Beware of: KC9OWA

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
Locked
ne6v
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:54 am
Contact:

Beware of: KC9OWA

Post by ne6v » Fri May 01, 2009 2:55 pm

Details: KC9OWA contacted me regarding a 2 mtr yagi for sale. on 04/18/2009. He said he wanted it and would paypal me pymt. He did a E-CHECK, if anyone knows paypal, they suggest the seller NOT SHIP until PAYMENT clears. I received notice from PAYPAL of the check clearing on Friday 04/22/2009. I was not in all day, so I got the notice when I arrived home that evening. Upon receipt of notice I paid for and printed the shipping label. On Saturday 04/23/2009 the antenna was transported to the local post office for delivery. The antenna being new and in its box, was shipped USPS parcel post. Those take 7-10 to arrive. Today, 05/01/2009, I received notice from PAYPAL that Cliff kc9owa, filed a dispute about a package not being shipped or received! I was shocked, of course I and PAYPAL and him, have the tracking number. Now, PAYPAL has put my account on hold pending the outcome of this!! Now, CLIFF you could have called me, you could have emailed me, but NO YOU WENT straight for the DISPUTE!! If you wanted it faster or shipped the day you paid then do an INSTANT PAYMENT and NOT AN E-CHECK!! So just great a headache I didn't need! We are ham operators=communicators=communications...CLIFF YOU SHOULD HAVE ASKED ME FIRST.

So sellers becareful of this DUDE, he is an obvious DRAMA LOVER and I expect nothing but headaches from him!! So if you sell to him be ready!!
73
de
NE6V
Last edited by ne6v on Sat May 02, 2009 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

w8jn
Posts: 619
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2003 1:21 pm

sad but true

Post by w8jn » Sat May 02, 2009 5:26 am

unfortunately the vast majority of scams by fellow hams, bad packing, cb smoked amateur gear, and headaches come from tech class amateurs. i dont buy from them and only accept pmo's if i sell to them. you sold to a tech. in this case, "seller beware"..
happy trading 73 paul w8jn

N4XTS
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:12 am
Location: Atlanta, GA
Contact:

Post by N4XTS » Sat May 02, 2009 11:28 am

yeah, like there are no losers who happen to have extra class ham licenses...
dude get a life OF...you just proved my point why amateur radio is a big turn off for newcomers with a crap attitude like yours.

A class of license does not dictate one's character. If that is the case, please explain what I hear on 80 and 20 meters. Last I checked, most of the LIDS down there are generals and extras but hey you go pal- keep on with it.
Amateur radio gets right through.

kg4mlo
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:28 am

Re: sad but true

Post by kg4mlo » Sat May 02, 2009 11:30 am

w8jn wrote:unfortunately the vast majority of scams by fellow hams, bad packing, cb smoked amateur gear, and headaches come from tech class amateurs. i dont buy from them and only accept pmo's if i sell to them. you sold to a tech. in this case, "seller beware"..
happy trading 73 paul w8jn

What is wrong here? Did this guy get dropped on his head at birth? This is the same one advertises empty Kenwood boxes for $150 and says they sell like hotcakes. He sure don't sound like a "FELLOW HAM" to me :( :( :(

w8jn
Posts: 619
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2003 1:21 pm

the truth

Post by w8jn » Sat May 02, 2009 12:15 pm

not passing any judgment, just making a truthful observation. go through the negative feedback and look at the license class of the person in question. you will find that "techs" lead the way in complaints. i have already done this and the truth is its own defense. buying from a tech? selling to a tech? beware!
*** interesting side note... i have never done any business with kg4mlo. i could not pick him out of a crowd of one, however, i do get unwanted harassing stalking emails from him, you know the type... kind of thinks he is your mom. sends you nasty emails telling you his opinion of your ad, (price, condition, description etc). doesnt buy anything, just needs to tell you how you should conduct your business with other people. reminds me of the third grader who has to walk all the way across the classroom to butt into your business and when you ignore him, he has to "tell on you"... ask yaesu to send you an original factory box with styro inserts box for free... ask kenwood to send you an original factory box with styro inserts for free and listen to the laughter on the other end when they hang up on you.....
Last edited by w8jn on Sat May 02, 2009 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ne6v
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:54 am
Contact:

This isn't an issue of license class at all.

Post by ne6v » Sat May 02, 2009 12:32 pm

I have no idea what class of license Cliff has. I never referenced his license class in my initial post, because that has nothing to do with it at all. This is an issue of, handling business properly, communicating with customer/client, just acting like a reasonable adult. My issue here is rather simple. The buyer Cliff, should have contacted me or at least attempted to before running to paypal and file a false and incorrect dispute. In addition to that, I did send cliff an email Friday May 1 , 2009 regarding this exact issue. I have yet to receive any sort of reply from Cliff via email , or phone call .

