom and the display face, it had been modified on the rear of the radio. BE HONEST WHEN YOU STATE THE CONDITON OF A RADIO, BECAUSE IN ITS PRESENT CONDITION THIS RADIO ISN'T WORTH $ 150.00.... BE HONEST , BECAUSE IT WILL COME BACK TO BITE YOU IF YOU DON'T....

Just so everyone is aware, he is going to pay to ship the radio back to him, he is still upset that i disagree with the conditon of the radio. but i'm sorry, with a broken ( split function button ) a missing RCA jack on the rear panel and a cheap wiring job from where the jack is missing to the other RCA jack where the small 3 inch jumper should be.. I'M SORRY ITS JUST NOT A 8 OUT OF 10. ITS A 5 AT BEST ON A VERY VERY GOOD DAY...
GALAXY67

RATING GEAR

Post by GALAXY67 »

Pictures are WAY over rated,yes they are nice,but what can you ACTUALLY see on a radio that has a black cabinet or ANY dark color,I would rather go by the feedback than pictures any day,most pitcures are not even real close ups anyway,like someone said,if in doubt,BUY NEW and don't complain...BOB WN8BOB
w8jn

feedback

Post by w8jn »

feedback is correct. i agree and do not need pictures from sellers like frank, roger, larry, marty, dave, paul, aj, lenny, bill g, and many more. these guys all have sent me detailed written descriptions and the equipment arrived "as new". aj sent me a pw-1 and it arrived with an electrical glitch. he made it right instantly. these are the kind of guys who make hoss trading fun and ham radio like it was in the "good ole days".
happy hoss trading Paul W8JN