My Experience with Avvid

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
k8cpa

My Experience with Avvid

Post by k8cpa »

Short and to the point: OK Repair, LOUSY Business Ethic and communication skills

Long version:

Like many others on here. I shipped off my Kenwood TS-950SDX to be fixed by the man.

First off, let me say that *I* personally did not pay for the cost of the repairs, shipping or packing. My 60-something year old parents did... as a birthday gift to me. (God love them both...)

Luckily for me, I paid the extra money to get it triple boxed and it arrived in good shape. It also came back in the same shape.

The total cost of dealing with Mr. Holland to my Parents was $365.00 $225.00 for the job and shipping back, and $140.00 for the packing and shipping there.

To be fair to Mr. Holland, the PLL problem was fixed. It has not cut out totally, YET, like it did before. But it does STILL have the warble problem on TX and RX. It was just doing when it first came on, now it is doing it most of the time. Clif Said that the pod is flaky and that he would tell me how to fix it.

Sorry Clif, But when $255.00, plus $140.00 shipping packing fees is paid to fix a radio; I expect the thing to fixed and fixed right. I also expect prompt and kindly written e-mails. Not e-mails returned a day later and sometimes not at all. Further more, I expect you to answer the phone when I call and not act like I'm interrupting your Day when I do call. :x

I guess when I am able to get back to work. I guess *I* will have to pay to get the radio shipped down to AES and let Miles go through the thing and hopefully HE can fix the problem.

if anyone wants to review the e-mails that me and clif exchanged, please, e-mail me at k8cpa@comcast.net and I will forward them all.

73 de K8CPA
-Chuck Adkins K8CPA
Blog: http://www.k8cpa.com
Other Political Blog: Http://www.thoughtsandrantings.com
wa4wip

AVVID

Post by wa4wip »

Hmm - this doesn't sound like the Clif Holland at AVVID that I know - nothing but good reports - has repaired many, many rigs for me - quick turn around - good charges - I would recommend Clif to anyone, anytime - he knows what he is doing and gives out lots of FREE information via emails. He is to the point - why make a disertation out of something if a few words will do the job. Keep it up Clif - you get my business. Dick WA4WIP
K4ICL

Why not...

Post by K4ICL »

Avvid has a 30 day warranty policy. Why not return it for needed warranty work?

K4ICL
w8jn

HUH???

Post by w8jn »

Chuck,
Let me see if i have this right??? You are hacked off because you sent emails to Avvid and they didnt respond in 30 seconds? They waited 24 hours to respond?
I checked eham reviews. Cliff has 123 reviews 13 pages. 120 are 5/5 one is 4/5, then there is yours and one other fellow. Cliff is regularly on the reflectors giving out good quality professional advice for free. Based on your own comments, Cliff did not leave you twisting in the wind. He offered to continue to work with you and solve the problem. Sounds like good customer service to me. You paid $140 to have the rig professionally packed and shipped? Did you go to the UPS store? They are notorious scam artists and incompetent packers. I dont think I would be bragging that my parents are paying my bills. I would send my equipment to Cliff in an instant!
Lets summarize.. You say lousy communication skills because he didnt drop all he was doing and respond instantly to you? He responded by the next day? 24 hour response time? Thats real good in my book (based on your own comments, sounds like you were quite the pest).. strike one for you. Lousy business ethics? I didnt notice that he stole your money, scratched your rig, made you wait 6 months for repair, or sold your rig on ebay! Lousy business ethics??? Strike two on that one also...Ok Repair??? Thats why you sent it to him. sounds to me like you swung at three "heaters" and missed them all! wiff wiff wiff
Happy Hoss Trading Paul w8jn
Last edited by w8jn on Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bvkirk

Avvid

Post by bvkirk »

Chuck,
Cliff has repaired many radios for me as well. I have never had a problem. Quick turn around, fair price. I would recommend him to anyone needing equipment repairs.

Bill

W0PT
N4ATS

Re: My Experience with Avvid

Post by N4ATS »

Kenwood TS-950SDX to be fixed by the man.

First mistake , buying or owning one of "THE MOST' difficult radios on the planet to fix. I am the Orlando tech for AES. The 950 is a BOMB to even attempt to fix. That radio had the leading edge at its time....LONG ago... I have repaired well over 8,000 radios. The 950 IS the most difficult radio and quite frankly $250? I would have doubled that , as for shipping , use Fedex Ground Home Delivery which is 1/2 the cost.

Do your research before bashing what you paid for shipping...
73's from:
N4ATS
18.133 Mhz.
www.n4ats.com
w8jn

bill are you a betting man

Post by w8jn »

Bill,
I agree 100%. I'll bet you your nickel to my $5 that he walked into a ups store with a "naked rig" and asked them to "professionally pack it". Professional and ups store is an oxymoron. As you know, an item that will ship with Fed Ex for $1 will cost you $10 at the ups store. Bill, what do you do with nightmare customers who expect you to turn a refrigerator into a Ferrari and call you 4 or 5 times a day, then complains about the price?
Happy Hoss Trading Paul w8jn
wx1f

k8cpa

Post by wx1f »

Chucky Chucky Chucky ...
AGoogle search showed me you aint happy about anything or anyone! Good thing I saw this post...cause now I will NEVER repair, buy or sell anything with you. Too bad a great guy like Cliff got blind-sided by you.