KC8KZY
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:01 am

Post by KC8KZY » Sat May 02, 2009 7:18 pm

I have to ask, did you send the buyer an email explaining that you would be waiting for the e-check to clear? Your buyer may not have been clear that there would be a delay. Also, when did you send the "tracking" number? Since you mention Parcel Post, I am guessing you shipped delivery confirmation. Has it arrived yet, or passed through a major distribution point? Your time frames seem reasonable, in light of what you have posted. Just wondering if the buyer was kept in the loop, as well.

ne6v
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:54 am
Contact:

Post by ne6v » Sat May 02, 2009 8:55 pm

KC8KZY Posted: Sat May 02, 2009 11:18 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have to ask, did you send the buyer an email explaining that you would be waiting for the e-check to clear? Your buyer may not have been clear that there would be a delay. Also, when did you send the "tracking" number? Since you mention Parcel Post, I am guessing you shipped delivery confirmation. Has it arrived yet, or passed through a major distribution point? Your time frames seem reasonable, in light of what you have posted. Just wondering if the buyer was kept in the loop, as well.
To answer your questions: I did NOTadvise the buyer the item would not be shipped until I get a "all clear" from paypal. The reason being, I expect anyone using PAYPAL to be knowledgable of the "SOP". I'am not a teacher nor an instructor. It takes just a small amout of common sense for some one to think if they paid by a "check" be it a "E" check or conventional, one would expect shipping to be delayed until the item clears. I believe that is common knowledge.Per pay pal's user agreement: Items under 250.00 -DO NOT NEED TO BE SHIPPED WITH A SIGNATURE CONFIRMATION, but ALL SHIPMENTS MUST HAVE A DELIVERY CONFIRMATION. The shipment in question was a 130.00 item there for, a delivery confirmation was set up in the shipping request / setup. Did I email him the tracking number? No that service is provided by paypal when a seller enters or pays for shipping on the paypal web site. Parcel Post is a service provided for by the US post office. if you have shipped through paypals shipping service, and if you ship via the US Post office, you would know the USPO does NOT provide any tracking updates while enroute. The only update information provided is when the shipment is arranged/started and once it is delivered or if delivery has been attempted but unsuccessful, etc. There are no updates provided while enroute.

The buyer may not stay on top of his email, I say this because I did email him on May 1, 2009. I have yet to receive a response or reply.

There is only so much a seller can do, I feel I have done everything I could and should do.
73
de
ne6v

KC8KZY
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:01 am

Post by KC8KZY » Sat May 02, 2009 9:59 pm

ne6v wrote: To answer your questions: I did NOTadvise the buyer the item would not be shipped until I get a "all clear" from paypal. The reason being, I expect anyone using PAYPAL to be knowledgable of the "SOP". I'am not a teacher nor an instructor. It takes just a small amout of common sense for some one to think if they paid by a "check" be it a "E" check or conventional, one would expect shipping to be delayed until the item clears. I believe that is common knowledge.Per pay pal's user agreement: Items under 250.00 -DO NOT NEED TO BE SHIPPED WITH A SIGNATURE CONFIRMATION, but ALL SHIPMENTS MUST HAVE A DELIVERY CONFIRMATION. The shipment in question was a 130.00 item there for, a delivery confirmation was set up in the shipping request / setup. Did I email him the tracking number? No that service is provided by paypal when a seller enters or pays for shipping on the paypal web site. Parcel Post is a service provided for by the US post office. if you have shipped through paypals shipping service, and if you ship via the US Post office, you would know the USPO does NOT provide any tracking updates while enroute. The only update information provided is when the shipment is arranged/started and once it is delivered or if delivery has been attempted but unsuccessful, etc. There are no updates provided while enroute.

The buyer may not stay on top of his email, I say this because I did email him on May 1, 2009. I have yet to receive a response or reply.

There is only so much a seller can do, I feel I have done everything I could and should do.
73
de
ne6v
I have shipped USPS delivery confirmation, and you are wrong. They do scan a package when it hits a major hub, and this information is available online. Not always timely, but it is there. I missed the part about you using paypal to ship, so yeah, he got notice that you generated the label as soon as you finished. It does sound like he may not be on top of his mail, or has limited access to a computer. Good luck with it, hope you don't get stuck for the money AND the antenna.

