food for thought- ? a deal ? not

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
n2gbt

food for thought- ? a deal ? not

Post by n2gbt »

Recently told a seller here I would buy his Kenwood TS2000 for 750 plus shipping.

Was sent a paypal addres in australia- aked why the paypal is out of the country- no reply.

Asked for a paypal invoice- received an email for 795.00 shipped.
Asked again for a paypal invoice- received the same email back- then nothing.

Ive been horsetrading a LONG time and wonder how people here on QTH handle these situations- alot of sales here do NOT take paypal and want a MO-- I am more confident if I can at least use paypal and see the seller has been with them awhile- or is a verified member-

I eventually elected NOT to send the paypal to Australia- just curious how confident folks are on QTH when they have to send a MO etc
Joe N2GBT
W3WN

Re: food for thought- ? a deal ? not

Post by W3WN »

Well Joe,

In this case, the impression I get is that the other induhvidual was essentially saying "$795 including shipping, my way as per the invoice, take it or leave it."

If you are not comfortable with those terms, and if I were in your shoes right now I wouldn't be, tell him you're no longer interested & walk away.

This is not to say that there's anything wrong with the deal per se, but any transaction that doesn't leave both parties somewhat satisfied with the outcome is rarely a good one.

The seller has his/her reasons. They are probably legit, but who knows?

Now, if the seller responds to your declination with an offer to reopen negotiations, and you can still work something out, great. If they continue to ignore you... and for all you know they have another potential buyer on the hook out there, and only want to reel in one fish at a time... write them off as a learning experience and move on.

It's not like the TS-2000 is exactly rare. Another will turn up.

N4ATS

Post by N4ATS »

First mistake , entertaining an offer of $795 for a TS-2000 , I would doubt you can get it that cheap unless it is trashed.
73's from:
N4ATS
18.133 Mhz.
www.n4ats.com
K9XR

Post by K9XR »

N4ATS wrote:First mistake , entertaining an offer of $795 for a TS-2000 , I would doubt you can get it that cheap unless it is trashed.
Actually the guy was a scammer from australia who was using calls of several US stations here on QTH. I tried to buy that TS-2000 also and saw the live.com.au email and was concerned right away. I hecked his paypal account and he did have a valid paypal personal account. I'm not so sure that getting a paypal invoice would have made much of a difference in this case, I'm pretty sure his account will be dead as soon as he gutted the miney from it.
n2gbt

had a feeling

Post by n2gbt »

thanks- I had that gut feeling- its hard to separate a good deal from a scam sometimes-

I wonder if he ended up catching some poor Ham from this site on that purchase- I know he mentioned he had several inquiries- really sad
Joe N2GBT