Bad buyer

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
WB8JBG

Bad buyer

Post by WB8JBG »

Wa2ac is not a trust worthy buyer. I had a TenTec 560 that he said he would buy and would send the money the same day. I then get an Email saying he wasn't going to buy it because I had listed it on Ebay also. Really don't know what that had to do with anything.[/b]
radiotech

Post by radiotech »

If anyone in this tale that you are spinning is not trustworthy it is obviously you. Maybe if you had removed your eBay listing you would have gotten a check from WA2AC. How many other sites did you have this listed on? I hope this item was as advertised. It seems that you were trying to get rid of it anyway and as quickly as you could. In the future you might want to pause and think before you make judgements about other folks. One last thing: trustworthy is just that : one word!
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

I do not know if the one complaining had done what i see done a lot on E Bay and that is they will make a notation that the Radio or what ever it is there selling that the AD could end without notice as it is advertised elsewhere. So if not maybe next time he will do that.
Larry Huff K0pd
W4LTD

Post by W4LTD »

I wish people would stop complaining when they weren't defrauded of anything. This forum [should] be used solely for announcing problems with actual transactions, not transactions that never even took place... Imagine the gripes if they were trying to sell a car. =)
k5rk

Post by k5rk »

W4LTD wrote:I wish people would stop complaining when they weren't defrauded of anything. This forum [should] be used solely for announcing problems with actual transactions, not transactions that never even took place... Imagine the gripes if they were trying to sell a car. =)
And imagine if the Feds only worried about actual terrorism, not evidence that an act of terrorism was planned. It seems to me that:

(a) there are times -- and I'm not saying this case is one of them -- where there are warning signs that an individual is being deceptive even when a transaction has not been completed and this might be of interest to someone contemplating a deal with the individual. If someone is not interested in that information, they can move to the next thread

(b) there does not appear to be a specific rule requiring consumation of a deal before posting in this Forum.
nizac

WB8JBG

Post by nizac »

For some unknown reason WB8JBG feels that I should trust him when 6 hours after talking to him on the phone telling him I would buy his radio it is still listed on ebay with 4 bids on it.I promptly e-mailed him the same day and told him I would not buy his radio because of his e-bay listing[perhaps waiting for the higher price].At any rate this supposed transaction is based on faith I am sending someone I dont know money.If I feel that you are not honest or intelligent enough to remove your e-bay listing after my conversation with you it is my prerogative to negate the deal which is what I did [after contacting him].But to show you the integrity of this guy he e-mails me saying he heard New Yorkers are [ I kid you not ] .Looks like my intuition was correct.
VE3TMT

Post by VE3TMT »

Why do people list equipment for sale on this site when they have it listed on eBay as well.

One or the other!
Kurt - K8YZK

Post by Kurt - K8YZK »

I have to agree that it is not fraud, as you are not out anything. Now as him being unethical about it and waiting for a higher bid on ebay I have to agree he is xxxxx a for that.
Sounds like he was trying to squeeze out the most he could get for it, instead of following thru with your deal..
Wrong yes, illegal no, as nothing exchanged hands. You still have your money, he still has the radio.
KT
kg8lb

Post by kg8lb »

Nothing at all wrong with listing for sale on multiple sites, Nothing wrong with wating to cancel alternate listings until payment is confirmed.
Conversely there is really nothing wrong with the fellow changing his mind in a timely manner and sending a notice. Especially since the ads were still posted.
So far, no real harm done...

The only real foul is coming here to smear the person when there was in fact no real harm done.

BTW:

Expecting someone to cancel listings before payment is realized is unrealistic . When I list here on QRZ I post a "sale pending " notice and delete the ad when payment is confirmed.

It never fails to amaze me how the person complainimg loudest about a seller "trying to get all he can" for an item is invariably the same person who is trying to buy an item as cheaply as he can. Of course when the same person sells the item he bought so cheaply, he too trys to soak the market for all he can.
Beware especially of the "WTB" postings. All too often they have seen many postings for the items they desire. Fact is they don't really want to pay market price. What they are hoping for is an offer from an uninformed seller that is far below market price. Respond to them with a "what price range are you willing to pay?" and they can go ballistic on you!
Last edited by kg8lb on Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
wx1f

Post by wx1f »

KG8LB wrote:Nothing at all wrong with listing for sale on multiple sites, Nothing wrong with wating to cancel alternate listings until payment is confirmed.
Conversely there is really nothing wrong with the fellow changing his mind in a timely manner and sending a notice. Especially since the ads were still posted.
So far, no real harm done...

