KJ5CO

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
w8icy

KJ5CO

Post by w8icy »

In early December, I purchased a used Alinco EDX-2 automatic tuner from KJ5CO which he advertised “like new” on QTH.com. When I received it it physically appeared to be in good condition but I would have not classed it “as new”. I connected it up on a dummy load to test its function. I have previously owned Icom and Alinco tuners and that is how I have tested them. I informed the seller that the tuner appeared not to function properly (It would not tune the dummy load).

His response was that Alinco cautions users to make sure that a good ground is used or damage will result. He also stated the tuner was tested and worked before he sent it. Because he cannot control how it is used, he wrote that it is my problem and he will not take it back.

I checked with Burghardt Amateur Center who is an authorized Alinco repair center and they confirmed that they connect automatic tuners to dummy loads to test their function and there is no way the tuner could be damaged by doing that.

If we are both telling the truth….i.e. the tuner worked before he sent it and the tuner did not work when I received it; I believe he should still do the honorable thing and take it back and refund my money since I did nothing to harm it.

His final e-mail to me was “don’t ever respond to another one of my ads.” I will take his advice.

Since this forum is to report transactions where one party is not satisfied, I am reporting my experience.

My advice to potential buyers of items KJ5CO sells is “caveat emptor”.
Kurt - K8YZK

Post by Kurt - K8YZK »

Wow, I almost trade for this tuner and the DX-70TH he has for sale. Sorry it happened to you, but glad I changed my mind.

Kurt