Another scam attempt. This one from Leonardo Smith

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
K4ICL

Another scam attempt. This one from Leonardo Smith

Post by K4ICL »

Hello Dr. Al Link,

Thanks for your mail i want you to know that the price $725.00 is okay with me.Inrespect of payment i have a client in the U.S who is owing me $3,510. All i need to do to make payment easier and faster is to instruct him to issue a cashiers check and mail it to you on the address and name you want on the check and you know it takes 24hrs for a cashiers check to clear in the U.S. But i would want to know if i can trust you to send my balance to me via western union or money gram after the money must have cleared in your bank to enable me prepay the shipping company here so that they can instruct their office in the U.S to come for the pick-up from your location.pls mail me asap to enable me arrange payment.Furnish me with your name and address,so i will forward it to my client for payment. With Respect,Leonardo.
------------------
My response:

Mr. "Smith":

Ron White said it best. "Ya can't fix stupid." Your scam attempt has failed and will keep the fraud investigators busy for a while.

With NO respect for you,

K4ICL
w8jn

ooppsss

Post by w8jn »

al,
you did it backwards! these guys sit in a room with 100 other nigerians sweating in the heat with no a.c.(abc special report). when you blow them off, they go to the next name on the list of 500. if you play with them, you get them off track because they think they have a "live one" and now they start investing time with you. the best thing is to get them to send the "counterfeit" certified check and watch them try to intimidate you into sending money via western union. i have a drawer full of counterfeit checks sent to me overnight via fed ex from nigeria. must cost them $200 for each overnight shipment. its easy to scam them, because they are not anticipating it..... fun fun fun har har har
73 paul w8jn
K4ICL

I don't have the time.

Post by K4ICL »

I gave the would be scammer all of my time he is going to get. I have better things to do.

Thanks...

AL
NC5S

Post by NC5S »

I have a great amount of fun with these guys.

Once I get the e-mail asking "Is your item still available" I start the game with them.

After I've gotten the "I need to make the check for $1,000 more than your amount, please cash the check, keep $100 for your trouble, and wire the money to my mover.

I give them an un-deliverable address and watch the fun begin.

Sad part of it is. Someone in this country who has answered what they think is a legitimate "work from home" ad, is getting scammed as well and is actually losing money. But, Oh well.

Has anyone noticed that just about all of these scammers have a g-mail addy?
N0VPD

scams

Post by N0VPD »

i just counted all the scams i have received from my several email accounts. they totaL 325 emails. i cant write here what my answer to them is but its not nice. i think i will try what some have done and play their game and stick it to them. its s shame there are scammers on qth too. i guess they are everywhere. i would love to catch one in person, they wouldnt be able to write or walk for a very long time if ever again.
W1JCW

Post by W1JCW »

Just watch some court TV, retards on there get a check from someone then ask a relative or good friend to cash it as they have no credit or bank account. Then when the check bounces to the good friend or relative the party that asked the favor says that's your problem..AAAAHHHHH !!!

They go to one of the court shows and the stupidity glares...

I fall off the couch laughing as the judge explains over and over again, no you have to pay the person back that did you the favor because the check was no good. They argue all day long, why it's not my fault it was bogus !! As long as
they didn't get stuck and their friend or relative did...so what !!!

As dumb as they come...
73 -

W1JCW
John
wx1f

Re: scams

Post by wx1f »

N0VPD wrote:i just counted all the scams i have received from my several email accounts. they totaL 325 emails. i cant write here what my answer to them is but its not nice. i think i will try what some have done and play their game and stick it to them. its s shame there are scammers on qth too. i guess they are everywhere. i would love to catch one in person, they wouldnt be able to write or walk for a very long time if ever again.
"Leonardo" just contacted me this morning. It looks like I'll be having fun with another scammer for the next couple weeks.. heh heh heh !
KC8KZY

Re: scams

Post by KC8KZY »

wx1f wrote:
N0VPD wrote:i just counted all the scams i have received from my several email accounts. they totaL 325 emails. i cant write here what my answer to them is but its not nice. i think i will try what some have done and play their game and stick it to them. its s shame there are scammers on qth too. i guess they are everywhere. i would love to catch one in person, they wouldnt be able to write or walk for a very long time if ever again.
"Leonardo" just contacted me this morning. It looks like I'll be having fun with another scammer for the next couple weeks.. heh heh heh !
Same here. At least the radio club who's call he's bootlegging has posted a warning on their QRZ.com profile. Biggest tip-off was when he responded to an announcement I placed, asking final asking price and condition. :D

Tom
WA5JAV

Scam the Scammer

Post by WA5JAV »

Those of you considering Scam the Scammer can get some how-to leads here:

http://www.419eater.com/

Some of these plots against the scammers are a hoot.
hfradionut

Post by hfradionut »

he contacted me today.But iam not selling anything.was just checking on magazines!!!!