Tom

K9XR
Posts: 418
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:51 pm

Re: Beware of: KC9OWA

Post by K9XR » Sat May 02, 2009 10:56 pm

ne6v wrote:Details: KC9OWA contacted me regarding a 2 mtr yagi for sale. on 04/18/2009. He said he wanted it and would paypal me pymt. He did a E-CHECK, if anyone knows paypal, they suggest the seller NOT SHIP until PAYMENT clears. I received notice from PAYPAL of the check clearing on Friday 04/22/2009. I was not in all day, so I got the notice when I arrived home that evening. Upon receipt of notice I paid for and printed the shipping label. On Saturday 04/23/2009 the antenna was transported to the local post office for delivery. The antenna being new and in its box, was shipped USPS parcel post. Those take 7-10 to arrive. Today, 05/01/2009, I received notice from PAYPAL that Cliff kc9owa, filed a dispute about a package not being shipped or received! I was shocked, of course I and PAYPAL and him, have the tracking number. Now, PAYPAL has put my account on hold pending the outcome of this!! Now, CLIFF you could have called me, you could have emailed me, but NO YOU WENT straight for the DISPUTE!! If you wanted it faster or shipped the day you paid then do an INSTANT PAYMENT and NOT AN E-CHECK!! So just great a headache I didn't need! We are ham operators=communicators=communications...CLIFF YOU SHOULD HAVE ASKED ME FIRST.

So sellers becareful of this DUDE, he is an obvious DRAMA LOVER and I expect nothing but headaches from him!! So if you sell to him be ready!!
73
de
NE6V

First of all, your day of week/dates don't make any sense, at least not according to my calendar. Second of all, why in the world would you ship anything Parcel Post, when, for very little more you can ship Priority? It wll get there in less than half the time, and will generally make your customers much happier. A couple of bucks could have saved a lot of trouble in this case.

N4XTS
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:12 am
Location: Atlanta, GA
Contact:

Re: the truth

Post by N4XTS » Sun May 03, 2009 6:48 am

w8jn wrote:not passing any judgment, just making a truthful observation. go through the negative feedback and look at the license class of the person in question. you will find that "techs" lead the way in complaints. i have already done this and the truth is its own defense. buying from a tech? selling to a tech? beware!
*** interesting side note... i have never done any business with kg4mlo. i could not pick him out of a crowd of one, however, i do get unwanted harassing stalking emails from him, you know the type... kind of thinks he is your mom. sends you nasty emails telling you his opinion of your ad, (price, condition, description etc). doesnt buy anything, just needs to tell you how you should conduct your business with other people. reminds me of the third grader who has to walk all the way across the classroom to butt into your business and when you ignore him, he has to "tell on you"... ask yaesu to send you an original factory box with styro inserts box for free... ask kenwood to send you an original factory box with styro inserts for free and listen to the laughter on the other end when they hang up on you.....
this is flawed logic, if anything, basic math should tell you there are more Tech class licenses than General, grandfathered Advanced and Extras- so I don't see it as systematic that all Techs are poor sellers, they just outnumber other classes by almost 5 fold.

So again, your experienced is based on, what...a handful of hams who just happened to be techs? This is akin to a blanket statements that all brunettes are cheaters, or all black women are all hood rats. Your statement is based solely on your bias against lower license class and limited personal experience with a handful of INDIVIDUALS with poor character. Their having a technician class license is a coincidence, no other than them all owning a Ford, or all wearing plaid shirts, or whatever else your mind can concoct to put yourself in a class above another human being. Elitist mentality at work!

Your blanket characterization of all technician class operators is what I find troubling. I've been a tech for close to 20 years, a novice before that, at age 9. I work in telecommunications for a major metro Atlanta health system. I co-chair an amateur radio based community service organization in metro Atlanta, WC4RAV Radio Amateur Volunteers. Most of the new members of our organization are technician class licenses. We use amateur radio as a tool to serve the community in which we live, work and recreate. We use it because it WORKS when our 60 million dollar digital radio system doesn't. We use it because it's flexible, we can slap up a repeater or simplex net in no time. We use it because with few exceptions, the amateur radio community is comprised of professionals from all walks of life who have at least a modicum of desire to help out. They understand the great resource the amateur radio service can be for their community, regardless of what license class one is.

Many of them are also members of various public safety agencies including the Fulton County, GA Sheriff's Office, Marietta, GA Fire department and others. So are these technician licensees scammers? I have been buying and selling amateur radio and professional LMR gear here and on QRZ, RadioReference and Batlabs (User ID is MTS2000DES). I don't have ONE negative and I guarantee you I have sold and traded more gear than you, so I am a "scammer" simply because I have a tech ticket and am enjoying amateur radio as a hobby and a community service tool?

