BAD EXPERIENCE DEALING WITH KDØPD

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
w8icy

BAD EXPERIENCE DEALING WITH KDØPD

Post by w8icy »

BEWARE WHEN DEALING WITH KDØPD

On 12/16/03, I purchased an Ameritron AL-80 amplifier from Jerry Wells, KDØPD for $485.00 plus 65.00 for packing and shipping. Jerry advertised it on QTH.com as being "absolutely perfect and in mint condition." It arrived via FedEx on 12/19/03 with shipping damage and I also found other problems with the amp.

I e-mailed Jerry that I was disappointed in the amplifier. He offered to take the amplifier back and refund my full payment and any incidental expenses. I agreed to his proposal.

I rewrapped the amplifier and tube in the packaging it arrived in. FedEx accepted the amplifier as a damage return and I mailed the 3-500Z and insured it for $100.00 which he directed me to do.

On 12/26/03, Jerry e-mailed me that the tube had arrived damaged and that he was returning it to me so that I could file a damage claim. He also e-mailed that he was able to purchase another tube for $150.00.

Jerry then e-mailed me that the amplifier had been damaged further in its return trip. He thought that I should pay for the damage. I told him that since the amplifier was a damage return that was between him and FedEx. I offered to pay ½ of the replacement cost of the tube just to settle the matter. He refused and offered me $400.00 to settle the matter instead of returning the $550 as he promised.. I accepted his offer but my comments in my reply must have made him angry. He wrote back he was charging me $270 which was $150 for the tube, $20 for travel to buy the tube, $65 for packaging and shipping of the amplifier and $35 for shipping damage!

I collected $100 from FedEx for the damaged tube on February 21, 2004 but I have never received any refund from Jerry Wells in spite of many e-mails to him which he never replied to. I also called him several times and he was very abusive and abrupt and non-committal about returning my money as he had promised. I sent him a certified letter on March 6, 2004 asking for a refund of my money and he never responded to it.

I know he has his side of the story, but I’ve saved all of the e-mails and will share them with anyone contemplating dealing with this guy and you decide. I’d also like to know if there is any action I can take on this matter.