Don't Deal with W9SUN

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
kd8bbk

Don't Deal with W9SUN

Post by kd8bbk »

Hello, Well just recently purchased a Icom 718 from w9sun and not happy with results. Took 3 weeks to get the radio after he cashed the postal money order. The worse part is as follows.
1) Add said item would be double boxed, was not double boxed!

2) Add stated radio came with owners manual, received no manual!

3) Asked via e-mail if the rig had a cw filter in it, He stated that the radio had a 500hz cw filter in it, geuss what no filter at all in it.

I have tried to work this out with him but won't respond to any of my e-mails or phone calls. I needed a radio with a cw filter in it as I only work cw. This radio is of no use to me the way it is, now need to spend more money to get filter.

I won't deal with this person anymore. Beware!!!!!!!!! My first QTH purchase, WOW. :(
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

Sorry to hear things were not expected and your first buy on QTH. Sadly just mark it up to experience and maybe you will find a CW filter at a reasonable price.The Manual you can Copy from the internet .You might check with MODs DK or icoms site. Yrs ago when i first started getting into ham and was hanging around radio stores drooling over the equipment and attending a couple of ham fest later on a kindly Ham took me to the side and told me to be wary of claims sellers were making about there Equipment as many of the old Hams were really slick old traders that you needed to be really careful dealing with. So thank you about sharing your unfortunate experience. But i'm equally sure W9SUN has his side to tell also which should be heard.
Larry Huff K0pd
N9LCD

Post by N9LCD »

LARRY:

AMEN!

I got into amateur radio through SWL'ing in the '80's and, if you weren't geriatric, you were fair game for all the OF's at a Fest.

JERRY

N9LCD
w0bkr

1975?

Post by w0bkr »

Funny, didn't know having a BD of 1975 qualified as OF these days...Hi :roll:
W1JCW

Shady Dealer liar W9SUN

Post by W1JCW »

kd8bbk wrote:Hello, Well just recently purchased a Icom 718 from w9sun and not happy with results. Took 3 weeks to get the radio after he cashed the postal money order. The worse part is as follows.
1) Add said item would be double boxed, was not double boxed!

2) Add stated radio came with owners manual, received no manual!

3) Asked via e-mail if the rig had a cw filter in it, He stated that the radio had a 500hz cw filter in it, geuss what no filter at all in it.

I have tried to work this out with him but won't respond to any of my e-mails or phone calls. I needed a radio with a cw filter in it as I only work cw. This radio is of no use to me the way it is, now need to spend more money to get filter.

I won't deal with this person anymore. Beware!!!!!!!!! My first QTH purchase, WOW. :(
The guy sounds like a real piece of crap !

Specifically when you asked about the filter. He did lie about three points of the sale. The other guy is correct about down loading a manual online but hey the filter is a physical part you wanted.

I would put a WTB add on here that you are looking for the filter.

What is his phone # post it here ??

I would send him a nice letter in the mail telling him what you think of him, contact his neighbors too. This will embarrass him. Next time he wont take advantage of a new ham.

Good luck
73 -

W1JCW
John
N9LCD

Post by N9LCD »

I'd be VERY RELUCTANT To contact W9SUN's neighbors.

You MAY BE leaving yourself open for a lawsuit alleging libel, slander, and harassment.

Contacting neighbors isn't the same as posting in a forum!

BE CAREFUL!

JERRY

N9LCD

PS: This IS NOT a defense of W9SUN; it's intended as a call for caution and thought!
w8jn

it could be worse

Post by w8jn »

anthony,
its annoying to not receive what you paid for. there are worse outcomes. it appears the rig arrived safe and sound without a filter and manual. manual is a free download and the filter is $45. i would not deal with him again however you could have received a crushed rig and no recourse.
happy hoss trading paul w8jn
W4LTD

Post by W4LTD »

I have a .zip file of the IC-718 user manual -- ready to send to you via e-mail.

Let me know if you'd like it...