SCAMMED BY kg4yaz

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
kc9paq

SCAMMED BY kg4yaz

Post by kc9paq »

Traded this guy a MFJ antenna tuner that worked for a dual band 2meter 70cm radio that was suppose to work great....well when I hooked it up it would key repeaters but no modulation at all contacted him and he said I was doing something wrong but took the radio to another ham and they said this radio has a bad Power Module and the person I got this from had to know it wouldnt modulate. so I contacted the person I got the radio from and told him the radio dont work and he said he would send me a money order for an agreed ammount well it has been a week and no email or any so called money order so beware! also saved all emails so if ya wanna say i am lying I can also post them too!
KC8KZY

Post by KC8KZY »

While not side-stepping your original complaint, if you are able to open a repeater, but no audio, the first thing I would check it the mic. If your "power module" was out, you most likely would not be able to open a repeater up. I would be especially leery if you have a RJ-45 ( 8 ) modular plug. Wires can break inside of the cable at the area of the strain relief, causing this type of problem.

I do hope the other party takes steps to make this right for you, regardless.
kc9paq

try new mic

Post by kc9paq »

well we did try another mic same model and still no audio took to another ham and he said the sav24 power module was out and it is hard to get them and if I did get one it would prob cost way more than the radio is worth being you can buy a new dual band radio for 250.00 and just a 2meter for 125.00
W8VVE

Post by W8VVE »

I gather it receives ok...and if so...I would be interested in buying it. You can contact me direct and tell me the make/model and what you are asking for it.
Tks...and 73...Sam W8VVE nwsam@ntelos.net
kc9paq

tryed simplex also

Post by kc9paq »

tried simplex also but still no audio have done some research on this model and there was a heat issue with this sav24 overheating and cracking causing a break in a trace on the board
KC8KZY

Re: try new mic

Post by KC8KZY »

kc9paq wrote:well we did try another mic same model and still no audio took to another ham and he said the sav24 power module was out and it is hard to get them and if I did get one it would prob cost way more than the radio is worth being you can buy a new dual band radio for 250.00 and just a 2meter for 125.00
Ok, well the SAV-24 is the 2meter PA, how does it work on 70cm? This reminds me, check the diode at the input to the PA, and I'm "reasonably" certain you can sub a SAV-17 in for the 24, with less output power.
kc9paq

scammed

Post by kc9paq »

Well I did rec the m/o for the tuner but still out the time and gas to drive 2 1/2 hours to make the trade so what else can I say except he has made good on this deal but It has sure tought me a lesson DONT BUY USED STUFF ALLWAYS BUY NEW THEN NO WORRIES!