Scammers? You decide. I have made my decision.

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
N8ERM

Scammers? You decide. I have made my decision.

Post by N8ERM »

Flag this messageQTH.COM Ad -- AMERITRON AL-80B NICE CON...Saturday, June 20, 2009 8:48 PM
From: This sender is DomainKeys verified"anthony chales" <anthony6692>Add sender to ContactsTo: tmmorg@sbcglobal.netHello Seller,

How are you doing...? i am not a member of the site.....it's was my friend that tell me about there and i saw your ad and i really pick interest in buying it...i will like you to sell it for me...Thank you

Dear Terry Morgan N8ERM,

You have received a response to your ad, titled "AMERITRON AL-80B NICE CONDITION ", that you have running on the QTH.COM Free Ham Radio Classified Ads.

The response is from:

Name: Jonathon
Callsign:
E-mail: anthony6692@gmail.com

The response is:

Hello seller,
My name is Mr Jonathon, am from 25320 Madison Ave. STE A #147 Murrieta, CA 92562.
I'm highly interested in immediate purchase of your item Am very okay with the price and condition. But sorry i will not be able to make payment in CASH due to the fact that i will be leaving the state for FRANCE tomorrow on speculative purpose.
So as per payment, i will have to instruct my colleague to handle the payment, my colleague is presently in the state.
He has confirm me that there will be no problem about the payment.
He will issue out { CERTIFIED CHECK /BANK TRANSFER } which is 100% more like CASH in hand and could be verified and cashed by any bank ...
The CERTIFIED CHECK/BANK TRANSFER will be issued out by your name and mail out to your address via UPS courier service. The payment would only take 2-3 days to get to you.

This is the only means of payment I can offer you due to my departing schedule...

So to make payment out to you, you'll have to email me the:

1, Name to be written on the check.......................
2, Address to send the check......................
3, Your cell telephone number..............
4, And get back with the current price..........STATE...... and..... ZIP CODE.

About the pick-up, i will handle the SHIPPING CHARGES...
Shipment will be made through a reliable World Diplomatic Shipping Company.I have register with the shipping company for over 5 years now, they will handle shipping, they will have their agent from your state to come to your house for the immediate PICK UP as soon as payment is made...........
PLEASE NOTE ::YOUR ITEM WILL REMAIN WITH YOU.......... UNTIL PAYMENT IS CLEARED.

I will be looking forward to your responds
Best Regards.
KC0UKR

Post by KC0UKR »

What is there to decide?

This is one of the classic scam formats and I would hope anyone could spot it as such.

On the other hand,someone must fall for these or they would not try as they are so bad.
wx1f

Post by wx1f »

KC0UKR wrote:What is there to decide?

This is one of the classic scam formats and I would hope anyone could spot it as such.

On the other hand,someone must fall for these or they would not try as they are so bad.
I go along with them all the time...and make them spend money on fake checks. It's hilarious!! Enter funny names like: I freely...hahahaha!!!
w8jn

fun fun fun

Post by w8jn »

terry, its tons of fun playing with these guys. they have gotten smart over the past few years. it used to be that they would deal directly with you from nigeira. now they find some poor sap in the usa to be an intermediary with the check forwarding. i watched a special on tv showing some poor lady in the usa getting arrested by the feds because she answered an add "make big $$$ in your spare time from your home". she was the drop point for the checks and cash and would forward it along to nigeira. they are still fun to play with and i, also, have a drawer full of counterfeit cashiers checks that they sent to me. it must have cost them a ton to "next day" the checks to me by fed ex international. one of the scams ended with the scammer telling me i was going to cause his father to die of a "kidney stone" because i didnt send the money. he put a curse on me!!! fun fun fun... 73 paul w8jn
kd8fzh

I received the almost the same message from the same buyer

Post by kd8fzh »

Hey guy's, I received an e-mail from this same individual, furthermore, worded the same.

He did not even mention the item he was inquiring about. I have a shortwave radio listed at a Rock Bottom price and he was instrumental in indicated activity.
wx1f

Re: fun fun fun

Post by wx1f »

w8jn wrote:because i didnt send the money. he put a curse on me!!! fun fun fun... 73 paul w8jn
Paul...
So THAT'S where the tail came from ??!!!! :D
w8jn

you bet

Post by w8jn »

gordon, a long time ago i accepted that my role is to be the most annoying human on the planet! i take that as a daily challenge. hihi
best 73 paul w8jn
KM5FL

Re: fun fun fun

Post by KM5FL »

w8jn wrote:terry, its tons of fun playing with these guys. they have gotten smart over the past few years. it used to be that they would deal directly with you from nigeira. now they find some poor sap in the usa to be an intermediary with the check forwarding. i watched a special on tv showing some poor lady in the usa getting arrested by the feds because she answered an add "make big $$$ in your spare time from your home". she was the drop point for the checks and cash and would forward it along to nigeira. they are still fun to play with and i, also, have a drawer full of counterfeit cashiers checks that they sent to me. it must have cost them a ton to "next day" the checks to me by fed ex international. one of the scams ended with the scammer telling me i was going to cause his father to die of a "kidney stone" because i didnt send the money. he put a curse on me!!! fun fun fun... 73 paul w8jn
I don't get to have that kind of fun, they never reply to my ads.. :( :(

KM5FL
w8jn

fun

Post by w8jn »

nick,
scott has done an excellent job of keeping them off qth.com . usually they hit eham and qrz.com . they are lots of fun to play with... someday i will post the exchange i had with one. you will laugh so hard it will make you cry.
best 73 paul w8jn
KM5FL

Post by KM5FL »

Paul,
I've read some of those stories about the guys who bait those scammers.. Playing on their lack of English language skills and making 'em send comical pictures of themselves holding stupid signs and other such halarious shannigins.. I'd dearly love to drag one of those goons around by the nose. But, alas, due to Scott's skills, I'll probably never get the chance.. :wink:

Oh, by the way Scott.. Don't "let up", I'll survive some how... :D

KM5FL