Bad experiance with Doug Sipple WA3HRH

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
ki4ucw

Bad experiance with Doug Sipple WA3HRH

Post by ki4ucw »

I recently purchased an TS-950S from Doug Sipple - WA3HRH. I payed immediately with paypal upon seeing his ad on QTH. I had been looking for a 950 for quite some time and It was advertised as a 9.5 out of 10 cosmetically and working like new! I jumped on it!

The first thing i noticed when i received the unit was a dent in the top cabinet in the back of the radio. For me not a big deal, because it did not affect the main chassis and could be banged out. Let me also state that the box that the radio was shipped in was in perfect condition - not a mark or dent on it! Radio was packed with lots of bubble wrap and lots of styro peanuts - overall not a bad packing job - the box was a heavy duty cardboard type.

Next I powered the radio on and immediately discovered no audio through the main speaker - After thinking it over i decided to check the ext. speaker jack on the rear panel. It was loose. No big deal, I realized just a quick solder job. and it would then be fine.

The big problem was when i tried to transmit - Dead - No transmit ! It turns out the final board is bad - Mr. Sipple claims anything can happen in shipping!

I am currently in the process of repairing the board, but it cost me 3 days, with the help of another ham, of intense trouble shooting to find the problem.

When i discovered the no transmit, I called Doug and politely asked for a refund. I would return the radio (a heavy one at that!) on my dime and no one is out anything. Doug immediately refused saying, he doesn't do business that way and it is not his policy. He also put his wife on the phone who basically reinforced this strickt policy.

Mrs. Sipple told me she had already called Fedex, who they have an account with, and filed a claim (WOW that was fast!)

She explained to me with precision, that If Fedex approved the claim (remember the box is in perfect ciondition) that Fedex would refund them the cost of the radio, and then they would reimburse me. Fedex would then return the radio to them and they would keep the radio and original payment! I immediately got the feeling that they had gone through this process before.

She said Fedex would come pick the radio up at my house and inspect it off site and then they would let me know the descision on the claim.

I called Paypal, since i payed through their service, to get their opinion on this mess and they instructed me NOT to send the radio anywhere without first getting a refund because i would then have no recourse. In other words no radio and no refund and Paypal could not force a refund, since i didn't purchase on Ebay.

In my opinion finals in radios do not go bad in shipping. If the box was damaged i would have gladly went through with the claim, but it wasn't - I explained to Doug that finals do not go bad in shipping, and he refused to believe that, saying that anything was possible!

After all of this - i took my lumps and cut my ties with this seller. I will never do business with him again. It's chalked it up as a loss and now it's time to move on.

With that said, this was the worst experience i have ever had with buying radio equipment from anyone on QTH, EHAM or Ebay and i have purchased and sold quite a bit of equipment over the years between those 3 services.

I am posting this here because i feel it an obligation to warn other hams who are considering purchasing from Doug Sipple WA3HRH. This is my experience with a slick seller, yours maybe different.

If you want to contact me on this matter, feel free to do so.

You heard the story - You be the judge!

73S, John Ki4UCW
w8jn

thanks john

Post by w8jn »

john,
thanks for posting. this is important in preventing other hams from getting cheated by this guy. i hope you get some resolve from this. we have all heard the cock and bull story that the dead gear that we received with no damage to the box was somehow mysteriously invisibly internally damaged by the shipper. then the seller tells YOU to file a claim when fed ex ups only takes claims from the original shipper. your seller has deadbeat liar crook cheat written all over him. we need to brand a scarlet L (liar) on his forehead.
good luck and best 73 paul w8jn
ki4ucw

Post by ki4ucw »

Thanks for the support Paul - And thanks for having me bring this out in the open. If i can save one ham from going through a bad deal - it's worth it.

I originally posted an ad on the advice from my friend on the QTH ad site. We both were not aware that it was a no-no and against QTH policy to do that and i apoligized to scott. I understand where Scott is coming from on this.

