KM4OP (Philip Rivera) You Decide

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
N8ERM

Post by N8ERM »

When I sell something I keep the money until I have received an email or phone call saying the person that I sold to is happy/satisfied. If I have not received an email/phone call in one week I will contact them. This is not tooting my own horn, it is like most others that deal on this site. Just be fair,
it really is the easiest way.

If you don't have the $ make arraignments with the buyer to pay it back.

Phil and I have had deals in the past and I have been happy. Having said that advertising this rig as near mint is not keeping tradition with this site. Every one makes a mistake once in a while but this deal goes way farther. Phil I am asking you to look at the rig on his site and do the right thing.

Remember to play nice, this is a great hobby.
Terry N8ERM
w8jn

n8erm

Post by w8jn »

terry, as usual you are the voice of reason hihi. you mean , you hold the check out or dont spend the money until the buyer lets you know all is ok! you know i do the same. its much easier to return a pmo or a swapped rig rather than spend it and scramble for the cash if the deal goes bad.
best 73 paul w8jn
VE2AMN

Post by VE2AMN »

Same here.
Everytime I have sold something, always on QTH.COM, I held the PMO until I received a email from the buyer telling me everything is fine.
Seems logical to me.
Gilles, in the great white north..
KB4YQT

OUT OF CHARACTOR??

Post by KB4YQT »

Hello All,

Ran across this post, I have had a number of deals with Phil, all were great. I purchased 2 amps one vhf and uhf 1kw amps, still using these amps. also about one year ago got a icom allmode vhf rig.

Last time I dealt with him was at a gun show where he sold me some parts for my 1911, same pistol he had done a trigger and ramp job on. good work. That is why I say it seems out of charactor, but I hope whatever the case it gets worked out. If we can't trust each other it's a lost cause.

73 All

William KB4YQT
w8jn

read the first post

Post by w8jn »

hi bill,
i appreciate the fact that you have had good dealings with phil. the proof is in the pudding. read richards first post and click on the link to his web site. see the pictures of the rig phil sold richard and keep in mind he described it as near mint. scratches, cracks gouges, rust marks, damaged speaker. bend control head mount and on and on... judge for yourself.
best 73 paul w8jn
k4kk

Post by k4kk »

I think any posts of support or of damnation are off base right now. If Phil comes through with the $300 I would consider that a real effort and satisfaction attempt. It really doesn't matter when the money was spent. If it was spent upon receipt, so be it. That was his right. I know that when I sell a radio, amp, etc, I usually have a target in mind where I will spend the money. Often I save up and need that extra push to go out and buy it so I sell something. If I wasn't wanting to spend it, I probably wouldn't be selling it. Many of us are not independently wealthy. Although it is an aging hobby (sad but true), a large percentage of us still work for a living and don't have a lot of discretionary money laying around out of sight from the spousal units. The radio in question seems to be worth at least $350. Heck, it may be worth the $650 but it was NOT in the condition described. I have a friend (he posts here) that recently sold a radio that was struck by lightning. He listed it as such plainly and got far more than I would have expected. Value and price are not always the same numbers and it depends on seller and buyer.
w8jn

close, but no cigar

Post by w8jn »

you are off the mark. when i buy or sell, i expect to receive exactly as described. i do not expect to spend the next month negotiating with a dishonest seller over "how much of a rebate" i should receive. i dont want to hear his sad story about how he spent my money and now i have to get some money back. this is real simple. if a buyer emails me and is not satisfied, i send his money back. i speak my piece and dont soft sell anything to spare feelings. some people swear at me and some people swear by me, but everyone knows that they will get an honest deal from me. my long term reputation as a hoss trader is worth more to me than $2000 or $3000.
best 73 paul w8jn
w8jn

k4kk close, but no cigar

Post by w8jn »

ed, you are off the mark. when i buy or sell, i expect to receive exactly as described. i do not expect to spend the next month negotiating with a dishonest seller over "how much of a rebate" i should receive. i dont want to hear his sad story about how he spent my money and now i have to get some money back. this is real simple. if a buyer emails me and is not satisfied, i send his money back. i speak my piece and dont soft sell anything to spare feelings. some people swear at me and some people swear by me, but everyone knows that they will get an honest deal from me. my long term reputation as a hoss trader is worth more to me than $2000 or $3000. ed did you look at richards web site and the pictures of phils rig? this is not a simple matter of "difference of opinion" this is paying for a rolls royce and receiving a rusted out beat up yugo. gross misrepresentation.!!
best 73 paul w8jn
N5OU

Off the Mark

Post by N5OU »

I agree with Paul that those remarks simply do not fit. While I am by no-means wealthy, I was raised to believe that you always take care of your obligations first. You also represent yourself honestly. Advertising something for sale here on QTH is an extension of who and what you are. Mis-representing something because you need the money "right now", but will make it good at a later date can in no way be construed a morally or ethically correct. If you take the time to read the email thread, you will note that Philip refused to refund from the very start. Only after being banned from QTH and QRZ did he become receptive to a partial refund. I accepted his offer of a partial refund after verifying that he was absolutely refusing to refund the full purchase price.

I also want to take the opportunity to share with the 100's of people that have PM'd me with suggestions of what to do with the radio. The radio will be DONATED to the Killeen Independent School System ( Harker Heights High School) amateur radio club. I have found a truly mint 706mkIIG to purchase. Prior to the donation, we are replacing the top cover and speaker.

Thank you to everyone who has the courage to post their opinions whether supportive of my position or not.
73's Richard N5OU
Kurt - K8YZK

Mint abuse

Post by Kurt - K8YZK »

After looking at the photo's I have to agree that it is not mint. I also think someone saying a radio is Mint and years old is inaccurate. I try to tell exactly what a radio looks like when I put one up for sale, and one reason I perfer face-to-face trades/sales, so both parties see what they are getting. I also give a week return policy as long as it is returned as it was when we traded.

