Richardson Electronics - A Sad Operation

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
N0JR

Richardson Electronics - A Sad Operation

Post by N0JR »

I recently requested price quotes from sellers of RF power tubes for new Eimac 3CPX1500A7s. The best quote was $1,718 per tube (from RF Parts, not surprsingly). The worst quote by far ($1,048 more per tube!!) was
Richardson's at $2,750 per tube. Guess who got the business.
Don't buy or sell to ANYONE you don't have good reason to trust. Trust is earned, not demanded.
w8jn

stupid people

Post by w8jn »

Jan, from time to time I look at the prices people pay on Ebay and research their price. Often it turns out that buying new would have been cheaper than used on ebay. These are the same kind of people who pay too much for a car because the salesman told them that "it's a good price". They pay too much for a house because they "just have to have that house and there will never be another like it" . Salesmen are taught to look for these types. They are a salesman dream, "STUPID PEOPLE".
kg8lb

Post by kg8lb »

By the same token eBay final sale prices are often far lower than quoted prices right here on QTH. I guess it is up to the buyer to decide.
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

I have seen equipment advertised on here and stated sold only to see the same piece show up on E bay and bringing a higher price. Like person told me one time it's only worth what one is willing to pay...
Larry Huff K0pd
kg8lb

Post by kg8lb »

Sure enough, it works both ways.Conversely I have seen (and purchased) excellent gear on eBay at half the advertised prices here on QTH ,
I have also seen gear advertised here, marked sold show up on eBay and sell for far less.

One thing for sure, the market sets the price at auction, the seller tries to get a price otherwise. Can't understand why anyone gets so upset when others are willing to pay more than they themselves care to pay for an item.
eric

Epay-out-the-nose

Post by eric »

Ebay is a suckers paradise. I see people buy stuff on there and pay more than its worth all the time. I have gotten a few deals, but they are far and few between. The rule is there is always some idiot that wants the item more than you do, and they are willing and able to bid up as high as possible to get it from you. :?
K9FON
No BS ham radio for me. I don't play ham politics, i.e. code/no code, Cb vs Ham, ect, ect.
kg8lb

Post by kg8lb »

Sour Grapes ?

Face it there are people willing to out bid you. That doesn't make Ebay a "Sucker's Paradise" . It just means you may not realize the actual current prices. No need to begrudge someone else for their willingness to pay more. It happens at Hamfests too. People walk up to a table, ask the price . Upon hearing the price they get a look on their face like they just loaded their pants with broken glass and storm away as if someone had tried to rob them. The very next guy in line pulls out the cash and walks away with the gear, grinning.
No different from Ebay ! The same people.
Very often the advertised prices here at QTH are above actual selling prices on Ebay .
I have bought quite a bit of gear on Ebay that were indeed quite nice at very good prices as well. In fact if not for QTH and Ebay a lot of the gear and parts would have been very hard to find. It sure beats driving to hamfest, putting up with some of the rude, smelly CBers and CBers "upgraded to no code only to get quoted prices for broken down junk that are often at or above Ebay prices .
Once purchased there is little recourse for the all too often non functional stuff palmed off as perfect by "honorable hams" .
No one is forced to bid. You bid what you are willing to pay.

Sorry for yours but my experience with Ebay has been quite good indeed. Both as a seller and a buyer.
KA2CDT

Post by KA2CDT »

"It sure beats driving to hamfest, putting up with some of the rude, smelly CBers and CBers "upgraded to no code only to get quoted prices for broken down junk that are often at or above Ebay prices ."

Its so true!! I love it! :D
Oldschool-Hams Helping Hams
Ronald G. DeAngelis KA2CDT
Marco Island,Florida 34145
25.95°N 81.72°W
www.KA2CDT.com
W8UAB

Post by W8UAB »

[quote="KG8LB"]... putting up with some of the rude, smelly CBers and CBers "upgraded to no code...[/quote]

Hey, I resemble that remark...