Immediatley after posting that ad, an ad showed up from Doug Sipple with something to effect as "bad harrasing seller KI4UCW". Can you believe that!

i paid the guy immediately - he sends me a defective radio, not trasnmitting, among issues i was willing to overlook, and then has the nerve to say i'm a bad seller.

Do not be suprised if you see a response with something to the effect of "bad harrasing seller" from this guy here on the QTH Forum. I believe this guy is in the antiques business, he certainly has all angles covered and is very slick. do your homework before buying.

thx, john
N9LCD

Post by N9LCD »

John:

I think that this incident is one wherein nobody is 100% correct.

Last year, I sold a signal display unit and shipped it by FedEx ground in the manufacturer's original shipping carton. My buyer paid with USPS money orders.

The buyer received the shipment with no visible signs of damage to the outer shipping carton. However the unit was not fully functional; the entire trace was bunched up on one side of the CRT. There were no visible signs of damage to the SDU.

The buyer had to return the SDU to FedEx for their examination. FedEx, in turn, returned the unit to me. It was my responsibility to get a repair estimate from the manufacturer; negotiate the damage claim with FedEx; ship the SDU to the manufacturer; pay for the repairs; return the un it to the buyer; and reimburse myself with the claim proceeds.

BTW: The cause of the malfunction - a severe shock in transit broke the lead on a TO-5 pack voltage regulator. The lead had been bent 90 degrees for mounting when the unit was originally built.

That's how a FedEx claim works.

1 The buyer initiates the claim by notifying FedEx and the seller.

2 FedEx picks-up & inspects the allegedly damaged item before initiating the claims process.

3 FedEx claims must be submitted in writing by the seller.

4 It takes 10 days to two weeks after all documentation has been received for FedEx to approve a claim.

5 FedEx does not notify the buyer of the claim's status; they inform the seller.

N9LCD
ki4ucw

Post by ki4ucw »

N9LCD - I understand completely that things do get damaged in shipping, even if the box comes in ok.

But if a box is in perfect condition when received, with a 60lb radio inside, surrounded by 3 inches of bubble wrap, that is not ripped or punctured through and in addition is surrounded by foam peanuts, with 8 inches of foam on the bottom of the box - but yet the radio is dented in the top corner of the top cover, i am sorry but something is not right. it had to happen before it was shipped.

With that said it sounds like your rig was jossled around in the box and some wires came loose or such and causee damage.

wWth the radio i have received it has already been determined that the drivers on the final board were bad - hence no transmit. do you honestly believe that happened in shipping? I don't see it.

thx, john
N9LCD

Post by N9LCD »

John:

I stand corrected. If the finals tested bad, you've been had!

In Chicago, when something like your situation happens, we call it "Selling it to the insurance company".

I guess some hams would call it "Selling it to the carrier".

Jerry

N9LCD
w8jn

jerry you are correct

Post by w8jn »

jerry everything you detailed is 100% correct. on more that one occasion i have been in johns position where i have received a shipment that sustained absolutely no damage whatsoever and the seller was way to quick to talk about shipping damage instead of working through possible operator error. the seller knew it was dead out the door and tried to pull a fast one.
best 73 paul w8jn
WA3HRH

ts950

Post by WA3HRH »

i offered his money back and a complete refund if he sent it back all he would do is rant and rave and woulnt listen to me and refused to sent it back he wanted his money back before he sent it back which is not the way its done he also agreed to have fed ex look at it first then called them back and refused them aceess to it sounded funny to me it also wasnt dented when it left here doug sipple wa3hrh i tried everything to please him i got tired of being abused over the phone my wife will attest to that she tried too
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

Mr. Sipple what was unreasonable about you sending his money back before he shipped the radio back? Is that not how he bought it,he sent you the money and you shipped the radio.
Larry Huff K0pd
n9emz

Post by n9emz »

These situations are unfortunate. I hate any kind of ill will regardless of whether or not I incurred any responsibility for it. My policy has always been if anyone's dissatisfied with anything I sell, for any reason, I will refund every penny they spent and will pay return shipping....no questions asked....period. I refuse to negotiate any other kind of settlement.

