Greg Mijal WA7LYO ... irresponsible

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
wb2imh

Greg Mijal WA7LYO ... irresponsible

Post by wb2imh »

On March 15, 2010 I made a deal with Greg Mijal WA7LYO for a Hallicrafters S 36 I paid his full asking price and included a partial shipping cost with the balance of his shipping cost to be determined after he shipped. He shipped promptly after my check cleared and I received the radio in about 10 days. When the radio was unpacked, there was considerable damage to the front panel, including a broken S meter and tuning bezel. I immediately contacted Greg by e-mail to report the damage and asked him to contact me so that we could make a claim to UPS. I did not hear from him so I sent 6 more e-mails over the past two weeks ... still nothing. Does anyone know Greg? All I wanted from him was to make a claim with UPS. But I think he knows that he did a poor packing job and that UPS will deny the claim. If I had been home to accept delivery, I would have made a claim on the spot. It was obvious from looking at the box that most likely there was damage to the contents. Any suggestions? I did have his phone number but that is the one e-mail from him (before the sale) that I can't find.
wb2imh

Greg Mijal WA7LYO ... still waiting ....

Post by wb2imh »

Since posting my comments on my deal with Greg Mijal WA7LYO, I was able to find his phone number. I called the number that he gave me and left three messages on three different days. I explained the situation concerning the damage to the receiver and asked Greg to either call me back or send me an e-mail. It has been five days since my last phone call to him and I have not received a reply. Meanwhile, the radio and packing material are still sitting here waiting for Greg to step up to the plate and do the right thing. UPS refuses to do anything until the shipper contacts them. Any ideas?
kg8lb

Post by kg8lb »

Hate to say it but your options are very limited.

As you said it was poorly packed and in any event, the seller is required to file the claim .
I had a silmilar situation with N3DG who sold on ebay under the title "Pennradio" among others.
By far the worst packing job I have ever seen and damaged goods. His reply was for me to file a claim..that was the end of the story as far as Dennis Gazak was concerned. As you already said poorly packed means no recovery and the seller has to initiate the claim anyhow.
Luckily I had paid with Paypal and they got my money back for me.
Funny thing, the day Dennis received the damaged power supply it was re-listed , using the same old ad from ebay along with the original photos of the non damaged item ! Some time after that , the same power supply turned up for sale on ebay from a ham in Michigan. I contacted him and compared notes,sure enough it was the same item. The buyer said he thought it had been damaged en-route to him. The new owner also stated that Dave made an offer to compensate him in return for favorable feedback. It appears feedback was left but the compensation never arrived.
Armed with the new information the new owner reported the situation to Paypal and Paypal came through for him as well.

There may be a lot of people trashing Paypal but Paypal does indeed expand your options and improve your odds when a bad actor makes his rounds. You can always rely on luck (Some people think they are good at judging the person they are dealing with...Still more luck than anything. ) Or you can opt for some very good protection. Paypal works well indeed in most cases for honest people.
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

Pay pal came through for me when i got scammed. Hopefully you paid that way. I know money is tight for some but dishonesty is never a excuse.Good Luck...
Larry Huff K0pd
wb2imh

Greg Mijal ... tracking him down

Post by wb2imh »

Unfortunately, I didn't use PayPal since the seller did not accept it for this purchase. Now I understand why. I did a search and found an ad he placed in January through his radio club. I sent a request for information to the club director and now we'll see what happens. I also found that the rectifier tube was removed and missing. And the toggle switch next to the rectifier socket was set to 220 V. Greg told me before the sale that he used the radio everyday in his office and that it worked properly and that he was able to listen to the local airfield. That's some trick without a rectifier tube!!! He can clear this all up with just a simple reply to my e-mails but I don't think that is going to happen.