Steven Starr - KB1GRJ - Shipping Scam ?

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
kf8jl

Steven Starr - KB1GRJ - Shipping Scam ?

Post by kf8jl »

I picked up an Icom 3at from Steven. We agreed on a price. He told me he would ship it "flat rate" for $15.00. The rig arrived and didn't work. I had to fix it!
Then I noticed the top of the box, the price for shipping was on it. it was only
$5.90 to ship. I just got an e-mail from Steven he said "THATS BEEN DONE FOR OVER 2 YEARS AND YOU HAVE BEEN THE ONLY ONE CRYING"
KB8GFF

No Honesty Anymore....

Post by KB8GFF »

Seems to me the least he could do since you had to fix the radio is send you the $10 back on the misquoted shipping.
Yeah, $10 is a minor amount but I believe it is the valued point that is noted worth for the return.
Jerks like this we don't need on QTH or anywhere far as I am concerned

Sorry you had to run across one.
w8jn

misquote

Post by w8jn »

sometimes you "guess" at a shipping price and its a dollar or two more or less. no big deal and you let it go. these guys who charge a "handling fee" are right up there with the "free" products, "just send $29.95 shipping and handling". why would someone beat you out of a measly $10 and ruin his reputation? then on top of it send you a misrepresented item. thanks for bringing him to our attention.
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

I assume you bought a complete Icom 3 and what puzzles me as due to weight and size of package how could he have shipped it for $15.00 let alone $5.90.Maybe i misread your article but would like that part explained.Also but if he had to take it to be delivered such as post office or UPS would not his time and wear and tear on his vehicle have justified the difference? Not defending nor accusing just asking.
Larry Huff K0pd
kf8jl

Post by kf8jl »

I assume you bought a complete Icom 3 and what puzzles me as due to weight and size of package how could he have shipped it for $15.00 let alone $5.90.Maybe i misread your article but would like that part explained.Also but if he had to take it to be delivered such as post office or UPS would not his time and wear and tear on his vehicle have justified the difference? Not defending nor accusing just asking.

Well the post office has a "flat" shipping price. For one flat price they (post office)
will ship anywhere in the U.S. With that being said, when you include the flat shipping into the price of the gear, now the price goes up for the item. Now, you have the guy money and you ship it non flat rate, you just made a profit.
As far as wear and tear on his vehicle?? I won't even reply to that.
KB8GFF

Post by KB8GFF »

I'll tackle the wear and tear on the vehicle part...

If you live in such a remote area where that wear and tear from mileage is going to effect or play a role your vehicle....
You should have asked more from the product your trying to sell to pay for a newer vehicle!!!.
Not gain profit from a rated shipping cost!!!

And as for guessing at postage for a product your trying to sell???
Thats nonsense also and show laziness on your part for not getting the right rate calculated.

gff..
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

I only mentioned wear and tear as that is usually figured in shipping cost by most businesses. I know my gas is not free nor the tires or any other parts. I was in the shipping business for quite a few years so i had some idea of cost. Being as i have not bothered to check the flat box rates i'll take your word on it. All i can say is i usually give a guesstimate on shipping and am usually no more than a couple of dollars off either way but i credit that to experience from the work i retired from. Being as you got a little uptight with my answer and a little insulting all i can say is if your that broke and going to cry over $9.10 cents which i'll grant you is a little to much difference and the guy should have offered at least half of it back and with that said i've heard less whining over $20.00 and the point you and any one else who sides with you is he told you upfront what his shipping charge would be and you accepted it at the time.
Larry Huff K0pd
W4LTD

Post by W4LTD »

lhuffk0pd wrote:Being as you got a little uptight with my answer and a little insulting all i can say is if your that broke and going to cry over $9.10 cents which i'll grant you is a little to much difference and the guy should have offered at least half of it back and with that said i've heard less whining over $20.00 and the point you and any one else who sides with you is he told you upfront what his shipping charge would be and you accepted it at the time.
Valid point, Larry!

I also did a stint in the shipping business and found that most people do not understand the [true] costs associated with shipping products. I just shipped a Kenwood TM-G707 last week and the Post Office charged me $13.45 for the medium-sized "Flat Rate" box -- with bubble-wrap, the radio, mic and power cord it just fit nicely.
kf8jl

Post by kf8jl »

I just want to say I paid for a service that I didn't get. Insted he put the money into his pocket! From what I have read, the next time I sell something, I need to charge for everything ie: gas for my car, If I should get a hole in my sock, wear and tear on my house door, the sun in my eyes. Where does this end?
The price was agreed apond for the item and the shipping. He set the price I agreed to it, then he did what he wanted to, make an extra buck. It's not about the $9.10 - it about being honest, don't forget, I have to fix the rig that was sold as "working great". I will look on this board from time to time, and laugh when this happens to you!!!
kb5pn

Post by kb5pn »

kf8jl wrote:I just want to say I paid for a service that I didn't get.
You paid for a service that you were in agreement with the price.......there's a difference
KB8GFF

Post by KB8GFF »

kb5pn wrote:
kf8jl wrote:I just want to say I paid for a service that I didn't get.
You paid for a service that you were in agreement with the price.......there's a difference
Ah..Yeah..Ok..73'
How convenient you make this sound. :roll:
No such thing as the truth any more among amateurs using this thread as a example. :?
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

KB8GFF said>>>How convenient you make this sound.
No such thing as the truth any more among amateurs using this thread as a example.<<<<<
Starting to sound like a Obama Democrat so since you are saying everyone on this thread is not truthful how about you prove that statement!! The only people that i know who call others thiefs or Liars with out proof are usually looking in the mirror.All i know is if some one said they Would Charge me $15.00 to ship a Ham Base radio i would consider it more than a fair price. Now if the complaint was he sold me a radio that was not working and said it was and on top of that charged me almost $10.00 more than it cost him to ship the broken radio then i would be on your side but not as the gripe has been presented.
Larry Huff K0pd