I believe in my equipment or I wouldn't sell it. I take pains and incur added expense in my packaging to do all I can to insure it arrives safely. I trust people who send me money up front to the extent that I'm not going to question a complaint. Finally, I've experienced the grief of receiving something that didn't work and/or wasn't as described. I'm not going to inflict that grief on anyone else, regardless of who/what is responsible.

I understand why few others subscribe to my policy, and that's cool with me. This is the policy that has worked for me for 15 years and it's how I roll. If I find in the future it won't work for me I'll just quit selling.

Sam, N9EMZ
e-mail: n9emz@aol.com
WA3HRH

Post by WA3HRH »

[quote="lhuffk0pd"]Mr. Sipple what was unreasonable about you sending his money back before he shipped the radio back? Is that not how he bought it,he sent you the money and you shipped the radio.[/quote] the main reason is i have in the past received nothing back or a altered rig with components missing and thats the way its done at ebay and paypal and any other bussiness i know of doug
WA3HRH

Post by WA3HRH »

[quote="n9emz"]These situations are unfortunate. I hate any kind of ill will regardless of whether or not I incurred any responsibility for it. My policy has always been if anyone's dissatisfied with anything I sell, for any reason, I will refund every penny they spent and will pay return shipping....no questions asked....period. I refuse to negotiate any other kind of settlement.

I believe in my equipment or I wouldn't sell it. I take pains and incur added expense in my packaging to do all I can to insure it arrives safely. I trust people who send me money up front to the extent that I'm not going to question a complaint. Finally, I've experienced the grief of receiving something that didn't work and/or wasn't as described. I'm not going to inflict that grief on anyone else, regardless of who/what is responsible.

I understand why few others subscribe to my policy, and that's cool with me. This is the policy that has worked for me for 15 years and it's how I roll. If I find in the future it won't work for me I'll just quit selling.

73.[/quote]it would have been if he had gone thru the procedures up to the refund the damage he talked about dented i needed a photo none was ever sent i needed my insurance to look at it he refused i told him i would still refund his money he kept ranting and abusive talk over what i was saying i even said send me a bill i would pay to have it fixed at this point he said he was calling the fbi the cia etc then i told him off for the continuing to abuse me and my wife on the phone he hung up on me there were several phone calls all the same with verbal abuse with him talking over what i was saying
n9emz

Post by n9emz »

WA3HRH wrote:
n9emz wrote:These situations are unfortunate. I hate any kind of ill will regardless of whether or not I incurred any responsibility for it. My policy has always been if anyone's dissatisfied with anything I sell, for any reason, I will refund every penny they spent and will pay return shipping....no questions asked....period. I refuse to negotiate any other kind of settlement.

it would have been if he had gone thru the procedures up to the refund the damage he talked about dented i needed a photo none was ever sent i needed my insurance to look at it he refused i told him i would still refund his money he kept ranting and abusive talk over what i was saying i even said send me a bill i would pay to have it fixed at this point he said he was calling the fbi the cia etc then i told him off for the continuing to abuse me and my wife on the phone he hung up on me there were several phone calls all the same with verbal abuse with him talking over what i was saying
I fully understand and, based upon your explanation, I neither meant nor have anything critical to say about your position. I can easily imagine how frustrated and angry I would be if put in that position. By the same token, I understand the other party's position and my sympathies are divided....it's very unfortunate that you both failed to establish common ground in working out a mutually satisfactory solution.

In fact, if I were to experience such, I would most likely give up selling except for eyeball to eyeball transactions. I may very well opt for that anyhow. I've met some really fantastic people and done some great horsetrading with people via QTH listings.

I don't mind traveling a few hundred miles and eyeball/handshake deals are on an altogether higher plane of pleasure and satisfaction. Besides, shipping and associated costs are really beginning to drag me down.

I wish you both the best and may you not have a repeat experience like that.