With this one, I guess it comes to buyer beware. As others have said Refund the money. Another one to add to the do not buy from list.

Kurt
w8jn

phil its looking bad!!!!

Post by w8jn »

phil,
between qth.com and qrz.com (and all the other websites, my pals and i have reposted all these comments, more than 7000 hams have read your story. the only way you can salvage your reputation is to give richard a full refund. you can get on the internet and proudly proclaim, "you stepped up to the plate and did the right thing" people would then forgive you. everyone makes mistakes. we are judged by how we fix our mistakes. to this point, you have done nothing and promised to "do a half fast repair job" do you think anyone will want to get involved in a trade with you knowing that it may require weeks of aggravation and countless hours in front of a computer?
c'mon phil, man up and send richard a full refund!
yer good pal paul w8jn
N5OU

UPDATE

Post by N5OU »

I received a money order today from Philip Rivera for $300. This is after a final verification that he would not issue a full refund.
I am now moving on and am ordering the top cover and speaker so as to donate the radio.
I consider this matter closed, however; in no way do I feel that this started or ended as an "honest deal". I do feel that Philip made an attempted at restitution but only after this community of HAMS applied pressure on him to do so. I certainly would never trade with him again, everyone else can decide for themselves.
73's Richard N5OU
KB2VYZ

Post by KB2VYZ »

Nothing like a little pressure.
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!! They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa!!! To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time...
w8jn

are we there yet?

Post by w8jn »

phil, you send richard $300 which means he will not lose any $$$. however you left him with a headache and "i will never deal with him again" attitude. i will never deal with you and the 7000 or so hams who have read this saga all over the internet will never deal with you. you should seriously consider sending him the rest of his purchase price and then you will have redeemed yourself! think about it. you did just enough to move out of the "crook and fraud" catagory, and have moved into the untrustworthy pain in the asp catagory. certainly not someone i would deal with.
happy hoss trading paul w8jn
KB4YQT

worked it out...

Post by KB4YQT »

Good to see it got worked out, Like in many cases like this not all parties walk away happy, but, when a settlement is reached it gives some sense of closure, and then all can move on.

I am hopeful that Phil has taken away some renew values. I am sure he knows where he went wrong, so I won't bring them up anymore.

As for Richard, You Did what you had to do, and showed all of us how to handle something like this without going overboard.

William KB4YQT
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

Well i think we've all piled on Phil enough as i'm certain he got the message and the buyer seems satisfied. But like Paul said as i can't speak for no one else but i seriously doubt i would deal with Phil for the time being.As i usually never say never as i've had to eat those words too often.
Larry Huff K0pd
w8jn

????

Post by w8jn »

phil,
one final question??? was all of this worth it for a "quick $650?" now $350 and the damage to your reputation?
best 73 and happy hoss trading if you can find anyone to deal with you.
wx1f

Post by wx1f »

There are hundreds of hams that look on here to buy and sell that don't even know about the feedback section. Plus...there's always Fleece-you-Bay to fall back on...so Phil will find other ways to sell his "stuff". :twisted:
N8ERM

Read the information before your eyes.

Post by N8ERM »

BEFORE GOING ANY FURTHER, you are highly encouraged to:
1) Read our Safe Trading Tips at http://tips.qth.com.
2) Check our Feedback Forum at http://feedback.qth.com to see if the person you are about to deal with has any good or bad feedback from previous dealings.
This information is available on every answered email and should be followed without question. Go to google too. Check, check em out and check them over and over.
Good trading/buying and selling. Do your homework and have fun.
Terry N8ERM
aa2oj

Post by aa2oj »

Dear fellow ham read my add under KD5UDE- I did not even get my radio maybe these two guys are related - Sorry about that crook taken you - AA2OJ
N4JRR

KM4OP now selling as W4XYL

Post by N4JRR »

There is a Yaesu FT-101F for sale on QRZ.COM and QTH.COM. It obviously is the same radio. On QRZ.COM the seller is KM4OP. On QTH.COM the seller is W4XYL. Both sellers have the same address and last name.
KB4YQT

SO WHAT LIFE GOES ON!!

Post by KB4YQT »

SO WHAT, LET IT GO ALREADY...

KB4YQT
W5YMB

KM4OP (Phil Rivera)

Post by W5YMB »

Don't " Let it go, already " . . .

W4XYL is, apparently, the wife or daughter of KM4OP ?

Draw your own conclusions . . .
K9XR

Re: KM4OP (Phil Rivera)

Post by K9XR »

Yeah, bbbbbuuutt KB4YQT bought a SIGNAL-ONE 1030 from him and was very happy? This gets better all the time.

W5YMB wrote:Don't " Let it go, already " . . .

W4XYL is, apparently, the wife or daughter of KM4OP ?

Draw your own conclusions . . .
KB4YQT

I NEVER HAD A PROBLEM...

Post by KB4YQT »

I have brought, a few items from Phil, all high dollar items , 2 COMMANDER AMPS, a very nice 1911 PISTOL (AT GUN SHOW) and this past weekend a SIGNAL ONE MILSPEC 1030C which I picked up at the Orlando hamfest, I had send him the money before hand via paypal. all in nice shape.. and as posted.

I also know he has sold a ALPHA 87a AMP here on QTH with no problem another high dollar item and a FT-736R to Adam, which I wanted but he beat me to it.

He did have one transaction that went bad , but it was SETTLED and that is all that matters. now people have a choice to deal with him or not.

you always hear about the bad, but there is some good, I am sure if all the folks that had good dealings with Phil would post it here it will take up ALOT of space. I would buy from him again no problem.

KB4YQT Bill