Gee no wonder people RUN don't WALK away from ham radio with attitudes of hate like yours...nice example you are setting for new hams W8JN. Everytime some extra class shows their rear end like this I put off upgrading. Why in the world would I want to spend thousands on fancy HF gear to talk to a bunch of negative haters such as yourself when I can stay on VHF, UHF and 900 and play with more modern technology (D-Star, P25, APRS and EchoLink/IRLP) and be with people who want to advance the service not keep it stuck in 1965, and use it to serve our community not just ourselves.

You said a mouthful. Thanks for your insight, it is very informative.
Amateur radio gets right through.

ne6v
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:54 am
Contact:

Post by ne6v » Sun May 03, 2009 8:44 am

K9XR Posted: Sat May 02, 2009 2:56 pm Post subject: Re: Beware of: KC9OWA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ne6v wrote:
Details: KC9OWA contacted me regarding a 2 mtr yagi for sale. on 04/18/2009. He said he wanted it and would paypal me pymt. He did a E-CHECK, if anyone knows paypal, they suggest the seller NOT SHIP until PAYMENT clears. I received notice from PAYPAL of the check clearing on Friday 04/22/2009. I was not in all day, so I got the notice when I arrived home that evening. Upon receipt of notice I paid for and printed the shipping label. On Saturday 04/23/2009 the antenna was transported to the local post office for delivery. The antenna being new and in its box, was shipped USPS parcel post. Those take 7-10 to arrive. Today, 05/01/2009, I received notice from PAYPAL that Cliff kc9owa, filed a dispute about a package not being shipped or received! I was shocked, of course I and PAYPAL and him, have the tracking number. Now, PAYPAL has put my account on hold pending the outcome of this!! Now, CLIFF you could have called me, you could have emailed me, but NO YOU WENT straight for the DISPUTE!! If you wanted it faster or shipped the day you paid then do an INSTANT PAYMENT and NOT AN E-CHECK!! So just great a headache I didn't need! We are ham operators=communicators=communications...CLIFF YOU SHOULD HAVE ASKED ME FIRST.

So sellers becareful of this DUDE, he is an obvious DRAMA LOVER and I expect nothing but headaches from him!! So if you sell to him be ready!!
73
de
NE6V



First of all, your day of week/dates don't make any sense, at least not according to my calendar. Second of all, why in the world would you ship anything Parcel Post, when, for very little more you can ship Priority? It wll get there in less than half the time, and will generally make your customers much happier. A couple of bucks could have saved a lot of trouble in this case.


KC8KZY Posted: Sat May 02, 2009 1:59 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ne6v wrote:
To answer your questions: I did NOTadvise the buyer the item would not be shipped until I get a "all clear" from paypal. The reason being, I expect anyone using PAYPAL to be knowledgable of the "SOP". I'am not a teacher nor an instructor. It takes just a small amout of common sense for some one to think if they paid by a "check" be it a "E" check or conventional, one would expect shipping to be delayed until the item clears. I believe that is common knowledge.Per pay pal's user agreement: Items under 250.00 -DO NOT NEED TO BE SHIPPED WITH A SIGNATURE CONFIRMATION, but ALL SHIPMENTS MUST HAVE A DELIVERY CONFIRMATION. The shipment in question was a 130.00 item there for, a delivery confirmation was set up in the shipping request / setup. Did I email him the tracking number? No that service is provided by paypal when a seller enters or pays for shipping on the paypal web site. Parcel Post is a service provided for by the US post office. if you have shipped through paypals shipping service, and if you ship via the US Post office, you would know the USPO does NOT provide any tracking updates while enroute. The only update information provided is when the shipment is arranged/started and once it is delivered or if delivery has been attempted but unsuccessful, etc. There are no updates provided while enroute.

The buyer may not stay on top of his email, I say this because I did email him on May 1, 2009. I have yet to receive a response or reply.

There is only so much a seller can do, I feel I have done everything I could and should do.
73
de
ne6v


I have shipped USPS delivery confirmation, and you are wrong. They do scan a package when it hits a major hub, and this information is available online. Not always timely, but it is there. I missed the part about you using paypal to ship, so yeah, he got notice that you generated the label as soon as you finished. It does sound like he may not be on top of his mail, or has limited access to a computer. Good luck with it, hope you don't get stuck for the money AND the antenna.

Tom

K9XR, you are corrrect. i was using the correct dates but I was looking at the month of May. So I was incorrect, but the dates are VERY CORRECT. Also regarding the parcel post issue,as they say, there's a first time for everything...I don't think I'll be using parcel post in the future.

Now, Tom, you shipped using the USPS but did you arrange the shipping and pay for it from PAYPAL while you're logged on?The arrangements PayPal and the carrier have made includes a few "freebies" like the delivery conformation is free, go to a post office they will charge you. I believe a part of that arrangement is the no updates.

73 :idea:

Locked