Sam, N9EMZ
e-mail: n9emz@aol.com
ki4ucw

Post by ki4ucw »

sipple,

You are full of it! You offered no immediate refund - You insisted i go through Fedex to get a damaged claim refund! You even called Fedex immediately and filed a claim, even after i told you the radio was not transmitting and there was absolutely no damage to the box or inner packing. I asked you politely to refund my money and that i would even send the rig back on my dime - and you gave me some bull story about your policy!

I truly believe you knew this radio wasn't transmitting from the start and it was your intention to have Fedex cover your loss for a damaged radio after pawning it off on me. Don't give me this crap about policies. This is not about a dented radio, its about a radio that is dead on transmit that you stated was working like new. I am still swallowing my losses on this rig and you could care less. It's ok - i've moved on - like they say every dog has it's day!

Now i see you are advertising on QTH with "NONE" as your call sign, looking for an antenna analyzer! why don't you use your call sign Doug???

By the way how's the antique business going??

BUYER BEWARE!!!!!! BUYER BEWARE!!!! Very Slick Dealer!!
ki4ucw

Post by ki4ucw »

Heres a mesage i sent to Doug Sipple after seeing his ad on QTH using "NONE" as his call sign. I responded to Doug's ad via the QTH ad email system.

The response is:

Doug, I see your advertising with no call sign these days! - wonder why? I still have the non working ts-950s. It's sitting here very pretty just like i received it and dead as a door nail on transmit. When the Fedex guy came here to pick up the radio and asked to see the box, he laughed in my face saying "yeah right - you'll get a refund".

Like i said the radio is still here. Why don't you do the right thing and refund my money and i'll send the radio back and you can deal with it. 1000 bucks vs my reputation? - i'll take my reputation any day - do the right thing Doug!

<END>

It's a long shot, but lets see if Doug can do the right thing. The ball is in his court and so is his reputation. I would love to make this feedback right for the sake of Doug's reputation and the hobby.
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

As one retired from the small package business i can almost guarantee you if there was not proper packing material or no signs of any external damage to the package there will be no insurance paid.
Larry Huff K0pd
ki4ucw

Post by ki4ucw »

larry, thanks for the input! i just talked with a seller who did the right thing and refunded a buyer who purchased a radio from him that was damaged in shipping (great seller!)

the seller then tried to get the claim from fedex - with the busted packing and all he couldn't get a refund. he is now in small claims court trying to get his money back from fedex.

in this case fedex should refund the money, but its not easy.

thx, john
WA3HRH

Re: Bad experiance with Doug Sipple WA3HRH

Post by WA3HRH »

John,

The radio was in 9.5/10 fully working receiving and transmitting without any dents when I packed it in the box to ship to you. Items can be damaged in shipment even though the box is in mint condition. Items can get banged around and get loose inside the radio. Solder terminals can get broken especially radios that are over 10 years old.

For example say if you dropped this box that weighed 40 pounds onto the ground off the shipping/sorting belt which is probably 4 feet or so off the ground it may not show damage on the outside but things can get broken internally from the shock.

Here is my sequence of thinking when I hear that something doesn’t work as described when the buyer receives it:
1. Get the full details of what is specifically wrong with the item
2. Since I test every radio that it turns on, receives with audio, and transmits into a dummy load with power before I sell it that it is most likely the shipping company that damaged it in shipment. (This is why I was quick to go and contact FedEx and file a claim)
3. Contact the shipping company and file a claim for the item that could have been damaged in shipment.
4. Have the item as received looked at by the shipping company.

As you said yourself later you fixed the audio problem by plugging in an external speaker and unplugging it and it fixed the stuck audio jack.

You should have let FedEx look at the radio before trying to open it up and fix it yourself because even opening and closing the case can pinch a wire and cause the radio not to work.

I want to correct this situation in a calm manner. At this point I don’t think any one of us trusts the other to do anything in this situation. You don’t want to get scammed with a junk radio. I don’t want to get scammed by not having the radio or the money.

I apologize for posting bad remarks about you; I admit that that was a mistake.

