Why do some people lie?

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
N4ATS

Why do some people lie?

Post by N4ATS »

Why do some people lie?

Just an example: An Amateur Radio Operator who wanted an item, contacted me thru my web ( www.n4ats.com ) and asked if I would allow his purchase to be sent to me direct from the seller for modifications , then I forward it to the buyer. I agreed as I do that a lot for eBay buyers (Amateur Radio Only).

The item arrived, packaged pretty good but not the best. The unit had damage on the face plate and covers. I called the "buyer" and let him know it was not as described BUT I would take care of it for him so he will be "happy". I called the "seller" and told him about the situation and he stated "do what it takes, I will send you the funds"

Long story short, I put a brand new front panel on it, replaced the top cover, AND my labor was free, sent it to the new owner (who is a very happy camper now) and told the "seller" it will be $147. "no problem" he said, I will send you a M.O. out.

Responses from phone calls in this order (8 phone calls) :

1) I have to go get a M.O. at the post office
2) I was traveling out of town, will get it when I get back
3) I got the money order, no time to stop at the post office this week
4) I have to go get the money order, was gone for a few days
5) I sent the check out
6) I was out of town and could not get to the post office in time, will get the money order this week and send it out.
7) I sent a personal check ok, is this OK?

Ok, I look for the better in people as I love all, but holy cow, why not just speak the truth the first time?

The rule is:

When you lie, you have to remember everything.
When you tell the truth, you don't need to remember any of it.

Anyways, I made one guy happy, got burned from another.... Is that a balance?
Last edited by N4ATS on Mon May 18, 2009 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
73's from:
N4ATS
18.133 Mhz.
www.n4ats.com
K4ICL

Questions...

Post by K4ICL »

Just an example: An Amateur Radio Operator who wanted an item, contacted me thru my web
One of the main purposes of a Feedback Forum is to learn who to avoid dealing with as well as who would be good to deal with.

Who is the "Amateur Radio Operator"?

We know WHY we should avoid him but we don't know WHO he is!

If we are not told who he is, what is the point of posting this in a feedback forum?

Thanks...

K4ICL
N4ATS

Post by N4ATS »

I will fill in that blank soon , I really wanted some feedback on the original question which I am sure others here in the forum have encountered as well. I would like to know how others handle situations like this.

Please give it a day or two , then you may remove it if you desire...
73's from:
N4ATS
18.133 Mhz.
www.n4ats.com
N6VMO

Post by N6VMO »

Looks like he has tried every excuse except for the ol' 'hospital stay' routine.
:roll:
w8jn

its a shame

Post by w8jn »

bill,
some people would destroy their reputation for $1. i am always amazed! if i sent out a $3000 rig and the buyer wasnt happy, i would send their money back. i know you are the same. it is obvious the 7000 was not damaged in shipment. the seller figured he could "pull a fast one" and now for $170 and having his reputation trashed, he will not be able to sell anything else!!!
73 paul w8jn
N4ATS

Post by N4ATS »

Hi Paul , Yes , you know me well. If I do not receive payment in a few days , I will edit the comments and plug in the call sign and name for everyone. It just amazes me , I bend over backwards for people and every now and then , Wham... I guess its part my fault as I trust people and look for the good.

It's a shame our world is changing and it not changing for the better.

I have several hams a month that leave my shop with free service only because they can't afford things or on fixed income or whatever but they ALWAYS try to offer something for my services.

If I see it is well justified someone is hurting , I always say , "hey no problem , take it home and enjoy it, its on me"

I have a real problem when someone sells something , KNOWS it's not what they say , TAKES the money then slams the door shut like the above.

I am keeping his call out of this thread because in hopes he will read it and follow thru with his commitments.
73's from:
N4ATS
18.133 Mhz.
www.n4ats.com
N4ATS

Post by N4ATS »

The check finally came today , Thanks QTH for keeping this posting up. He read it , felt bad and sent payment. (at least that's what I think)
73's from:
N4ATS
18.133 Mhz.
www.n4ats.com
N8ERM

Feeling good.

Post by N8ERM »

Bill,
I would feel good too if I had the guys call that forced you to jump through hoops to get your money. Sounds like he doesnt know how to pack gear at all? If I have to buy packing material I do. If you go the extra mile you won't have the problems that this ham created. Pack it correctly and then add some more protection. The shipping company don't want to bother with your clams. They want to just take your money. Damaged in spite of your great packing ability? Go the extra mile and keep at them until they pay no matter how long it takes. Ask for packing instructions from others if you have questions. There are a lot of hams on this site that are always willing to help.
Good trading, selling and trading.
Terry N8ERM
N4ATS

Post by N4ATS »

Yep, I agree. I have had over 500 Yaesu FL-7000's come through me already and after only a few bad packing jobs during the first few amps that came in, I posted a link on my web how to pack them right. ( n4ats.com under shipping instructions ) I ALWAYS tell people if you are going to send me an amplifier, follow these instructions. He knew this as well BUT neglected to follow them. I only get about 1 in 25 that are not packed correct as a result of the link.
73's from:
N4ATS
18.133 Mhz.
www.n4ats.com