The only real foul is coming here to smear the person when there was in fact no real harm done.
So what happens if someone clicks Buy-It-Now on Ebay, AFTER a buyer sends a check from a QTH ad? On Ebay, you're committed by law to complete the transaction, once payment is made. So who's the greedy one in this situation? How about the seller who wants both ends in the middle!!
kg8lb

Post by kg8lb »

Are we assuming there was a buy it now? I would hope not. This may however be one of those times when Paypal helps the buyer.\

Any commitment to "law" on Ebay is pretty hard to enforce. Ebay however deals with sellers who fail to follow through. On the other hand winning bidders are well known for stiffing sellers as well. They too are presumed legally bound. More often than not a nonpaying bidder strike is about all they get. In fact Ebay limits the seller's ability to leave negative feedback for dead beats while the dead beat may leave nasty feedback for the seller that he stiffed ! Ebay also has provisions to mutually cancel a bis if both partys agree .

Paypal in my experience is a great tool that can protect the buyer and the seller. It also gives a buyer a means to make instant payment that may give him the edge in many situations .

Worst case scenario in the buy it now case (IF there WAS a BUY IY NOW) should be the person with the slowest payment method gets a refund,

Then again what happens when the seller cancels all ads and the buyer renigs, as they all too often do ? Renigging buyers often point to some made up problem with the seller as cover for their own change of heart.

Money talks BS walks.
wx1f

Post by wx1f »

Either post it on one site... or the other, but not both. By the way...when you stiff a buyer on Ebay, your account goes into limbo for a month. One more time and they cancel your account....and they know your IP address, so no trying to resign up under a different credit card, phone number and address. (unless you're a hacker and know how...in which case experienced Ebayers will not buy from someone with zero feedback).
kg8lb

Post by kg8lb »

That may be your rule.

People cross list items every day. The more fair folks will mention that the item is for sale in other venues. Cross listing is a common practice for selling anything fom cars to real estate. Usually first one to complete payment wins.

If cross listing is specifically prohibited at a certain site that is a different matter.

Ebay suspension of dealers who fail to follow through is very rare. I had a seller who got a better offer after the auction and sold elsewhere. I did report it but Ebay did nothing. There are plenty of feedback reportings of dealers failing to follow through. I have seen little done by Ebay to sanction those sellers. So long as I get a refund I just write it off as no big deal.
wx1f

Post by wx1f »

Ebay seems to treat high sales sellers with kid gloves. My complaints have also fallen on deaf ears. As for double posting....If I answer a QTH ad and the seller tells me they have posted on Ebay, I will not buy from them. PERIOD!
End of this subject.....
kg8lb

Post by kg8lb »

That is perfectly fair. The potential buyer is welcome to decide against buying for whatever reason he or she chooses.
Just as I would refuse to sell to certain individuals for whatever reasons, based on what I have seen them say or do perhaps or based on reports from sources I deem credible. Indeed I have canceled bids on ebay from potential buyers with questionable or low feedback numbers.

I would say the seller should reveal to the potential buyer early on that the item is cross listed and at that time they should agree as to who will prevail in the event of a subsequent offer before payment is consumated..
KH2RU

Post by KH2RU »

W4LTD wrote:I wish people would stop complaining when they weren't defrauded of anything. This forum [should] be used solely for announcing problems with actual transactions, not transactions that never even took place... Imagine the gripes if they were trying to sell a car. =)
KB3RPE

????

Post by KB3RPE »

?????????????????????????? Why are people Bi-----ng about nothing....no sale, no transaction occurred and there are "umpteen" posts about it...JUST MY @ CENTS....
Waste of time & bandwidth.......
w8jn

huh duhhhh ????

Post by w8jn »

Gary,
so its ok for you to waste bandwidth and post about worthless bitc..ing and wasting bandwidth??? huh... duhhhh, guess that makes you the bandwidth police. or is this an example of do as i say , not as i do.
kg4mlo

Re: huh duhhhh ????

Post by kg4mlo »

w8jn wrote:Gary,
so its ok for you to waste bandwidth and post about worthless bitc..ing and wasting bandwidth??? huh... duhhhh, guess that makes you the bandwidth police. or is this an example of do as i say , not as i do.
Ma...he's out of his cage again doing HIS usual worthless bi...ing bandwidth wasting thing.

Happy Donkey Swapping

har har har