Have you modified the radio in any way or removed any connections or worked on the radio? Please describe to me what exactly is wrong with the radio, to your knowledge. I noticed that you posted on eham.net: http://www.eham.net/forums/Elmers/223216 about the radio and how the finals weren’t bad in it.

Can you please send a picture of the dent in the radio?

You cancelled the claim to FedEx so no FedEx representative came to your door and laughed at you. Even if that would have happened you should have gone through with the claim inspection.

I will take back the radio if it is in the exact condition you received it in without modification. Also, you need to withdraw your forum post about me and give me my reputation as a seller back. I want to make everything right. We have to be trusting of each other, if that doesn’t happen this situation will continue to get worse.

I am in no way trying to scam you or take your money. I sold you a fully functional radio that I believe got damaged in shipping.

If possible I would like to have FedEx inspect the package, if it isn’t too late. If that is not possible, or FedEx won’t pay I will promptly go through with the return and refund process. But we need to go through with the normal business practice of you sending it back and I will inspect the radio and see if is to your description.

I don’t want a different radio or a boat anchor back and you don’t want to risk not getting your money back. At that time I will refund your money minus the shipping costs. We just need to trust each other and end this dispute.

Thank you for your cooperation,
Doug
ki4ucw

Post by ki4ucw »

The above message from Doug Sipple was a personal email he sent to me on 7/2/09 - he then posted it here - This has been going on now for 2 months. Doug has still noit refunded my money.

Doug do the right thing and refund my money to paypal and i will send the radio back on my dime. I explained to Doug that i have already resolved being ripped off by him on a 1000.00 radio. Doug do the right thing for the sake of your reputation and refund my money and i will retract this topic on the QTH forum.

Doug seems to think that Fedex needs to resolve this for me. Fedex has nothing to do with this. almost everyone i talked too, including the fedex delivery man has told me that the packaging was in pristine condition and no refund would be given by fedex.

I refuse to send this radio back to doug before getting a refund - He has lost my trust and now i call the shots. this has been the worst transaction i have ever had with anyone on QTH. I paid doug immediately upon seeing his ad for a radio that he gauranteed was working 100% - when i received the rig it had intermittant receive, a small dent (both of which i was willing to overlook) and worst of all completely dead on transmit.

Doug, the ham radio community is watching - do the right thing and give me my due refund and quit making excuses - lets get this behind us. The truth shall set you free and your reputation will be restored.

sincerely, john ki4ucw
WN8BOB

KENWOOD RADIO DISPUTE

Post by WN8BOB »

I myself,upon receivinbg a "DEAD" radio,would have asked to return it,just as I received it,I certainly would NOT have tried to fix it,then after failing to do,sothen asking for a refund,it has already been "Altered" from what was received.

This should have gone no further than just returning the radio to the seller for a refund,he could of then seen for himself the NON working radio before it was opened and tried to be repaired,that puts a whole different perspective on this transaction.

Anything I sell,I have fully checked out before hand by a local shop,then have the paperwork to back it up for any future use/problems.I have had none becasue of this practice.

BOB WN8BOB
ki4ucw

Post by ki4ucw »

Bob, i agree with you 100% -

how would you like purchasing a 1000 dollar radio, with no questions asked within minutes of it being posted on QTH, only to realize that it is not receiving or transmitting when you receive it.

you then contact the seller immediately upon receiving it (it takes 3 days for the seller to respond to the original phone call) and politely explain this to him - eventually asking for a refund.

he then tells you no - you have to send the rig to fedex for inspection for 2 or 3 weeks and await their descision for a claim. in the meantime their is absolutely not a dent, ding or bruise in the box or packaging material that a 60 pound radio was sent in.

fedex, paypal etc tell you basically that you are dreaming if you think fedex will pay the claim.

Bob, i have already resolved losing my 1000 dollars - i've moved on now - this has been going on for 2 months. read dougs last message - he talks alot about a fedex claim and says he'll refund my money and he wants his reputation back etc etc - there is only one thing doug can do at this point - and that's refund my money.

i'm not holding my breath -