The response is from:

Name: Leonardo Smith
Callsign: GS3BSQ
E-mail: leonardosmith@live.com

The response is:

Please confirm availability,last asking price and present condition of this ad.
N0VPD

scam

Post by N0VPD »

i just got an email from this scumbag today. i am gonna play his game. what a moron.
Kurt - K8YZK

Post by Kurt - K8YZK »

I received a email from Mr. Smith also. I am waiting a reply and of course the check for a amount way larger then for the antenna that I am asking. I think I will take the check and frame it along side the 1 cent check I got years ago(1975) from Sears for overpayment.

KT
wa3hta

scammer name change

Post by wa3hta »

Name: robert rey
> Callsign: GS3BSQ
> E-mail: robertrey55@yahoo.com

he is interested in my ad so set up an aol email acct and answered
him, will attempt to play the game.

guess something happened to leonardo?
jim kw3u
localjunkpeddler

leonardo smith /robert rey

Post by localjunkpeddler »

I received offers from both guys in one day. One of the responses was for one of my " looking to buy " items. He wanted to know the "condition of the item" and my "last price". I told him $100.00...... haven't heard a reply, yet :lol:
wx1f

Re: leonardo smith /robert rey

Post by wx1f »

localjunkpeddler wrote:I received offers from both guys in one day. One of the responses was for one of my " looking to buy " items. He wanted to know the "condition of the item" and my "last price". I told him $100.00...... haven't heard a reply, yet :lol:
Damn!!! I think he read this forum!! He didn't reply. Too bad...so sad...
Lee Trout

Classic Cashier's check scam

Post by Lee Trout »

"GS3BSQ" is alive and well, but the name he used with me is: Robert Rey. Beware. (K9CM)
n3pkc

Really Bright

Post by n3pkc »

Hello Joe Jaffer,
Thanks for your mail i want you to know that the price $1300 is okay with me. In respect of payment i have a client in the U.S who owes me $3500. All i need to do to make payment easier and faster is to instruct him to issue a cashier check and mail it to you on the address and name you want on the check and you know it takes 24hrs for a cashiers check to clear in the U.S.
But i would want to know if i can trust you to send my balance to me via western union or money gram after the money must have cleared in your bank to enable me prepay the shipping company here so that they can instruct their office in the U.S to come for the pick-up from your location. Please mail me asap to enable me arrange payment. Furnish me with your name and address, so i will forward it to my client for payment.

With respect,
R.Rey.

--- On Thu, 8/13/09, Jaffer, Joseph H Mr CIV USA USAMC <joe> wrote:

Subject: Re: RE: QTH.COM Ad -- Kenwood TS-870S...
To: "robert rey" <robertrey55>
Date: Thursday, August 13, 2009, 11:16 AM

All the information in the ad is up to date.

Thanks,

Joe

----- Original Message -----
Date: Thursday, August 13, 2009 1:32
Subject: RE: QTH.COM Ad -- Kenwood TS-870S...
To: joe.jaffer@us.army.mil
Cc: robertrey55@yahoo.com

>
> Dear Joe Jaffer N3PKC,
>
> You have received a response to your ad, titled "Kenwood TS-870S",
> that you have running on the QTH.COM Free Ham Radio Classified Ads.
>
> The response is from:
>
> Name: robert rey
> Callsign: GS3BSQ
> E-mail: robertrey55@yahoo.com
>
> The response is:
>
> Please confirm availability,last asking price and present
> condition of this ad.
Joe Jaffer
N3PKC
http://ham.sytes.net
wx1f

Post by wx1f »

Play that guy like a big bass....it's sooo much fun!!!
ab7r

bogus address

Post by ab7r »

I like that idea of giving them a bogus address. But better yet, give them the address of the fraud department or the PM General....whoever handles these things. Let them send their check directly to them.

Greg
AB7R