k0ivk

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
N5IZ

k0ivk

Post by N5IZ »

i purchase a 2m amp from joe hill k0ivk.and when i hooked it up and keyed the radio it keyed up and put out full power.but when i unkeyed the radio the amp stayed key up.had to shut amp off to get it to unkey.it does it on ssb and fm.i email him and told him about it .he said i 'm not suppose to use a kenwood tr 9130 on it.WHAT>as long as its 5watts out i dont see why i can't.so he said it worked good.he said i missed it up.now he say no refund.so i'm stuck with a amp i have to get repaired..oh well.

73 ray n5iz
N8ERM

amp

Post by N8ERM »

Ray, if it is mirage remove the relay clean and burnish the relay with 600 grit sand paper and give it a try. If that does not work call the co and replace the relay.
Good luck with your repair.
Terry N8ERM
k0ivk

Post by k0ivk »

Ray,
I'm very sorry you damaged the amplifier. I feel it was an honest mistake you made. I can tell from your emails you actually believed your TR-9130 had 5 watts output in all modes on the low power position. The fact is the manual clearly states the low power position doesn't change the output on SSB, it's still 25+ watts. That is over 3 times the maximum allowable 8 watts input to the amplifier. You made a mistake but don't try to blame me for that. If I had known you were going to use it with a TR-9130, I would not have sold it to you. I know its specifications, I own one myself. What puzzles me is when you emailed me to tell me what the amplifier was doing, you said, "i'm driving it with 8 watts." If you thought your 9130 was 5 watts out why did you say 8 watts? Then you said you 'cut it back to 3 watts', but the output on the 9130 isn't adjustable, it only has a high and low setting. It appears to me, you discovered you had over driven it and was trying to deceive me, by telling me you drove it with the 8 watt top limit max drive. You say the amplifier output is still OK, so it may not be too badly damaged, but don't expect me to take it back after it's damaged. The amplifier was in use here right up till I sold it to you and was working properly when it left.
Joe k0ivk
N5IZ

amp

Post by N5IZ »

joe i know my radio and it was 5w output..i've used amps before.the amp was'nt working sure it output was ok.it just was'nt unkeying .had to shut amp off.anyway its gone to repair shop.i know one thing you want get my busniss no more..i can't say for others..
73 ray n5iz
wx1f

Re: amp

Post by wx1f »

N5IZ wrote:joe i know my radio and it was 5w output..i've used amps before.the amp was'nt working sure it output was ok.it just was'nt unkeying .had to shut amp off.anyway its gone to repair shop.i know one thing you want get my busniss no more..i can't say for others..
73 ray n5iz
Normal Tx power on SSB is 25w. This is not adjustable with the High/Low switch. FM is adjustable 25w or 5w.
To make SSB adjustable you need to cut the red/white wire on Pin 1 connector J33 on the Rx board. The relay issue is YOUR fault. Not the seller!! :roll:
N5IZ

amp

Post by N5IZ »

i did cut red/white wire in tr 9130 and adjust the watts to 5w.i know about amp.not to drive with to many watts....the repair shop call me and said its the switching diodes.

73 ray n5iz
N5IZ

tucker 2m amp

Post by N5IZ »

well to follow up on repair of amp just picked up amp and the cost was parts $4..labor was $20.so not a bad deal.now have a working amp..does what it suppose to do..yes i'm happy...........73 ray n5iz