WB8USA - Three Different Names?

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
kd4e

WB8USA - Three Different Names?

Post by kd4e »

When I do a search on the Internet for WB8USA I get:

Joe Bell See: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GRARA/message/76?l=1

John Lancan See: http://www.mylife.com/johnlancon

John T Shelton

Of the three the latter agrees with the FCC/QRZ/QTH databases.

Are the references of the others to WB8USA a result of the rapid re-cycling of callsigns by the FCC, or may something else be happening out there?

73, doc KD4E
K9XR

Post by K9XR »

Not too many years ago you could have a pretty good idea of where someone was from and about how long someone has been a ham. Now with the Vanity Call Sign System you go on these forums and see somebody with a 1X2 Call asking how to build a simple dipole. You may look him up and find that he is a W6 that is living in Maine. It has a tendency to make you scratch your head at times.
K4JC

Post by K4JC »

According to www.vanityhq.com, WB8USA belonged to Mary E. Deady of Port Charlotte, FL, from before 1981 until the license expired on 5/5/97. It was next assigned to John T. Shelton of Blue Ash, OH, sometime in 2004. I suspect the other names associated with that call sign are typos.
kd4e

Post by kd4e »

K4JC wrote:According to www.vanityhq.com, WB8USA belonged to Mary E. Deady of Port Charlotte, FL, from before 1981 until the license expired on 5/5/97. It was next assigned to John T. Shelton of Blue Ash, OH, sometime in 2004. I suspect the other names associated with that call sign are typos.
That's who he said he was - but now he seems to have "disappeared" 2 weeks after promising to re-ship something that had been "returned due to his labeling error".

After losing $480. to a Ham amp thief in Ohio a couple of years ago I get real nervous about guys with lots of excuses for not shipping in a timely manner.
K0RS

Post by K0RS »

This guy called me four times and emailed me three times wanting to buy a key I had advertized. Then he wanted to buy two keys. Then reneged and wanted only one. He asked for my PayPal address, then declined to pay via PayPal and said he would send a money order.

A week and a half and nada. I emailed him to see what was up. He claimed to be "out of town on business," and that his wife was supposed to have taken care of it. Three more days and still nothing. I emailed again, but he quit responding to my emails.

I would approach this guy with extreme caution. For me he is a non-paying buyer. At least I didn't send him anything.

Good luck in your dealings,

Larry, K0RS
W4AIN

Re: WB8USA - Three Different Names?

Post by W4AIN »

kd4e wrote:When I do a search on the Internet for WB8USA I get:

Joe Bell See: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GRARA/message/76?l=1

John Lancan See: http://www.mylife.com/johnlancon

John T Shelton

Of the three the latter agrees with the FCC/QRZ/QTH databases.

Are the references of the others to WB8USA a result of the rapid re-cycling of callsigns by the FCC, or may something else be happening out there?

73, doc KD4E

Joe Bell holds the callsign of WD8USA, so the hit there was a typo on the posters part.
John T Shelton is the true WB8USA.
Phil - W4AIN
On The Air Communications
www.w4ain.com
N8ERM

John T Shelton is the true WB8USA.

Post by N8ERM »

That is correct,. John T Shelton is the true WB8USA.. I just received some gear from John. Great deal and does he know how to pack for safe shipping.
Thanks,
John,
Terry N8ERM
w0bkr

Re: WB8USA - Three Different Names?

Post by w0bkr »

But why does he use WA6MGW email signed Bill and the AZ address isn't Ohio or the op that owns that call?>>