Compaint on radio sol 2 months ago

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
kf4ets

Compaint on radio sol 2 months ago

Post by kf4ets »

On 5-26-09 I sold a radio listed on QTH today 7-28-09 I was contacted saying the radio don't work and wants me to refund money or have radio repaired. The radio work as new when I shipped it. I thinks something wrong with this claim and don't i should do either.
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

I think waiting two months sounds fishy to me.So i would not honor his request as he has had it for two months which tells me he wants you to fix his screw up.
Larry Huff K0pd
wx1f

Re: Compaint on radio sol 2 months ago

Post by wx1f »

kf4ets wrote:On 5-26-09 I sold a radio listed on QTH today 7-28-09 I was contacted saying the radio don't work and wants me to refund money or have radio repaired. The radio work as new when I shipped it. I thinks something wrong with this claim and don't i should do either.
With that much time lapse, you never know how your rig was treated......this happened to me!! Tell him to take a hike!!
Last edited by wx1f on Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
N4XTS

Re: Compaint on radio sol 2 months ago

Post by N4XTS »

kf4ets wrote:On 5-26-09 I sold a radio listed on QTH today 7-28-09 I was contacted saying the radio don't work and wants me to refund money or have radio repaired. The radio work as new when I shipped it. I thinks something wrong with this claim and don't i should do either.
Unless the item was sold with a warranty offered by the seller, the buyer will have to get the radio repaired at his/her own expense. Buyers must always do their research and ask if an item being sold on a forum, website, Ebay or at retail comes with a return/repair/refund policy and if so, what exactly that policy is.

Buyers should assume a USED item is AS-IS and pay accordingly UNLESS specifically stated in writing otherwise by the seller. I'm sorry but there is too much that can happen to a used electronic item in someones' hands for two months. Private sellers should not have the burden of providing 24/7 technical support and free repair on a used item, unless they offer it. Often times inexperienced users attempt to "self repair" and end up with a damaged item and somehow expect the seller is supposed to act like the factory depot and offer door-to-door service. If one wants this level of service, buy new, get an extended warranty and pay the price.

Reminds me of an Ebay sale where a buyer purchased a used factory car radio (stereo) from me on Sept 1, 2008. He leaves feedback two weeks later and all was well. Then he contacts me in December asking for a refund claiming the radio did not work when installed. When asked why he waited over 90 days to contact me, he offered the excuse that he was a used auto parts shop and did not sell it to a customer until later on.

I politely declined and said I am sorry, no warranty was offered but in good faith I would be glad to accept the item for a refund within 7-10 days but in three months anything could have happened to it and I am not the manufacturer of the item, and it was sold as a used part and being in the used auto parts business, he should have tested it when he received it not waited 3 months to claim it was broken. Most retail stores have 30 day return policies on NEW electronics (even less on cameras and computers due to "borrowing") so why this fool thinks I would take back a USED item months later just goes to show you the entitlement mentality alive and well in America.

I would tell the buyer, sorry to hear, but there is nothing I can do for you.
Amateur radio gets right through.
W3WN

Post by W3WN »

Something doesn't sound right here.

If the buyer waited 2 months to open and test the unit, that's his/her own fault.

Unless they offered an explanation as to why it sat for 2 months (if it did, which in and of itself I find suspect), you have no way of knowing what happened, when, where...

Look at it this way. You go to a garage sale, you see some tsotchke you want (say a hot air popcorn popper), pay a few bucks for it. If you didn't plug it in on the spot to see if it works, isn't one of the first things you do when you get home is to check it out? If you wait 2 months and then find it no longer works... do you think the seller will take it back?

I'd be polite about it, but no ifs, ands, or buts about it... it's not your problem.