Does this sound like the real deal?

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
N4PSN

Does this sound like the real deal?

Post by N4PSN »

Does this sound like a scam where they send you a check, then you get it cashed and then they say no I don't want it and you give them the money back and then the check comes back and you are out the money?
73, Larry

thanks for the responce i also need the antennas and the yaesu rotor so i lwill lkie you to get back to me with your full name and address including phone number.73

--- On Wed, 5/20/09, Larry Sheriff <sher9000> wrote:

Subject: Re: QTH.COM Ad -- For Sale- 100' Rohn 55G t...
To: "sandra" <sandyjeffson>
Date: Wednesday, May 20, 2009, 7:22 PM

Hi, the check will be fine but it will have to clear before whom ever you get to take the tower down can start. Do you want the antennas and the yaesu rotor?
With the 3 antennas and the yaesu rotor the total price is:$5700.00

thanks, Larry

----- Original Message ----- From: "sandra" <sandyjeffson>
To: <sher9000>
Cc: <sandyjeffson>
Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 7:40 PM
Subject: RE: QTH.COM Ad -- For Sale- 100' Rohn 55G t...

>
> Dear Larry E. Sheriff W4LES,
>
> You have received a response to your ad, titled "For Sale- 100' Rohn 55G tower ", that you have running on the QTH.COM Free Ham Radio Classified Ads.
>
> The response is from:
>
> Name: sandra
> Callsign: 0000
> E-mail: sandyjeffson@yahoo.com
>
> The response is:
>
> Hello,Let me know if this item is still available for sale. how much is the final price and how long as it been used.i will be paying with check. get back to me with the present condition of the item..you may send pictures if available.
>
> --------------------------------------------------------
> For your reference, here is a copy of the ad you are responding to:
>
> Listing Number: 742949
> Date Ad was Placed: 05/18/09
> Name: Larry E. Sheriff
> Phone Number: 8642479761
> Callsign: W4LES
> Category: TOWER
> Heading: For Sale- 100' Rohn 55G tower
> Ad Message:
> 100' rohn 55G with top plate, 2 rotor plates, 2 thrush bearings, 2 Guy brackets with torque bars, 21' mast. Guy wire , end grips, turnbuckles, 3-Hole Equalizer Plate's. No rust at all. Will need base for concrete.Buyer responseable for taking down and hauling.There is a Cushcraft 17b2 and a Cushcraft 617-6B and a Cushcraft 449-11 on top that can also be bought if the buyer wants them if not they will be listed later.$4250.0073, W4LES
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

Not sure it's a scam but if they still want it after reading this i would take the check to your bank and have them contact the bank it is written on and guarantee the funds are there and have the Check guaranteed.It will cost a couple of dollars but worth it. Also make sure it's a no refund sale.
Larry Huff K0pd
N4ATS

Post by N4ATS »

It is DEFINATELY a scam. Ask him a simple question. "What's your phone number so we can talk" , he will disappear... Been there done that...
73's from:
N4ATS
18.133 Mhz.
www.n4ats.com
KD4NUE

Re: Does this sound like the real deal?

Post by KD4NUE »

Thanks for the responce i also need the antennas and the yaesu rotor so i lwill lkie you to get back to me with your full name and address including phone number.73
Sounds like definite scam.

use of c in response - English is not a native languiage.

Using a Yahoo.com email address - can change this daily if needed, doesn't require an ISP, and can be checked, posted from or manipulated from any public hotspot, Internet access kiosk, or from most parking lots with a laptop and a wireless card.

A Valid Ham Call Sign can be used to source a mailing address in the FCC ULS. Insist on delivery to that address. Discovery of failure to keep the ULS mailing address current with the FCC will result in quicker forfeiture than 24 hour a day music broadcastin on Amateur Radio Frequencies.

You will get a Counterfeit Money Order or Cashier's Check in excess of the purchase and instructions for the buyer's agent to come to your loacation and retrieve the product after you send the excess money (with some kept for your trouble) back to them using a legitimate financial instrument.

I worked one of these scams, turned in the overnight envelope to the Secret Service (through local police), handled by edges, etc...

Secret Service said they didn't need any more evidence; no need for finger printing the envelope or check/money order.

They already had more than they needed, and apparently don't pursue this.

I know for a fact the Postal Inspectors don't waste time on fraud under $5000.00. They have failed to investigate 2 cases I turned in to them, and even failed to witness a transaction that was purposely scheduled to take place a biock from their office on a scam I tried to get their assistance on.

Like others said, make a pone call, and uinless the Money Order is a New USPS Money Order, or a verifyable Cashier's Check, either refuse it or wait until it officially clears and you bank is willing to produce paoerwork to that effect.

Otherwise, you own the financial responsibility for what you present to the bank.

David
KD4NUE
W4XQ

Yes it is a scam.

Post by W4XQ »

The first clue is the line, "Let me know if THIS ITEM is still available..." The scammers are too lazy to identify the item on the first email. There are a lot of other clues as well, as pointed out already.

Stay away! You'll wind up with a bad check and the money gone from your account.

Steve W4XQ
"Life Is Short. Eat Your Dessert First."