Any info on W2ENY products?

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
W3WN

Any info on W2ENY products?

Post by W3WN »

I've been looking over some of the items that W2ENY is making available on his eBay store. A few of them are pretty much what I've been looking for, all to the good!

I haven't seen too much feedback either way on his products. I'm just wondering if anyone on the board has had occassion to purchase or use them, and what type of feedback you have.

Thanks!

73, ron w3wn
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

I believe this is the guy that sell's Microphones with head sets and desk top Microphones. I bought the head set vox one and it worked good and was not really over priced for what you get. Just realize this you get what you pay for and basically what he sells you can buy in a computer store at least that was my impression.
Larry Huff K0pd
w9mkm

Post by w9mkm »

I bought a desk mic from him awhile back. It was all plastic. Paid over 50 bucks with shipping. I couldn't even sell it on here for $35.00 which included shipping, so I gave it away. I'll let you decide....Thanks, Mark W9MKM
W3WN

Post by W3WN »

K0pd wrote:I believe this is the guy that sell's Microphones with head sets and desk top Microphones. I bought the head set vox one and it worked good and was not really over priced for what you get. Just realize this you get what you pay for and basically what he sells you can buy in a computer store at least that was my impression.
I have no problem with "you get what you pay for" which is why I was asking. His prices seemed almost too good to be true... but to put things in perspective, my immediate impression was that he was selling computer-level headsets with adapters to mate them with various rigs (including a separate connector for a footswitch or other external PTT switch)

Computer headsets I've got plenty of. But the adapter cable is more what I'm interested in anyway.

Thanks for the feedback.
KA9MOT

Post by KA9MOT »

W3WN wrote:
K0pd wrote:I believe this is the guy that sell's Microphones with head sets and desk top Microphones. I bought the head set vox one and it worked good and was not really over priced for what you get. Just realize this you get what you pay for and basically what he sells you can buy in a computer store at least that was my impression.
I have no problem with "you get what you pay for" which is why I was asking. His prices seemed almost too good to be true... but to put things in perspective, my immediate impression was that he was selling computer-level headsets with adapters to mate them with various rigs (including a separate connector for a footswitch or other external PTT switch)

Computer headsets I've got plenty of. But the adapter cable is more what I'm interested in anyway.

Thanks for the feedback.
And if you contact him, he can make you that adapter cable. He also sells foot switches. I got my first adapter with headset from him (Yaesu FT-857D), built my second (Kenwood TS-480SAT) and purchased both foot switches from him.

His headsets are junk, but they have good audio.

I currently use the homebrew adapter (It would cost less to buy it from W2ENY then what I paid to homebrew it) with the cheap computer mic you see in the picture on my QRZ look-up with his foot switch. When I need to use a headset I switch out to my Yamaha CM500. The adapter works very well for that setup.
Steve - KA9MOT
W3WN

Post by W3WN »

Thanks Steve.

After giving the matter some careful thought, and evaluating the feedback I got, I did go ahead and make a purchase. The way I'm looking at it, for the cost of the parts, and the value of my time to make the adapter/converter cable (time I don't have right now as I'm working on a "honeydew" construction project outdoors), it was worth it to me to purchase a headset & adapter combo.

If the headset is bupkus, well, the adapter alone is worth the price to me, so I'm looking on that as a bonus if it works, no big deal if it doesn't.

73, ron w3wn
W3WN

Post by W3WN »

Update:

I received the headset and adapter about a week ago. Haven't had a lot of time to play with the radios because of other things, but I have had some.

Short and sweet, the adapter works as advertised. It looks very professionally made, and all connectors are well labeled. In short, it alone was worth the money.

The headset itself is fine. It's a Technics computer-grade headset, standard connectors (so I can swap in other similiar headsets in the future), it's comfortable, sounds well, and I've had good audio reports on transmit. As I said before, to me that's all a "bonus."

The unit came very quickly; I had it in hand within about 2-3 days of placing the order, much faster than I expected it. Shipping costs were quite reasonable, no attempts here to offset eBay fees by shifting costs from the actual item to S&H.

Would I order from W2ENY in the future? Yes. I may not bother with another headset, though, simply use one of the ones I have.

One note: I didn't order the PTT footswitch he offered as I thought I had one; I ended up getting one from Henry Radio's eBay store for about the same price. Assuming I don't find my old one in time, if and when I order my next adapter (for my Corsair, which should be identical to the one for my Omni) I will probably skip the headset and go with the footswitch instead.