WB2QWP

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
K3KLC

WB2QWP

Post by K3KLC »

This gentleman advertised an HT-37 and SX-111 for "sale or trade" on QTH.com. Upon contact he indicated that he would prefer to trade and was looking for solid state transceiver with digital frequency readout.

We agreed to a trade with the details left open ended. I would visit his shack , see his gear and he would see mine. We would then work out a trade that was totally fair (these were my rules). I spent almost $600 for a nice Corsair I and an ASTRON Metrered power supply. Then he sent me a unnecessarily nasty email backing out of the deal. I have 100% of the emails to back this up.

The bottom line is that I spent $600 on gear to trade to him and knowing that, he backed out. Yes I hadn't traveled to NJ, but I own a rig I would never have purchased. That may not be damage, but you have to admit it's "erksome"

Fellow hams, be careful when dealing with this gentleman.
Last edited by K3KLC on Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KE3GK

Changes mind ...

Post by KE3GK »

As human as this may sound ... we all have tendencies to change our minds.

Just be glad that you didn't travel all the way up to NJ to see his equipment and then have him change his mind.

Still, I don't see any loss here.
N3UX

Changes mind

Post by N3UX »

I disagree with the statement KE3GK made. How can there be no loss after someone went out of there way and purchased a rig for someone and now is stuck with it. You assume that K3KLC has a need for another rig but I assure you he doesn't. He got this rig from Tentec ready to go just for the purpose of this trade.

Secondly the person in question changed his mind a few times and once said he had sold the items to someone else. K3KLC told him that if the deal fell through he would make him a good offer. The items became available very quickly after. Sounds like he is running an auction to me.

Out of the blue this person sends K3KLC a insulting email which to go into the details would violate the forums rules.

I have known K3KLC for many years and I know he is a person of outstanding character. He is involved in his community and does animaI rescue work. I had been CC'd on many of the emails because I was to ride to NJ with him to make the trade. He did not deserve this treatment nor does anyone else. With my urging he made this post. I told him that he had a responsablity to protect others from this persons activities. The warning he posted is valid and is needed to protect this market place.

DE N3UX (SS)

Diesel boats forever!
KE3GK

Changed mind ...

Post by KE3GK »

Well, now that K3KLC has changed his original post to be more specific - that kind of leaves my posted response hanging doesn't it ? I guess he kind of - changed his mind - in print. That's OK, I am happy that he is more specific.

Now my question would be - Why would anyone go spend $600 for equipment that he doesn't need to do a trade with someone he doesn't know ? Why not just offer money and let the seller go out and purchase the equipment ? That kind of deal would sound real fishy to me to begin with.

Remember what PT BARNUM said.
K3KLC

WB2QWP

Post by K3KLC »

Mr. Moderator,

This will be my last input on this situation. I did offer to buy the radios cash so the gentleman could buy the rig of his choice. But, he suggested that he'd rather I found something for him. About that time, I made an assumption (I know,...they're dangerous) that he might be older and less familiar with the modern solid state gear. From his emails, I believed that he very likely had only the Hallicrafters rigs and a Swan 350. Well, I guess the "amateur", or maybe it was the "elmer", in me kicked in. I began to enjoy the thought that I would help this guy take the giant step from vacumn tubes to solid state. I remember when I did it...and the reliability increase alone astonished me. I wrote him about my search and discussed how great the solid state rigs were. Sure, I might have been a real dummy, but I was following my chosen approach to life and probably the amateur's code (although I don't have time to look it up this morning).

Here's the important element of my post: I was doing exactly what I had promised to do, on schedule and in good faith, when WB2QWP wrote me a nonsensical and aggressive email departing the deal.

If you think I was gullible...well, I guess I prefer being a little too trusting and trying to do what I think is right by the other guy ....over being so smart I'm not willing to help a fellow ham when I feel there is an opportunity!

As promised, this is my last post. I don't have time to continue. I thought my point was rather elementary. You are most welcome to second guess me for days if you wish.

VY 73

K3KLC
Last edited by K3KLC on Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
w5vk

WB2QWP Be cautious!

Post by w5vk »

Last year this ham advertised on QTH.COM to trade a newer xcvr for a simple solid state rig (stating the rig he had was too complicated) and when I replied offering a simple solid state rig (older, of course) that I thought would be very easy for anyone to operate..... he responded with a very rude email and then changed his advertisment online that he would not respond to "stupid" offers.

My rig operated 100%, was cosmetically clean and simple to operate and I offered to pay whatever difference in cash that we mutually agreed upon. I was offended by his rude, crude response and would strongly suggest you be cautious with this person.
K4ICL

Woody is OK...

Post by K4ICL »

I have had some dealings with Woody and you need to realize that he is 87 years old and still in the hobby. His eyesight is failing and, perhaps his sense of humor leaves him and he is bit cranky at times.

Communicating is a chore for him and so his messages are not as warm as some might like.

Regardless of his possible shortcomings, I have found Woody to be honest..

I hope I can do as well when I reach 87 years old.

Cheers,

AL
K4ICL
VE3TMT

Re: Woody is OK...

Post by VE3TMT »

[quote="K4ICL"]I have had some dealings with Woody and you need to realize that he is 87 years old and still in the hobby. His eyesight is failing and, perhaps his sense of humor leaves him and he is bit cranky at times.

Still no excuse for rudeness!
n5wrx

Re: Changed mind ...

Post by n5wrx »

KE3GK wrote: Now my question would be - Why would anyone go spend $600 for equipment that he doesn't need to do a trade with someone he doesn't know ?

Why would anyone pay more for equipment than it is worth?
If the equipment is worth what he paid then he can sell it.

He should have offered the cash and the information about where the fella could buy the equipment he wanted.

Life is full of lessons and most of them are not free.

Willee