KC8RCV - Brian Shady Character Beware!

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
N8QGC

KC8RCV - Brian Shady Character Beware!

Post by N8QGC »

Warning all:

On Thursday February 26, 2004 I responded to an Ad from KC8RCV Brian for a Kenwood TM-G707a We exchanged emails and I agreed to send him $175.00 via Postal Money order.

I sent it on Monday March 1, 2004. Well here we are Thursday March 11, 2004 and he won't return my email inquires. I should have known better when the address he wanted it sent to didn't match his QRZ.COM address. The address was in the same city just a different street.

Always trust your gut! Had I trusted mine I'd not be out $175.00 right now. Ohio hams hassle the crap out of this guy for me if you can he's in Columbus.

Here's the address he had me send my money to:

Brian Kress
284 Oxley rd
Columbus,OH 43228

QRZ.COM says this:

Brian D Kress
465 Benns Road
Columbus OH 43204

73 to all and avoid this creep he gives hams a bad name.

John N8QGC
KW7DSP

If it seems to be too good to be true .................

Post by KW7DSP »

With a list price of $429.95 there was a clue here someplace. Anytime something is offered for less the half price, an alarm bell should be going off. A lot of Amateur gear tends to sell for more then the original selling price, not less.

If it seems too good to be true, then it most likely is. Sellers depend on greed when they advertise nonexistant equipment for very low prices. It doesn't matter to them as they never had any intention of shipping it anyway.
KW7DSP
WPSL211
N8QGC

RE: if it seems to good to be true!

Post by N8QGC »

I accept criticizism pretty well. I agree with you statement except that the list price of a brand new Kenwood TM-G707a is $269.99 according to my Fall/Winter 2003 AES catalog. I just don't want to seem like more of a fool then I am but clearly you can see that his asking price was much closer then the gap you indicated. Where are you shopping?

73 de John N8QGC